Can You Have A Temporary Herxheimer Reaction Switching To A More Peat Recommended Way Of Eating?

Hildy

Thoughts anyone?

As many on the forum have done and are doing, I have recently switched to eating more sugar- i.e orange juice, more fruit etc. That's huge for me, coming from the more Keto way of eating where sugar is demonized. Plus, I've also started drinking more milk and eating more calcium rich foods and upping my vitamin D levels.

While I (think) my body temperature is increasing- I went from a usual waking temperature of 97 to a temperature of 97.6 this morning upon awaking. And where I live, it's much colder than it's been. Yesterday, I ate a lot more sugar so I guess I have to attribute the rise in temperature to that. So that's a good thing I assume.

But I also feel a bit nauseous today- stomach feels a little queasy and I just feel "off". A little light headed. Haven't eaten anything today yet as a result. I'm asking more "seasoned" Peat forum members if they have experienced this before. Would it be recommended to increase more protein to counterbalance the increase in sugar intake?

Dobbler

Your stress hormones and free fatty acids are probably high from keto, so your body doesn't know how to use sugar yet and can't utilize it. It will probably take a while for your body to start using sugar again as preferred fuel.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I completely agree with @Dobbler.

I’ve read and experienced for myself that it can take a couple weeks (or more) to adjust to any major change in diet.

How much milk are you are drinking? If it is beyond what your body can handle right now that can be causing the queasy feeling. It takes a little time for the lactase enzyme production to ramp up if someone hasn’t been drinking milk regularly.

Does cheese agree with you?

OP
Hildy

Hildy

Your stress hormones and free fatty acids are probably high from keto, so your body doesn't know how to use sugar yet and can't utilize it. It will probably take a while for your body to start using sugar again as preferred fuel.
Ok thanks! Yes I think you are right! I am focusing on minimizing PUFA which I hadn't realized was so bad.

I lost 20 lbs. doing Keto. But then I stopped doing Keto, ate some carbs, more PUFA and gained back the 20 pounds. I'm tall and have pretty good muscle tone so I carry my weight fairly well, but when I gained back the weight, it went to my middle which I am not happy with. Weird how that happened.

OP
Hildy

Hildy

I completely agree with @Dobbler.

I’ve read and experienced for myself that it can take a couple weeks (or more) to adjust to any major change in diet.

How much milk are you are drinking? If it is beyond what your body can handle right now that can be causing the queasy feeling. It takes a little time for the lactase enzyme production to ramp up if someone hasn’t been drinking milk regularly.

Does cheese agree with you?
Yeah, I am fine with cheese. Since learning about Ray Peat's work, I have started drinking enough milk and eating calcium rich foods (something I never really did before) to get to ( my goal) of getting 1,200 Mgs of calcium. Milk doesn't appear to be a problem. It seems to agree with me.

But yesterday, I just didn't feel like drinking a whole lot of milk and instead had much more sugar than usual and today I was feeling queasy and light headed. Just had some dairy with my orange juice today and am feeling a little better -but I wonder if was the fact that I didn't have enough protein with the sugar yesterday that made me feel this way today?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yeah, I am fine with cheese. Since learning about Ray Peat's work, I have started drinking enough milk and eating calcium rich foods (something I never really did before) to get to ( my goal) of getting 1,200 Mgs of calcium. Milk doesn't appear to be a problem. It seems to agree with me.

But yesterday, I just didn't feel like drinking a whole lot of milk and instead had much more sugar than usual and today I was feeling queasy and light headed. Just had some dairy with my orange juice today and am feeling a little better -but I wonder if was the fact that I didn't have enough protein with the sugar yesterday that made me feel this way today?
That could be. Are you tracking with cronometer or some other nutrition app?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
When I switched from VLC to a more Peat inspired style of eating 6 years ago I found a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein necessary. Everyone is different but if your gut instinct is telling you that needed more protein I’d honor that and be mindful of balancing your meals/snacks at least for now.

OP
Hildy

Hildy

When I switched from VLC to a more Peat inspired style of eating 6 years ago I found a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein necessary. Everyone is different but if your gut instinct is telling you that needed more protein I’d honor that and be mindful of balancing your meals/snacks at least for now.
Yes I do think it was that- ate more protein today and am feeling better. Balance is everything....sugar is good but it has to be balanced with the other things-

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yes I do think it was that- ate more protein today and am feeling better. Balance is everything....sugar is good but it has to be balanced with the other things-
Yes, I’m glad you’re feeling better.

OP
Hildy

Hildy

Yes, I’m glad you’re feeling better.
Thank you kindly Blossom :):

Takes a while to find the right "balance"-there's that word again lol. But it's true. Really takes a lot of experimenting. And time too, I realise.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thank you kindly Blossom :):

Takes a while to find the right "balance"-there's that word again lol. But it's true. Really takes a lot of experimenting. And time too, I realise.
You’re welcome, I’m still finding balance myself. :)

Thoughts anyone?

As many on the forum have done and are doing, I have recently switched to eating more sugar- i.e orange juice, more fruit etc. That's huge for me, coming from the more Keto way of eating where sugar is demonized. Plus, I've also started drinking more milk and eating more calcium rich foods and upping my vitamin D levels.

While I (think) my body temperature is increasing- I went from a usual waking temperature of 97 to a temperature of 97.6 this morning upon awaking. And where I live, it's much colder than it's been. Yesterday, I ate a lot more sugar so I guess I have to attribute the rise in temperature to that. So that's a good thing I assume.

But I also feel a bit nauseous today- stomach feels a little queasy and I just feel "off". A little light headed. Haven't eaten anything today yet as a result. I'm asking more "seasoned" Peat forum members if they have experienced this before. Would it be recommended to increase more protein to counterbalance the increase in sugar intake?

I would advise not to take sugar isolated,but only by Fruit,like Bananas.Vitamin B deficiency is very real and highly toxic.More Protein is almost always good.The highest life-expectancy in japanese women is reached by those who had the highest amount of animal Protein.
No Twix refeeds please.

Protein-Target 1.6g to 2.2g Protein per Kilogram Bodyweight.In times of stress and aging,+50% of that on top.it should also be meat or lean fish-based.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals