Low TSH and cognition

cdg

My TSH is very low less than .01 mlU/G and my doctor says this will affect my cognition in due course, but I recall from somewhere Ray has saying that lower is the better. Should appreciate any comments thx.

My TSH is very low less than .01 mlU/G and my doctor says this will affect my cognition in due course, but I recall from somewhere Ray has saying that lower is the better. Should appreciate any comments thx.

Dr. Peat always said lower is better. What is the reason the doctor claims low TSH correlates with low cognition? I don’t get this.

OP
cdg

cdg

Thanks for the confirmation. The doctor said that there was some evidence that this could happen but did no elaborate. I just ignored it as most docs have no clue of Rays work and they just follow the script.

AmandaWald

Could be from this study?

And it's people who were taking T4-only so not relevant at all if your low TSH is from taking T3 and or T3 with T4.

The resulting problems are because these people were treated wrongly and their hypothyroidism was never really dealt with. So maddening that there is so much nonsense out there on this subject.

mostlylurking

My TSH was .02 when I was very hypothyroid because I was taking Armour desiccated thyroid and it stopped working because the company changed owners and they changed their formula. My hypothyroid symptoms were pretty severe; I had developed rheumatoid arthritis and my brain fog was pretty bad. My 82 year old endocrinologist told me he had seen the low TSH before and chose to treat me using the rest of the test (T4, T3, reverseT3) and my symptoms for guidance. He changed the brand of desiccated thyroid to NP Thyroid by Accella and over the next 9 months he slowly and methodically increased my dose from 90 mgs up to 180 mgs and I recovered, including the rheumatoid arthritis. I'm 73; I was diagnosed as hypothyroid when I was 28. I'm doing fine now.

Now my TSH is less than .01 and my wonderful endo is making unhappy comments that it's too low. I don't know if he's concerned that he's going to get in trouble for my low TSH or if he thinks there might be some negative side effect he's recently read about in some medical journal. But my cognition and my health are very good so I'm not concerned.

The pituitary spits out TSH; it seems that mine doesn't really work very well (or it's just quiet and happy). I've got mercury poisoning which is known to affect the endocrine system, including the pituitary. I remember a Ray Peat comment regarding the pituitary about how animals live longer without one. I'll see if I can find it.
go here: bioenergetic search (a search for "pituitary") and read through.
Here's one:

kmud-170421-endocrinology-part2​

00:50:46.200

So what you want to do is have such a responsive, high metabolic system that the tissue can respond fully to a little bit of pituitary hormone and turn it off quickly. Animals that have their pituitaries removed, that are given a supplement of cortisol and thyroid, will often live two or three times longer than animals that are normal with a normal pituitary function, showing that the pituitary, to the extent that it's overactive, is shortening your life and shrinking your potential.

Last edited:
OP
cdg

cdg

Could be from this study?

And it's people who were taking T4-only so not relevant at all if your low TSH is from taking T3 and or T3 with T4.

The resulting problems are because these people were treated wrongly and their hypothyroidism was never really dealt with. So maddening that there is so much nonsense out there on this subject.

Am taking EFRA which NDT both T3 and T4. Thanks for this clarification
My TSH was .02 when I was very hypothyroid because I was taking Armour desiccated thyroid and it stopped working because the company changed owners and they changed their formula. My hypothyroid symptoms were pretty severe; I had developed rheumatoid arthritis and my brain fog was pretty bad. My 82 year old endocrinologist told me he had seen the low TSH before and chose to treat me using the rest of the test (T4, T3, reverseT3) and my symptoms for guidance. He changed the brand of desiccated thyroid to NP Thyroid by Accella and over the next 9 months he slowly and methodically increased my dose from 90 mgs up to 180 mgs and I recovered, including the rheumatoid arthritis. I'm 73; I was diagnosed as hypothyroid when I was 28. I'm doing fine now.

Now my TSH is less than .01 and my wonderful endo is making unhappy comments that it's too low. I don't know if he's concerned that he's going to get in trouble for my low TSH or if he thinks there might be some negative side effect he's recently read about in some medical journal. But my cognition and my health are very good so I'm not concerned.

The pituitary spits out TSH; it seems that mine doesn't really work very well (or it's just quiet and happy). I've got mercury poisoning which is known to affect the endocrine system, including the pituitary. I remember a Ray Peat comment regarding the pituitary about how animals live longer without one. I'll see if I can find it.
go here: bioenergetic search (a search for "pituitary") and read through.
Here's one:

kmud-170421-endocrinology-part2​

00:50:46.200

So what you want to do is have such a responsive, high metabolic system that the tissue can respond fully to a little bit of pituitary hormone and turn it off quickly. Animals that have their pituitaries removed, that are given a supplement of cortisol and thyroid, will often live two or three times longer than animals that are normal with a normal pituitary function, showing that the pituitary, to the extent that it's overactive, is shortening your life and shrinking your potential.
Thanks for this detail much appreciated.

AmandaWald

Am taking EFRA which NDT both T3 and T4. Thanks for this clarification

Thanks for this detail much appreciated.
Are you happy with your NDT? I sometimes wonder whether I should try it rather than synthetic T3 and T4, which I am doing well on, but some things haven't gone away, such as some myxedema (sp?).

Happy to have helped with the clarification, too!

OP
cdg

cdg

Are you happy with your NDT? I sometimes wonder whether I should try it rather than synthetic T3 and T4, which I am doing well on, but some things haven't gone away, such as some myxedema (sp?).

Happy to have helped with the clarification, too!

OP
cdg

cdg

How much are you taking?

The trouble with NDT is that it sometimes needs to be adjusted as they keep screwing around with the formulation. That is why Dr. peat gave up on it. I take 120mg and had to add 30mg to keep my blood pressure normal. I reduce to by 15 mg know and then to see how it goes.

AmandaWald

How much are you taking?

The trouble with NDT is that it sometimes needs to be adjusted as they keep screwing around with the formulation. That is why Dr. peat gave up on it. I take 120mg and had to add 30mg to keep my blood pressure normal. I reduce to by 15 mg know and then to see how it goes.
Thanks for the info!

mostlylurking

How much are you taking?

I've been taking NP thyroid by Acella, a natural desiccated thyroid product since 2015 and have been very happy with it. Their product has been consistent and it works. The FDA harasses them if there's any inkling of a problem with the level of potency. My 82 year old endocrinologist has put a lot of his patients on it. He has remarked to me that it's great stuff and that it works "just like the old Armour product used to work".

OP
cdg

cdg

I've been taking NP thyroid by Acella, a natural desiccated thyroid product since 2015 and have been very happy with it. Their product has been consistent and it works. The FDA harasses them if there's any inkling of a problem with the level of potency. My 82 year old endocrinologist has put a lot of his patients on it. He has remarked to me that it's great stuff and that it works "just like the old Armour product used to work".
Assume you need a prescription for Acella?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals