Extremely Low TSH And Cholesterol

Diokine

Things have been going rather well for me until very recently, and with my latest bloodwork I'm definitely somewhat concerned. A little background;

History of Graves disease in the family - nearly killed my Grandfather
I had been managing symptoms of hypothyroidism (low temperature and pulse) with a small amount of T3 (~10mcg/day) and very occasionally T4 (~25mcg/dose). This had been working great for me, my TSH dropped from 2.6 to right around 1.0 and stayed there for some time. It felt like I had been managing thyroid effectively.
After getting sick with what I think was a virus, I experienced repeated bouts of thyroid inflammation and lymph tissue edema, especially in my neck.

I got very sick over this last weekend, terribly sore throat and nausea, fever, chills, all that good stuff. I was diagnosed with strep throat even though the culture came back negative. After my doctor visit I decided to check my bloodwork as it had been some time and I wanted to see what things looked like when I'm sick. I was shocked to see my TSH at <.01 (so undetectable essentially) and my total cholesterol level at 127. Very obviously hyperthyroid, but I hadn't had any exogenous thyroid hormone for about a week at this point, and had greatly reduced any dosing with it prior to that. Interestingly I haven't even felt that "hyperthyroid" compared to when I overdid it with an NDT product, and my TSH level wasn't nearly as low as this. I'm thinking something is seriously out of sorts with my pituitary... Does anybody have any thoughts?

Mittir

It is not a big change in TSH to drop from 1 to undetectable.
Fever and infection, particularly from endotoxin , can
lower TSH, T3 and T4 and increase rT3 and cortisol.
Cortisol suppresses TSH and lowers T3. This can result
in very low TSH without hyper thyroid symptoms.

I am not sure how infection affects total cholesterol level.
How was your cholesterol before infection?
Since cortisol inhibit conversion of T4 to T3 in liver
it is possible that cortisol also decreases liver's ability
to make cholesterol. In some cases T4 and T3
hormone level can be higher than pre-infection level
during recovery.

Last edited: