Loneliness Kills By Activating The Stress Response & Inflammation

haidut

Forum Supporter
Sounds like a fairly obvious conclusion, but up until about 5 years ago mainstream medicine claimed that loneliness had no impact on our health. The key finding here is that loneliness upregulates BOTH norepinephrine and cortisol levels - i.e. triggers the stress response, especially in the brain. Norepinephrine is a biomarker of sympathetic system activity in the brain, while epinephrine is a biomarker of adrenal sympathetic activity. In parallel with this, loneliness also caused an increase in inflammatory biomarkers and this elevation was not dampened by the increased cortisol.
In the conclusion of one of the study authors, loneliness is treated by the body as a serious threat and something that can literally kill you. I would rephrase to simply say that the stress response kills you, regardless of the cause, as it is the stress response that is the mediator of damage by external events, and it is the stress response that leads to all the undesirable changes in immune system activity and inflammation.
Finally, I recently posted about people with "addiction" having high levels of stress hormones. You can now easily make the physiological connection between loneliness and "addiction", even though it has evaded the expert medical authorities after more than a century of "genetic" idiocy.

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2015/ ... 2.abstract
"...Consistent with neuronal SNS regulation of myelopoiesis (7, 8), longitudinal variations in state PSI were associated with concurrent elevations in urinary norepinephrine metabolites (indicative of neuronal SNS activity) (Fig. 1D) but not with epinephrine (indicative of adrenal SNS activity) (Fig. 1D). Cortisol levels were also up-regulated in chronic high PSI (Fig. 1D), as previously observed (4).

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shot ... ne-systems
"...For decades, researchers have been seeing signs that the immune systems of lonely people are working differently. Lonely people's white blood cells seem to be more active in a way that increases inflammation, a natural immune response to wounding and bacterial infection. On top of that, they seem to have lower levels of antiviral compounds known as interferons. That seemed to provide a link to a lot of the poor health outcomes associated with loneliness, since chronic inflammation has been linked to everything from cancer to depression. The human body isn't built to hold a high level of inflammation for years. "That explains very clearly why lonely people fall at increased risk for cancer, neurodegenerative disease and viral infections as well," says Steve Cole, a genomics researcher at the University of California, Los Angeles, and lead author on the study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences on Monday."

"...Cole noticed that when people felt lonesome, they had significantly higher levels of norepinephrine coursing through their blood. That could explain all the other immune changes that happen when people suffer from social isolation. In a life-threatening situation, norepinephrine cascades through the body and starts shutting down immune functions like viral defense, while ramping up the production of white blood cells called monocytes. "It's this surge in these pro-inflammatory white blood cells that are highly adapted to defend against wounds, but at the expense of our defenses against viral diseases that come from close social contact with other people," Cole says. At the same time, lonely people seem to be shutting down genes that would make their bodies sensitive to cortisol, which lowers inflammation. That ramps up the defensive inflammation response, Cole says."

"...Loneliness would hit the switch on a defense plan our bodies initiate in the face of mortal danger, Cole thinks, if isolation is somehow truly lethal. "At this point, my best guess was that loneliness really is one of the most threatening experiences we can have," he says. "Though I didn't think of loneliness as being that awful. It's not pleasant, but not something my body should be getting all up in arms about."

"...But this fight-or-flight immune response is really nonspecific, says Turhan Canli, a neuroscientist at Stony Brook University in New York who was not involved with the study. Loneliness might not necessarily have to do with ancient survival, he says. Our bodies basically have one panic button, and any kind of adverse condition can trigger this response. "I think loneliness is a kind of psychological stress," he says. "The change in the immune response is part of biological changes that come with a stress condition."

"...What Canli finds really interesting about Cole's results is that people who felt lonely one year had increased gene activity around inflammation and norepinephrine later on. And people who had increased inflammation felt lonelier the next year. "It's a two-way street," he said. "Loneliness predicted biological changes, and biological changes predicted changes in loneliness."

T

tobieagle

Thank you haidut.

A further question about addiction would be:
Is this compensation with a mind altering substance protective, compared to just enduring the feeling.

milk_lover

This hits home for me. When I am very stressed at work, I don't like to socialize with other people. I become like an autistic kid :lol: sitting all day in my corner trying to finish my work. I feel they are annoying and they stress me out even more. Even if I force myself to talk to them, I don't enjoy it because my mind is thinking about finishing the task in hand. This leads to a confirmation signal from body for further isolation. But isolation, according to this post, leads to stress. So forcing myself to socialize at work leads to stress AND isolation leads to stress too! lose-lose situation. I wonder how I can pick myself up from such messy situations at work. Any food, supplements, etc., suggestions? I can't simply quit my job, not an option currently :D

XPlus

A wise man once said "Gimme some niacinamide, a bucket of ice cream and leave me the hell alone"

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
tobieagle said:
post 111923 Thank you haidut.

A further question about addiction would be:
Is this compensation with a mind altering substance protective, compared to just enduring the feeling.

Probably protective in the short run but depending on the substance it could ruin health in long run. Alcohol and opioids are a drug of choice for stressed people b/c they block the immediate stress response. However, in the long run both destroy health buy ruining metabolism, raising estrogen, histamine, serotonin, etc.
I'd say a safer substance for stressed people would be cyproheptadine or another one of the anti-serotonin drugs. The tryptophan depletion protocols with BCAA may also help. The natural anti-serotonin combo I have excellent effects with is BCAA + tyrosine + lysine + theanine. Search the forum for info on doses.

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

milk_lover said:
post 111926 Any food, supplements, etc., suggestions? I can't simply quit my job, not an option currently :D
Get more social life/human closeness elsewhere than work?

milk_lover

tara said:
post 111969
milk_lover said:
post 111926 Any food, supplements, etc., suggestions? I can't simply quit my job, not an option currently :D
Get more social life/human closeness elsewhere than work?
Well I am talking about stress at work. I want to enjoy lunch with my friends at work without thinking about my tasks. This temporary relief from work might be a good chance to socialize and reduce my work stress.

tara

milk_lover said:
post 111976 I want to enjoy lunch with my friends at work without thinking about my tasks. This temporary relief from work might be a good chance to socialize and reduce my work stress.
That sounds like a good idea - relax and forget about work at lunch/breaks.

halken

milk_lover said:
This hits home for me. When I am very stressed at work, I don't like to socialize with other people. I become like an autistic kid :lol: sitting all day in my corner trying to finish my work. I feel they are annoying and they stress me out even more. Even if I force myself to talk to them, I don't enjoy it because my mind is thinking about finishing the task in hand. This leads to a confirmation signal from body for further isolation. But isolation, according to this post, leads to stress. So forcing myself to socialize at work leads to stress AND isolation leads to stress too! lose-lose situation. I wonder how I can pick myself up from such messy situations at work. Any food, supplements, etc., suggestions? I can't simply quit my job, not an option currently :D

Loneliness is multifaceted. You preserve it with isolation but you instigate it with shutting down psychologically.

BastiFuntasty

I can definetely confirm that loneliness is a killer, probably more stressfull to the body as any pufa and estrogen loaded diet.
Personally in my case all the illnesses really started when I quitted Education and stopped unpleasant work, becoming socially more isolated and yet quite alone most of the time. Even peating didn't change my symptoms, nor did pufa depletion.
It seems to me that all those happy persons out there who do not care about nutrition or lifestyle and just don't worry about anything are always within a good meatabolism, despite any bad diets.

halken

Adventure time!

But nah man, people die early if they have a ***t diet too.

Homeostasis, homeostasis, homeostasis.

Remember?

Daimyo

milk_lover said:
post 111926 I wonder how I can pick myself up from such messy situations at work. Any food, supplements, etc., suggestions? I can't simply quit my job, not an option currently :D

Tinder?

Parsifal

That is a really interesting study and I feel concerned a lot about it as I could be considered as having a schizoid personality disorder or an Asperger syndrome (as well as asexuality/aromanticism) and because I have lived as a shut off during 7 years and have been a big loner for most of my life (except when I was smoking pot which helped with my anhedonia/apathy and anxiety issues tremendously).

I don't like being around people and never liked it. Most of the time I don't understand their reactions and their emotions, they seem superficial and fake (not spontaneous, they can smile and stab you in the back at the same time) and I don't really feel empathy for them, most of the time I just want to go back and isolate myself to read, watch movies, listen to music, go for a walk in nature and think about things that matter to me or chat with people I care about on the web, etc.
Well I'm not cold or a sociopath, I really like some people (even if they are rare, well on this forum I do like and admire a lot of people but this is an exception) but this is more an idea than a feeling, I don't really feel things since stopping smoking pot (had not before as well since puberty, pot was strongly healing but now I feel very bad, it shuts my metabolism a lot and I feel like dying when smoking it). I always had some kind of social anxiety (now cured with Peat) so being around people or going in the street has always been really more stressful than being alone (very sensitive to sound as well).

When I'm alone I feel good, it can become numbing it it last very long though. Some people feel really bad if they spend 1/10th of their time as alone as I spend it and I don't understand it, I seem to need more time alone to feel good. I like to meditate as well, observe my body and my breathing, going into full introspection and that is not possible while you need to interact in society.
I'm a lot in my head, thinking about things and when I have imposed things to do like social life, going to school, I feel stressed and frustrated because I need to do other things that what I would like to do and I don't think that it is good, I am participating to the destruction of earth ecology in this productivist and utilitarianist crazy society, I'm obliged to do something that I don't like and that is bad for my health (being in a building all day long on the computer with lot of WIFI) and it gives me a kind of learned helplessness.

Otherwise, I don't think that this proves anything. You have to be careful of the difference between correlation and causation. Seeing that loners have more stress hormones and inflammation markers doesn't mean that isolation is the cause of that. Maybe they isolate themselves because they are weaker to begin with and need to retreat themselves to avoid more stress and adaptation. Also I don't think that spending most of your time alone in a very rich environment full of possibilities and being alone shut off in your room without money would be the same experience. Being alone in a cave or having a computer and being able to chat with other people seems a bit different as well. IIRC I've read that using social media (like this forum) increases oxytocin.
Everything is context.

I think that there are a lot of animals that are loners and don't live in groups. Don't know how it impacts them. Ethology seems to be an interesting science.

Love and social life seem to be mediated by serotonin and oxytocin that are stress hormones according to Ray. IIRC Ray wrote in one of his books that when you're around people your pulse increase (seems like stress), I think he called this the person effect.
But I may be wrong.

milk_lover

Daimyo said:
post 112087
milk_lover said:
post 111926 I wonder how I can pick myself up from such messy situations at work. Any food, supplements, etc., suggestions? I can't simply quit my job, not an option currently :D

Tinder?
Remember guys I am talking about isolation at WORK when I am busy. Good advice nevertheless.

BastiFuntasty

Do you have any strategies, when loneliness is not avoidable? I used to play videogames in such situations, which doesn't work anymore..

AmishMechanic

Remember guys I am talking about isolation at WORK when I am busy. Good advice nevertheless.
I think maybe you are just a normal introvert who is trying to get their job done. I am a Myers-Briggs INTP with the "I" pegged to the far end of the scale; Raised by extroverts.... It was a tortured childhood for me... o_O I LOVE my people, but I am mostly recharged and refreshed by alone time. Extroverts are mostly recharged and refreshed by socializing. Neither group, it sounds like, will thrive if isolated most of the time.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals