Clonidine Lowers Cortisol, ACTH And Overall Stress Response

heiler

Could Lofexidine be better for insomnia or "night anxiety" ? I'm also trying to get rid of Clonazepam (1mg to go..)

Kat11

Forgive me if I'm doing this wrong as I have only just joined.
I was on an ssri for a long time. I did a fast taper 3 years ago and I'm still suffering badly with insomnia and hyperalerting symptoms. My average sleep time has gone from 9 hrs to 4-6, and that is broken, light and dreamy. I still regularly have early am cortisol rushes that centre in my chest and make me feel as if pure caffeine has been injected into my brain. It's very difficult to explain.
I have lots of other symptoms but I feel if I could lower the cortisol they may ease.
I have a packet of clonidine that is still in date. I think it is 0.25 micro grams. I would like to try it but unsure at what time to take it etc.

Loachi1105

I am currently tapering Mirtazapine.
I am stuck in a stress situation, I would describe it as sympathic dominance.
But I feel like Mirta although it helped with sleep in the beginning has made things worse.
As Mirta is Noradrenerg I saw a problem there , and that's why I am tapering it.
Now clonidine seems a good "Reverse" or at least "Brake".... Question is should I be completely be tapered and Mirta free before touching it. ?? ( Even if it is not a SSRI, od AD in general. ) ( But even so hit the gas and brake same time seems not the best thing to do. )
Any Thoughts?

Arctic Fire

Does anyone have ideas for reversing clonidine's "dry mouth" effect and stimulating saliva production? Any leads will be helpful. TIA.

Sativa

A legally available substance called Agmatine should be considered here!

However, for people who are withdrawing from drugs or alcohol abuse clonidine is the only way they can function without relapsing. Check PubMed - clonidine is now being considered as a first line therapy to withdraw people from substance abuse

Agmatine reduces over-excitation states, sharing traits with memantine/ketamine, as well as promoting neurogenesis.

Agmatine, an endogenous clonidine-displacing substance, has been shown to have an affinity for both alpha 2-adrenoceptors and imidazoline receptors
This clonidine-displacing substance was purified and determined by mass spectroscopy to be agmatine (decarboxylated arginine)

This suggests that agmatine may modulate noradrenaline release in the same way that clonidine does, i.e. via imidazoline binding

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
A legally available substance called Agmatine should be considered here!

Agmatine reduces over-excitation states, sharing traits with memantine/ketamine, as well as promoting neurogenesis.

Agmatine lowers NO and peat spoke favorably about it in a few interviews and email. If you search the forum you should be able to find his comments on it.

Sativa

Agmatine lowers NO and peat spoke favorably about it in a few interviews and email.

Thanks for that - indeed, I identified the shared properties of Agmatine with substances which have been mentioned as being peat-beneficial here, eg your posts on Adamantane. (I have also experienced memantine, as well as other nmda antagonists of varying 'types' ... eg Iboga. Have you ever tried Iboga?)

My multi-disciplinary approach includes a neuropharmacology lense.

By the way, this seems a good question for you -

Does the estrogenic effects of cannabis occur via THC's interaction with the cannabinoid receptors? (I am assuming there is indeed cannabis estrogenic effects)
I ask, as Agmatine's imidazoline receptor pharmacology potentiates cannabinoid signalling.

I also enjoy Agmatine for its notable neurogenesis properties via BDNF, and weak antagonism of the nicotinic receptors. (Memantine is a fantastic nootropic-style substance due to its alpha 7 nicotinic receptor antagonism resulting in alpha 7 receptor up-regulation)
I see Ag also favourably interacts with eNOS.

Mauritio

Does nobody worry about clonidine increasing GH?

Amazigh

My mom had a bike accident a couple years ago where she slightly fractured her pelvis. She healed well, but ever since then she has been complaining of feeling much more stressed, poor sleep and has been gaining weight around the waist. She was going through menopause before the accident.

This is really interesting. I had a very bad ankle sprain back in 2013, and soon after, I gained a bunch of weight that I still haven't been able to get rid of. I wonder if chronically elevated cortisol is common after injuries? I've had cortisol-related issues ever since.

managing

This is really interesting. I had a very bad ankle sprain back in 2013, and soon after, I gained a bunch of weight that I still haven't been able to get rid of. I wonder if chronically elevated cortisol is common after injuries? I've had cortisol-related issues ever since.
In short, yes.

Velve921

Upto date, what are the best clonidine sources that people have found at this time?

golder

Velve, any good results with your clonidine? Did you go for the 100mcg tabs from Farmacia Del Nino?

golder

Can anyone offer a good comparison between clonidine and propranolol? Thanks!

Last edited:

ReSTART

Velve, any good results with your clonidine? Did you go for the 100mcg tabs from Farmacia Del Nino?
100mcg is way too strong unless you have really high blood pressure (and are prescribed and under the care of a doctor).

Peatress

I have chronic hypertension, and NOTHING 'Peaty' - in five plus years - has touched it at all.

I'm going to ask my doctor about Clonipine this time.

There seem to be too few meds for hypertension that are even remotely positive, and this seems a likely candidate. And - bonus - it's possible that my normal non-response to any substances (I could pop 100+ mcg T3 daily and not ever feel a thing) might be related to the stress/adrenaline issues that Clonipine addresses.

That would be significant if so.

Added: however, if Clonidine causes ED, then I'm out. That's an issue for me. I was on Amlodipine for a while and thought that was the cause, but I've been off that for a month or more, and no change there.
Did you manage to resolve your blood pressure issues?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals