Lactoferrin increases Testosterone/Progesterone and Decreases Estradiol

Jamsey

“System administration of human recombinant lactoferrin per os to rats for 2,5 months increased serum and testicular levels of total testosterone. The data correlated with the increase in free testosterone levels. These changes were accompanied by an increase of concentrations of steroidogenesis substrates (cholesterol, progesterone, and 17-OH progesterone) and a decrease of the estradiol content in blood serum. This resulted in the 3.6-3.8-fold increase of the testosterone/estradiol index. Basic parameters of lipid and protein were also studied. Results of this study suggest that lactoferrin administration causes activation of androgen synthesis and lipid metabolism.”
If anyone wants to translate the original study(it’s Russian I think), we can find out the HED.

Mauritio

“System administration of human recombinant lactoferrin per os to rats for 2,5 months increased serum and testicular levels of total testosterone. The data correlated with the increase in free testosterone levels. These changes were accompanied by an increase of concentrations of steroidogenesis substrates (cholesterol, progesterone, and 17-OH progesterone) and a decrease of the estradiol content in blood serum. This resulted in the 3.6-3.8-fold increase of the testosterone/estradiol index. Basic parameters of lipid and protein were also studied. Results of this study suggest that lactoferrin administration causes activation of androgen synthesis and lipid metabolism.”
If anyone wants to translate the original study(it’s Russian I think), we can find out the HED.
Great find.

A dosage of 20mg/kg leads to a 70% increase in Testosterone in the testicles. The HED of this is about 250mg of lactoferrin. They also tested 100 and 200mg/ kg and they were not effective. So it seems to be dose specific, at least in the testes.

According to this, 100mg/kg ,so an HED of 1.25g of lactoferrin was very effective at increasing testosterone, by about 200% ! So in the case of blood testosterone the higher doses were more effective, but even the lowest dose lead to a 138% increase in T. Quite impressive.

It also increased Progesterone and 17OH-Progesterone by 20 and 52%. 17OH-progesterone is just 2 steps away from Testosterone. And since lactoferrin increases T and lowers E ,I guess it increases steroidogenic enzymes, which is another cool feature.

"In the course of the studies, it was established thatthat serum total testosterone levels rat blood increased significantly by 137.5%, 200% and 125% with oral administration of rhLF in doses 20, 100 and 200 mg/kg, respectively (Figure A). Similar changes occurred with the content free testosterone – by 70.9%, 128.8% and 139.1% respectively, which may indicate to an increasing proportion precisely biologically active androgen (Figure B), and the ratio testosterone/estradiol increased significantly by 3.2, 3.6 and 3.8 times (Figure B). When exposed to rhLF at a dose of 200 mg/kg, it was noted increased levels of testosterone precursors (progesterone and 17-OH progesterone) by 20% and 52.1% respectively. "

"Recorded level increase testosterone precursors in steroidogenesis and its main substrate - cholesterol under the action rhLF indicates the development of metabolic shifts in steroidogenesis. This fact can be explained possible ability of LF to accelerate the process renewal of the bilipid layer of cell membranes, which contain cholesterol, which indirectly supported by demonstrated activationlipid metabolism."

A more than 3 fold increase in the T/E ratio is really quite impressive. So impressive that the authors suggest it for treating hypogonadism.

"Systemic 2.5 monthly consumption experimental animals per os recombinant human lactoferrin leads to increased total testosterone levels
in blood serum and homogenate supernatant testes, which correlates with an increased free testosterone. At the same time, it is observed
increase in the concentration of steroidogenesis substrates (cholesterol, progesterone and 17-OH progesterone)
against the background of a parallel decrease in the content estradiol in the blood serum, which leads to
to a more than threefold increase in testosterone/estradiol index. Received results indicate activation lactoferrin lipid metabolism, androgen synthesis
and provide a theoretical basis for the use of transferrin being studied as corrective agent for prevention hypogonadism of various etiologies, with the aim of normalization of endogenous testosterone levelsand minimizing signs of androgen deficiency."

Last edited:

TruthSeeker

They have used LTF, not bovine lactoferrin. Wondering how they compare and where one would find LTF. By the way, apolactoferrin Is awesome, especially for bile.

Healthseeker

Can someone please clarify this? This was "human recombinant lacto-ferrin"?
At 20/mg per kg. That means a dose of 1,500mg for 75kg human....?
Was this oral or injected. And for how long? Why does it work in this way?

I am currently taking lactoferrin is why I want to know. It doesnt say what kind on the bottle. It is Best Naturals brand. Just says lactoferrin. I seen there was different types. Some are pink, mine is very very light pink, off white really.
Im not finding consistent information on this supplement. Does it chelate iron, or does it help you absorb iron?

Mauritio

Good point, but I dont see why bovine lacto shouldnt be effective as well.
I started taking apolactoferrin yesterday and it definitely caused a bile dump, which is good. But I also look pale today and have dark circles under my eyes.

Mauritio

Can someone please clarify this? This was "human recombinant lacto-ferrin"?
At 20/mg per kg. That means a dose of 1,500mg for 75kg human....?
Was this oral or injected. And for how long? Why does it work in this way?

I am currently taking lactoferrin is why I want to know. It doesnt say what kind on the bottle. It is Best Naturals brand. Just says lactoferrin. I seen there was different types. Some are pink, mine is very very light pink, off white really.
Im not finding consistent information on this supplement. Does it chelate iron, or does it help you absorb iron?
This is literally all in the paragraph I posted above.

yes 1500mg but lower was effective as well. they gave it orally for 2.5 months.

TruthSeeker

Good point, but I dont see why bovine lacto shouldnt be effective as well.
I started taking apolactoferrin yesterday and it definitely caused a bile dump, which is good. But I also look pale today and have dark circles under my eyes.
Indeed It Is powerful but one of the few supplements that Is effettive for that. It seems that bovine could be homologous tò rhLF at least to a certain extent but I am not that knowledgeable. It would be useful tò find a good quality apolactiferrin at a
reasonable price (in Europe, possibiy) tò experiment with in higher doses.

Healthseeker

This is literally all in the paragraph I posted above.

yes 1500mg but lower was effective as well. they gave it orally for 2.5 months.

Ok, thank you. But, I'm skeptical that its the whole story. I remember reading studies where they made the rat balls bigger by adding L. reuteri. probiotics to there diet. Probiotic Microbes Sustain Youthful Serum Testosterone Levels and Testicular Size in Aging Mice (just an example, I didn't read this, I remember a study from a while back) And it was just theorizied it was basically due to changes in the gut biome that cause it.

OP
J

Jamsey

Great find.

A dosage of 20mg/kg leads to a 70% increase in Testosterone in the testicles. The HED of this is about 250mg of lactoferrin. They also tested 100 and 200mg/ kg and they were not effective. So it seems to be dose specific, at least in the testes.

According to this, 100mg/kg ,so an HED of 1.25g of lactoferrin was very effective at increasing testosterone, by about 200% ! So in the case of blood testosterone the higher doses were more effective, but even the lowest dose lead to a 138% increase in T. Quite impressive.

It also increased Progesterone and 17OH-Progesterone by 20 and 52%. 17OH-progesterone is just 2 steps away from Testosterone. And since lactoferrin increases T and lowers E ,I guess it increases steroidogenic enzymes, which is another cool feature.

"In the course of the studies, it was established thatthat serum total testosterone levels rat blood increased significantly by 137.5%, 200% and 125% with oral administration of rhLF in doses 20, 100 and 200 mg/kg, respectively (Figure A). Similar changes occurred with the content free testosterone – by 70.9%, 128.8% and 139.1% respectively, which may indicate to an increasing proportion precisely biologically active androgen (Figure B), and the ratio testosterone/estradiol increased significantly by 3.2, 3.6 and 3.8 times (Figure B). When exposed to rhLF at a dose of 200 mg/kg, it was noted increased levels of testosterone precursors (progesterone and 17-OH progesterone) by 20% and 52.1% respectively. "

"Recorded level increase testosterone precursors in steroidogenesis and its main substrate - cholesterol under the action rhLF indicates the development of metabolic shifts in steroidogenesis. This fact can be explained possible ability of LF to accelerate the process renewal of the bilipid layer of cell membranes, which contain cholesterol, which indirectly supported by demonstrated activationlipid metabolism."

A more than 3 fold increase in the T/E ratio is really quite impressive. So impressive that the authors suggest it for treating hypogonadism.

"Systemic 2.5 monthly consumption experimental animals per os recombinant human lactoferrin leads to increased total testosterone levels
in blood serum and homogenate supernatant testes, which correlates with an increased free testosterone. At the same time, it is observed
increase in the concentration of steroidogenesis substrates (cholesterol, progesterone and 17-OH progesterone)
against the background of a parallel decrease in the content estradiol in the blood serum, which leads to
to a more than threefold increase in testosterone/estradiol index. Received results indicate activation lactoferrin lipid metabolism, androgen synthesis
and provide a theoretical basis for the use of transferrin being studied as corrective agent for prevention hypogonadism of various etiologies, with the aim of normalization of endogenous testosterone levelsand minimizing signs of androgen deficiency."
Thank you that’s very helpful. You might be my favorite active member, one of the few people here that actually reads the studies.

Ismail

Anyone used or know of this product?:

Life Extension, Lactoferrin, with 95% Apolactoferrin, 60 Capsules, Laboratory Tested, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Soya Free, Non-GMO https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B3MX81DZ/

One capsule contains:

• Bioferrin 300mg
  • of which apolactoferrin 285mg

Ingredients:
Bioferrin (from bovine whey; standardised to 95% apolactoferrin), bulking agent: microcrystalline cellulose; coating agent: hydroxypropylmethylcellulose (capsule); separating agents: silicon dioxide, stearic acid

Mauritio

Thank you that’s very helpful. You might be my favorite active member, one of the few people here that actually reads the studies.
Thanks man, that put a smile on my face.

Life Extension, Lactoferrin, with 95% Apolactoferrin, 60 Capsules, Laboratory Tested, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Soya Free, Non-GMO Amazon product ASIN B0B3MX81DZView: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B3MX81DZ/

One capsule contains:

• Bioferrin 300mg

Ingredients:
Bioferrin (from bovine whey; standardised to 95% apolactoferrin), bulking agent: microcrystalline cellulose; coating agent: hydroxypropylmethylcellulose (capsule); separating agents: silicon dioxide, stearic acid
Thats actually the one I have. I used it for 2 days and it didnt feel good. I felt lethargic ,brain fog and had dark circles. Low dopamine overall. I havent taken it in 2 days and Im starting to feel better again. Im not sure if it was a detox reaction, i hadnt had any diarrhea. It felt more like an unfavorable change in microbiome , but that is just a guess. Not sure if its related to the product, but I won't touch it for a while.

Healthseeker

Here's the kind I got, its helping me. I take two caps, twice a day. I'll probably finish out the bottle. Hopefully, the improvement sticks.

DrJ

Life Extension, Lactoferrin, with 95% Apolactoferrin, 60 Capsules, Laboratory Tested, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Soya Free, Non-GMO Amazon product ASIN B0B3MX81DZView: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B3MX81DZ/

One capsule contains:

• Bioferrin 300mg

Ingredients:
The Life Extension one you have to watch out. In the US it used to explicitly state apolactoferrin but they removed that. When I took the new version I felt awful, whereas the apolactoferrin version made me feel great. Now I take Jarrow's apolactoferrin. I didn't see this thread til now but explains why lactoferrin ups my libido lol.

Ismail

The Life Extension one you have to watch out. In the US it used to explicitly state apolactoferrin but they removed that. When I took the new version I felt awful, whereas the apolactoferrin version made me feel great. Now I take Jarrow's apolactoferrin. I didn't see this thread til now but explains why lactoferrin ups my libido lol.
Thanks bud, appreciate the info.

Gonna have a look at the Jarrow version.

Have you noticed any other benefits?

DrJ

Thanks bud, appreciate the info.

Gonna have a look at the Jarrow version.

Have you noticed any other benefits?
Better overall mood and better BMs. Lots of benefits seem possible...

Ismail

Better overall mood and better BMs. Lots of benefits seem possible...

Thank you 🙏

Healthseeker

Here's the kind I got, its helping me. I take two caps, twice a day. I'll probably finish out the bottle. Hopefully, the improvement sticks.
Update on this. After I finished the bottle. Taking 2 caps twice a day with meals. The improvement was not permanent, and my gut health went back to the usual. I tried a different brand. Vitamatic lactoferrin. (apolactoferrin), and didn't feel right when taking it. I went back and got the first brand again and took it, and the improvement lasted a few weeks longer when I discontinued the supplement. But still it wasn't a cure. I bought it a third time, and I report that every batch has been slightly different. This one smells strongly like baby formula, I dont know what that means. Its white, its the same color as all the others. Maybe in a certain light, it has a very very slight pink hue to it. But, one would say it is white. This brand is not labeled specifically as apolactoferrin, it may be or it may not be. Lactoferrin info is kind of scarce, and I want good information to be out there.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals