Is Vitamin D Supplementation Even Neccessary

Mossy

A good topic.

I can report that I've been chronically low (< 30ng/mL) on my Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy, blood test for the last 7+ years, and on my most recent test, I was into the normal range for the first time in those 7+ years.

So, good or bad, supplementing with Vitamin D3 and K2 (mk4) did bring me to normal for the first time in a long time. I also try to get 5 minutes of sun a day, 75% of body exposed. But, for the record, when I was doing this, without supplementing, it did not bring me to normal.

BTW, I use the smartphone app, dminder, to register how much sun exposure Vitamin D, and supplemental D I get daily. The app also estimates what your current total D should be, based on all your D intake, and I can tell you it was surprisingly very accurate: my blood test showed 42 ng/mL, and dminder estimated I would be at 41 ng/mL. This may be a coincidence, but it's enough to motivate me to try it for the next 6 months or so.

Lastly, and just as important, with my D levels in the normal range, I don't feel any better! I believe I am dealing with some type of calcium imbalance, which I need to solve with more, or the proper balance of, magnesium, potassium, and/or vitamin A, along with D and K2.

Mossy

about 2 glass fulls a day usually at night with dark chocolate. Its the best. I tried store bought and it had no taste
I have access to good raw from local grass fed dairy, but the fat content concerns me a bit...will probably go back on it
Now that I think about it, I left out a huge factor in my previous comment: for the first time since I was a child, I was drinking raw milk for months prior to getting my latest vitamin D test. So, this may have been a contributor to the higher Vitamin D on the blood test, along with sun and supplements.

Travis

Just looked at the various suppliers of Vit. D. Many are packaged in PUFA oil. Some in olive oil. Cheap olive oil can have a considerable PUFA content. Buyer beware.

The one I have is in olive oil—the NOW Foods™ brand—and comes in 5000·IU oil-filled capsules. I just put a little on my skin every few days since I think oral ingestion can be a bad idea: This puts the hormone directly on the organ most responsive in concentrations impossible to achieve naturally (unless, you think eating fish livers is natural).

I saw a study yesterday, on rats, showing that the vitamin D receptor has circadian expression only in brown adipose cells—which regulate body heat. If vitamin D has other effects besides those on calcium metabolism, I'd think that perhaps regulating thermogenesis could be the main one. Vitamin D could help protect against sun stroke.. .

Mossy

A good topic.

I can report that I've been chronically low (< 30ng/mL) on my Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy, blood test for the last 7+ years, and on my most recent test, I was into the normal range for the first time in those 7+ years.

So, good or bad, supplementing with Vitamin D3 and K2 (mk4) did bring me to normal for the first time in a long time. I also try to get 5 minutes of sun a day, 75% of body exposed. But, for the record, when I was doing this, without supplementing, it did not bring me to normal.

BTW, I use the smartphone app, dminder, to register how much sun exposure Vitamin D, and supplemental D I get daily. The app also estimates what your current total D should be, based on all your D intake, and I can tell you it was surprisingly very accurate: my blood test showed 42 ng/mL, and dminder estimated I would be at 41 ng/mL. This may be a coincidence, but it's enough to motivate me to try it for the next 6 months or so.

Lastly, and just as important, with my D levels in the normal range, I don't feel any better! I believe I am dealing with some type of calcium imbalance, which I need to solve with more, or the proper balance of, magnesium, potassium, and/or vitamin A, along with D and K2.
I need to clarify my "don't feel any better" comment, with noting that this summation of my state is from the point of the last few months to about 4 weeks ago, and specifically with regard to the state of my digestive and immune system. Granted, I was taking more than just vitamin D and K2, but these two were by far my most consistently used supplements and the least experimental part of my routine. Since then, I've been experimenting with some other things, but don't want to hijack the thread with that, but stick to the vitamin D aspect.

OP
Obi-wan

Obi-wan

The one I have is in olive oil—the NOW Foods™ brand—and comes in 5000·IU oil-filled capsules. I just put a little on my skin every few days since I think oral ingestion can be a bad idea: This puts the hormone directly on the organ most responsive in concentrations impossible to achieve naturally (unless, you think eating fish livers is natural).

I saw a study yesterday, on rats, showing that the vitamin D receptor has circadian expression only in brown adipose cells—which regulate body heat. If vitamin D has other effects besides those on calcium metabolism, I'd think that perhaps regulating thermogenesis could be the main one. Vitamin D could help protect against sun stroke.. .

The NOW Vit D is made from Lanolin (sheep wool grease) and encapsulated in extra virgin olive oil.

Frankdee20

So are we saying that supplemental D3 helps no one ? My level was 19, and since supplementing, my depression lifted considerably

OP
Obi-wan

Obi-wan

So are we saying that supplemental D3 helps no one ? My level was 19, and since supplementing, my depression lifted considerably
What oil was your Vit. D encapsulated in?

Frankdee20

Can one take D3, K2, and A together ? I know E is taken separately from k

OP
Obi-wan

Obi-wan

Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a mood disorder subset in which people who have normal mental health throughout most of the year exhibit depressive symptoms at the same time each year, most commonly in the winter

In many species, activity is diminished during the winter months in response to the reduction in available food, the reduction of sunlight (especially for diurnal animals) and the difficulties of surviving in cold weather

Winter depression is a common slump in the mood of some inhabitants of most of the Nordic countries. It was first described by the 6th century Goth scholar Jordanes in his Getica wherein he described the inhabitants of Scandza (Scandinavia).[54] Iceland, however, seems to be an exception. A study of more than 2000 people there found the prevalence of seasonal affective disorder and seasonal changes in anxiety and depression to be unexpectedly low in both sexes.[55] The study's authors suggested that propensity for SAD may differ due to some genetic factor within the Icelandic population. A study of Canadians of wholly Icelandic descent also showed low levels of SAD.[56] It has more recently been suggested that this may be attributed to the large amount of fish traditionally eaten by Icelandic people, in 2007 about 90 kilograms per person per year as opposed to about 24 kg in the US and Canada,[57] rather than to genetic predisposition; a similar anomaly is noted in Japan, where annual fish consumption in recent years averages about 60 kg per capita.[58] Fish are high in vitamin D. Fish also contain docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), which help with a variety of neurological dysfunctions.[59] -Wikipedia

I think raw milk is a better solution

benaoao

I also try to get 5 minutes of sun a day, 75% of body exposed. But, for the record, when I was doing this, without supplementing, it did not bring me to normal.

Lastly, and just as important, with my D levels in the normal range, I don't feel any better!

Nice app indeed.

You don’t feel any better because you need to expose it all! I’m half kidding, check the references in this article

The Promising Evidence of Red and Near Infrared Light Therapy for Increasing Testosterone in Men

dbh25

I think my level was 9 when I started supplementing, I definitely feel better now. But I am still looking for the sweet spot.

Arrade

B

Braveheart

Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a mood disorder subset in which people who have normal mental health throughout most of the year exhibit depressive symptoms at the same time each year, most commonly in the winter

In many species, activity is diminished during the winter months in response to the reduction in available food, the reduction of sunlight (especially for diurnal animals) and the difficulties of surviving in cold weather

Winter depression is a common slump in the mood of some inhabitants of most of the Nordic countries. It was first described by the 6th century Goth scholar Jordanes in his Getica wherein he described the inhabitants of Scandza (Scandinavia).[54] Iceland, however, seems to be an exception. A study of more than 2000 people there found the prevalence of seasonal affective disorder and seasonal changes in anxiety and depression to be unexpectedly low in both sexes.[55] The study's authors suggested that propensity for SAD may differ due to some genetic factor within the Icelandic population. A study of Canadians of wholly Icelandic descent also showed low levels of SAD.[56] It has more recently been suggested that this may be attributed to the large amount of fish traditionally eaten by Icelandic people, in 2007 about 90 kilograms per person per year as opposed to about 24 kg in the US and Canada,[57] rather than to genetic predisposition; a similar anomaly is noted in Japan, where annual fish consumption in recent years averages about 60 kg per capita.[58] Fish are high in vitamin D. Fish also contain docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), which help with a variety of neurological dysfunctions.[59] -Wikipedia

I think raw milk is a better solution
Have you a good nutritional analysis for raw milk?

InChristAlone

A good topic.

5 minutes?! I try for at least 30.

yerrag

Yeah I grew up in one of the cloudiest cities. And I became myopic pretty early on. I also stopped growing at 9 yrs old.
When I went to the US and lived in Rochester, NY, my keloid condition worsened dramatically. I think the lack of sunshine catalyzed the growth of my keloids in my torso. Keloids are rare in whites, but most prevalent among blacks. This skin color's effect could have something to do with the stronger effect of sunshine on white skinned people than with darker-skinned people. One possibility is darker-skinned people are more deficient in vitamin D than whites, for the same exposure to sunlight in a geographic area.

I would not have developed all those keloids had I stayed in the Philippines. Not saying keloids is solely caused by lack of vitamin D, but that vitamin D deficiency is a contributing factor.

Travis

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals