Vitamin D Supplementation Vs Natural Production

Dr. B

“In these nursing home veterans, vitamin D supplement users were the most frail but with high 25 (OH) D. This can potentially be a cause of U-shaped associations between vitamin D levels and negative health outcomes.”

“One of the recent controversies in vitamin D research is a “U-shaped association”, [79] in which both high and low levels of vitamin D are associated with elevated disease risks [7]. Regarding all-cause mortality, most observational population-based studies have shown that low vitamin D predicted premature death, which is supported by recent meta-analyses [1013]. However, there were a considerable number of studies that showed U-shaped or reverse J-shaped associations between vitamin D and mortality [1420].”

So do you think the supplement form is risky? Is 1000IU a day safe just to avoid deficiency of vitamin D? Or is it better to do 1000IU, every other day?

So do you think the supplement form is risky? Is 1000IU a day safe just to avoid deficiency of vitamin D? Or is it better to do 1000IU, every other day?
I don’t supplement any vitamins or minerals. If I were to I definitely would only go the topical route. Maybe do some research on the internet of what several sites recommend and pick somewhere in the middle.

@Dr. B

“Many people living in the northern hemisphere, however, suffer from lower levels of vitamin D during the fall, winter and spring. Fortunately, you can make your own supply of vitamin D-enriched mushrooms by simply exposing them to sunlight. You can sun dry or UV-zap store-bought or homegrown shiitake, maitake, button, and many other mushroom species. My personal preference is home grown organic shiitake. The high vitamin D levels generated will last for more than a year. Surprisingly, even sliced and dried mushrooms—including wild ones picked the year before—will soar in vitamin D when placed outdoors under the sun. Now, the summer time, from June until September, is the best seasonal window for people in northern latitudes to make vitamin D enriched mushrooms!”

Sorry for posting this guy, but it's a simple but useful perspective that I think isn't considered enough.

The idea that VD production from sun is primarily a protective mechanism for the insulted skin. darker skin - less damage - less VD needed.

VD production is reliant of functioning levels of CHO and low PUFA.

Optimal VD levels can easily be obtained through animal fats.

Low body fat increases VD availability.

Mason if off on many things, but he communicates in a way your luddite colleges can understand.

His stance on plant sterols is interesting in the context of coconut oil.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVqNO8rgYKk&ab_channel=LowCarbDownUnder

Dr. B

Sorry for posting this guy, but it's a simple but useful perspective that I think isn't considered enough.

The idea that VD production from sun is primarily a protective mechanism for the insulted skin. darker skin - less damage - less VD needed.

VD production is reliant of functioning levels of CHO and low PUFA.

Optimal VD levels can easily be obtained through animal fats.

Low body fat increases VD availability.

Mason if off on many things, but he communicates in a way your luddite colleges can understand.

His stance on plant sterols is interesting in the context of coconut oil.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVqNO8rgYKk&ab_channel=LowCarbDownUnder

Doesnt darker skin equal more damage from the sun? The darkening is itself damage from the sun similar to bruising or burning

Dave Clark

I think D is possibly way more nuanced than Mason talks about. The cholesterol sulfate made from the skin that circulates the body, etc. Skin protection may be one of the benefits, but it has been shown in studies that people who get enough sun, have higher levels of D. I think both animal fats, D from mushrooms, etc. are all beneficial. And, UV is damaging, but has shown in studies to be beneficial.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals