Vitamin D supplementation is associated with slower epigenetic aging

Sefton10

Adverse effects of low vitamin D level on mortality and morbidity are controversially discussed. Especially older people are at risk for vitamin D deficiency and therefore exposed to its potentially harmful consequences. A way of measuring differences in the biological age is through DNA methylation age (DNAm age) and its deviation from chronological age, DNAm age acceleration (DNAmAA). We previously reported on an association between vitamin D deficiency and higher 7-CpG DNAmAA in participants of the Berlin Aging Study II (BASE-II). In this study, we employ a quasi-interventional study design to assess the relationship between DNAmAA of five epigenetic clocks and vitamin D supplementation. Longitudinal data were available for 1,036 participants of BASE-II that were reexamined on average 7.4 years later in the GendAge study (mean age at follow-up: 75.6 years, SD = 3.8 years, age range: 64.9–94.1 years, 51.9% female). DNAmAA was estimated with the 7-CpG clock, Horvath’s clock, Hannum’s clock, PhenoAge, and GrimAge. Methylation data were obtained through methylation-sensitive single nucleotide primer extension (MS-SNuPE) or Illumina’s Infinium “MethylationEPIC” array. Vitamin D–deficient participants who chose to start vitamin D supplementation after baseline examination showed a 2.6-year lower 7-CpG DNAmAA (p = 0.011) and 1.3-year lower Horvath DNAmAA (p = 0.042) compared to untreated and vitamin D–deficient participants. DNAmAA did not statistically differ between participants with successfully treated vitamin D deficiency and healthy controls (p > 0.16). Therefore, we conclude that intake of vitamin D supplement is associated with lower DNAmAA in participants with vitamin D deficiency.

FitnessMike

yea man i sometimes wonder if daily vit d is alright long term and were dont create some imbalances innit

rayfan1

Adverse effects of low vitamin D level on mortality and morbidity are controversially discussed. Especially older people are at risk for vitamin D deficiency and therefore exposed to its potentially harmful consequences. A way of measuring differences in the biological age is through DNA methylation age (DNAm age) and its deviation from chronological age, DNAm age acceleration (DNAmAA). We previously reported on an association between vitamin D deficiency and higher 7-CpG DNAmAA in participants of the Berlin Aging Study II (BASE-II). In this study, we employ a quasi-interventional study design to assess the relationship between DNAmAA of five epigenetic clocks and vitamin D supplementation. Longitudinal data were available for 1,036 participants of BASE-II that were reexamined on average 7.4 years later in the GendAge study (mean age at follow-up: 75.6 years, SD = 3.8 years, age range: 64.9–94.1 years, 51.9% female). DNAmAA was estimated with the 7-CpG clock, Horvath’s clock, Hannum’s clock, PhenoAge, and GrimAge. Methylation data were obtained through methylation-sensitive single nucleotide primer extension (MS-SNuPE) or Illumina’s Infinium “MethylationEPIC” array. Vitamin D–deficient participants who chose to start vitamin D supplementation after baseline examination showed a 2.6-year lower 7-CpG DNAmAA (p = 0.011) and 1.3-year lower Horvath DNAmAA (p = 0.042) compared to untreated and vitamin D–deficient participants. DNAmAA did not statistically differ between participants with successfully treated vitamin D deficiency and healthy controls (p > 0.16). Therefore, we conclude that intake of vitamin D supplement is associated with lower DNAmAA in participants with vitamin D deficiency.

I stopped taking Vitamin D supplements after hearing about dangers of supplementation from Morley Robbins who appreciates Ray Peat a lot.

AnonE

Hmm I've been taking 5k Vit D religiously for over a decade, initially to help with seasonal affective disorder (which it did). Now in my early 30s I definitely look and feel younger than many of my peers, it's great :)

Orome

Forum Supporter
I stopped taking Vitamin D supplements after hearing about dangers of supplementation from Morley Robbins who appreciates Ray Peat a lot.

What are the dangers of supplementation?
In regards to this study: „slower epigenetic aging“. Isn‘t this good?? ?

Dr. B

What were the dangers according to him?

I had insane issues from 10,000 IU d3 taken daily for 3 years straight.

joaquin

What were the dangers according to him?

I had insane issues from 10,000 IU d3 taken daily for 3 years straight.
What are these insane issues?

Dr. B

What are these insane issues?
every cortisol and serotonin symptom on the list, I have had insane benefits just one week after dropping all D3 supplements. more energy no joint pain, slimmer face, erections all day, more appetite, having to sleep in boxers

joaquin

every cortisol and serotonin symptom on the list, I have had insane benefits just one week after dropping all D3 supplements. more energy no joint pain, slimmer face, erections all day, more appetite, having to sleep in boxers
I've tried quitting the vitamin D because I have noticed slight issues. In the summer, no problem. But in the winter, not so easy. I try to balance it out with Vitamin K.

Dr. B

I've tried quitting the vitamin D because I have noticed slight issues. In the summer, no problem. But in the winter, not so easy. I try to balance it out with Vitamin K.
I had issues when I used a toxic multivitamin for 2 years, with 5000Iu vitamin A retinyl palmitate and acetate, only 400 Iu D3. got major benefits for 2 years when I added 5000 IU supplemental D3 to that. then some issues started.
for the last 3 years I had been doing only 3000-4000 IU A daily all from milk or liver. 10,000 IU of D3. now major benefits from stopping it.

could there be major changes/improvements that occur will the body activate or process all that stored up D3 since I stopped supplementing it

joaquin

I had issues when I used a toxic multivitamin for 2 years, with 5000Iu vitamin A retinyl palmitate and acetate, only 400 Iu D3. got major benefits for 2 years when I added 5000 IU supplemental D3 to that. then some issues started.
for the last 3 years I had been doing only 3000-4000 IU A daily all from milk or liver. 10,000 IU of D3. now major benefits from stopping it.

could there be major changes/improvements that occur will the body activate or process all that stored up D3 since I stopped supplementing it
I think there is a few weeks or maybe months worth that can be stored.

lvysaur

What's your racial/ethnic background out of curiosity?

Jam

It's odd that D has such disparate effects on people. Today, I spent a couple hours removing weeds from my potato garden, in full sunshine without a shirt, as I have been doing for weeks almost daily, so I have a decent tan, and probably fairly decent levels of D, as I had been taking 10-15K IU all fall/winter/spring until a couple weeks ago. Suffice it to say, that I had to adopt bizarre kneeling / squatting positions and so when I came back inside, within 15 minutes my lower back started kicking my ****. So, I popped 5K IU, and 30 minutes later the back pain was gone. It works like this without fail. In fact, I never have joint / back pain during the colder months when I supplement D. It is only when I stop, during the summer (thinking that I don't need it) that my back or sciatica will flare up.

Dr. B

What's your racial/ethnic background out of curiosity?
middle eastern, persian, indian. my skin tone is pretty light, usually people guess im italian, greek, indian white mix, or middle eastern.

do you know what would happen to the skin/eye color after stopping the D3 and not getting much sunlight? my eye color has changed from a dark brown to a noticeably lighter brown, over the last couple years. but I was doing the 10k IU D3 during this time.

and theres a few quotes going around here about vitamin D being less important the more milk you consume is that true. people in the artic areas supposedly did fine with little sunlight thanks to lots of dairy and red meat.

the selfhacked website mentions vitamin D increasing serotonin, I do get all the serotonin effects from it. im also wondering how much D3 is in grass fed whole milk.

also my cousin has a pretty good metabolic rate and he doesnt supplement anything nor get much sunlight. he will even eat pufa foods from time to time, but the basic daily diet is meat/rice dishes or bread, fruits, and just 32oz of low quality 2% milk. based on all the official recommendations he would be deficient in vitamin D, and might be getting excess vitamin A since 2% milk is fortified with it. yet he seems to be doing fine. hes also darker than me so that means lack of sunlight would affect him more than me I think

“Exposing mushrooms to UV light whether by design or unintentionally causes measurable increases in the vitamin D2 content. As a result, mushrooms can provide appreciable amounts of vitamin D2 to the diet. Amounts will vary depending on the type of light and duration of exposure.”

“Vitamin D plays an important role in calcium and phosphorus absorption, making it essential for the maintenance of healthy bones and teeth. More than just the 'sunshine vitamin’, it also contributes to maintaining regular muscle function and supporting your immune system.

Now, egg yolks are one of the few foods that contain naturally high amounts of vitamin D, with a serving of two eggs providing 82% of your recommended daily intake.”

https://www.australianeggs.org.au/nutrition/nutrients-and-vitamins#:~:text=More%20than%20just%20the%20'sunshine,of%20your%20recommended%20daily%20intake.

Australian Eggs Nutrient Analysis 2018
Conducted by National Measurement Institute (NMI), a division within the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science

Nutrient2018 average qty per 100g
Retinol (vitamin A)98mcg
Riboflavin0.4mg
Thiamin0.05mg
Vitamin B60.02mg
Vitamin B120.33mcg
Biotin5.2mcg
Folate88mcg
Vitamin D7.9mcg
Vitamin E1.9mg
Pantothenic acid1.07mg
Potassium131mg