Is there an Ambien substitute?

Sam321

I've taken ambien the last two nights after not sleeping for a week. I'm happy to get some sleep but wary of long term effects of taking it.

Anyone know of a safer alternative that could also help me get to sleep as effectively?

S-VV

Trazodone
Amitriptyline
Mirtazapine
Diphenhydramine or doxylamine
Progesterone

Rave re-peat

Fix the stress issue instead? If benadryl or melatonin doesnt help and only gaba agonist works then focus on doing that? Not sleeping for a week seem like you have insomnia? Do you eat? Carbs? There will not be anything as effective as benzodiazepines specially something that is not addictive at least. If you use ambien properly. Do you suffer from anxiety? If not ambien is safer to use at doctors dose for a little while to get some sleep. If you already have anxiety issues taking ambien for more than a few days can be bad idea as your even more prone to rebound anxiety and thats what gets you addicted.

OP
Sam321

Sam321

Fix the stress issue instead? If benadryl or melatonin doesnt help and only gaba agonist works then focus on doing that? Not sleeping for a week seem like you have insomnia? Do you eat? Carbs? There will not be anything as effective as benzodiazepines specially something that is not addictive at least. If you use ambien properly. Do you suffer from anxiety? If not ambien is safer to use at doctors dose for a little while to get some sleep. If you already have anxiety issues taking ambien for more than a few days can be bad idea as your even more prone to rebound anxiety and thats what gets you addicted.

Related link...

In the after glow of this.
Good info, don't plan on taking it more than a few days just to get some sleep under my belt.
Not sure how to answer the question of anxiety. I def have sleep anxiety after not sleeping over a week combined, but also the sleeplessness was brought on by getting off penicillin. It could have catalyzed other stressors and anxiety in my life for sure. Either way, I needed sleep bro, literally didn't sleep for 5 days.

Velve921

Clonidine or Cyproheptadine
Vanilla haganaas ice cream with salt, honey, and gelatin before bed

Rave re-peat

Related link...

In the after glow of this.
Good info, don't plan on taking it more than a few days just to get some sleep under my belt.
Not sure how to answer the question of anxiety. I def have sleep anxiety after not sleeping over a week combined, but also the sleeplessness was brought on by getting off penicillin. It could have catalyzed other stressors and anxiety in my life for sure. Either way, I needed sleep bro, literally didn't sleep for 5 days.

Ok yeah I think ambien is safe for you to use untill you get your sleep under control. You seem cautious and understand the drugs so I wouldnt be worried as long as you treat them with respect they can work as a band aid untill you figuered out. I have had my go with benzos myself abusing them actually. And it takes quite along time actually and high doses to get addicted. Ive used xanax in the past at low doses everyday for 2-3 months. Valium high doses for months aswell. I had some insomnia going off valium back then I also did have underlying anxiety issues wich usually makes it worse getting off. Coz the contrast of feeling 0 anxiety on the drugs is so huge that going back to your anxiety feels like its alot worse when it probably is not. Thats the issue with them tho. They are just a temporary fix. And people usually dont have time in their stressfull life to fix the real issues. So they go on the band aid for too long. But the underlying wound will just grow and get worse. And thats when they get hooked. People whom dont have any sleep or anxiety issues usually dont get addicted. They have no need for them. So yeah dont worry too much about it.

OP
Sam321

Sam321

Ok yeah I think ambien is safe for you to use untill you get your sleep under control. You seem cautious and understand the drugs so I wouldnt be worried as long as you treat them with respect they can work as a band aid untill you figuered out. I have had my go with benzos myself abusing them actually. And it takes quite along time actually and high doses to get addicted. Ive used xanax in the past at low doses everyday for 2-3 months. Valium high doses for months aswell. I had some insomnia going off valium back then I also did have underlying anxiety issues wich usually makes it worse getting off. Coz the contrast of feeling 0 anxiety on the drugs is so huge that going back to your anxiety feels like its alot worse when it probably is not. Thats the issue with them tho. They are just a temporary fix. And people usually dont have time in their stressfull life to fix the real issues. So they go on the band aid for too long. But the underlying wound will just grow and get worse. And thats when they get hooked. People whom dont have any sleep or anxiety issues usually dont get addicted. They have no need for them. So yeah dont worry too much about it.
Kinda hard to speak on the anxiety part.
Yeah, had anxiety before this started, likely due to isolation past trauma blah blah blah. But it didn't keep me from sleeping, working, functioning, etc. Whatever happened 3 weeks ago ****88 me up making me unable to sleep or start a new job. Not really sure what to think. Def have anxiety from not sleeping for 9 days though, so yeah...

The way I see it right now is Ambien was the last resort as I wasn't sleeping anyway. :/

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals