Things are going well with my health excluding sleep issues

biggirlkisss

I am doing well and improving in all areas of my health meaning energy ablity to handle emotional stress and digustion no foods in stool anymore or major stomach issues. Sleep has been a battle for me I am on seroqul and tarazone but had to take more and more serouql to get to sleep. I've reached a max dose which they won't go higher for because of side effects and risk type 2 and insulin resistance. I have to eat before going to bed or I can't sleep at all. I've gotten up very slowly to the point of taking 800mg of meltonin which is like 0.80 grams. I've seen safety studies up to a gram but I don't want to go higher. I'm looking for options to get to sleep I know some say magnism is helpful but I dunno if it gonig to knock me out like metlonin will. I wanted to try

Valerian root but I don't know if it safe long term.​

Any suggestions?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
That sounds like a very challenging situation. I don’t know about the safety of valerian but hopefully someone does. I’m completely stunned about that dosage of melatonin. I thought it was a typo at first. Since you are already aware of all things circadian rhythm and light I’m honestly not sure what to suggest.
Btw- You were completely right about shift work. It’s taken me nearly 3 years to get my sleep back to 90% after doing a 4 month stint on nights at the end of 2019. I was hoping to see you here again so I could let you know. I knew it didn’t agree with me but I never imagined it would take years to get back to normal.

OP
biggirlkisss

biggirlkisss

I find going to bed at 9pm to be even better for results even in the summer when the sun not down yet.

ArtIt

Years ago when I had insomnia. I heard an advice on the radio - to get up at the same time every morning, no matter even if you slept very little at night. And that cured my insomnia in a week. Now I do not have problem falling asleep, but I have a problem not sleeping long enough. I have found that a glass of whole milk with a tbs of gelatin, and 2 tbs of sugar, and two slices of toasted rye bread, before bed prolong my sleep by 1 hour.

Vanset

Maybe try doxepin if you haven't? It's a strong anti-histamine. I find 25 mg of doxepin and 1 mg of melatonin helps.

Birdie

I was just reading this about sleep in an old Ray Peat article:

"The amino acids taurine and glycine are also considered to be inhibitory transmitters in the brain. Gelatin, which is extremely rich in glycine, is often added to fruit juice to take at bedtime as a sleep- supporting drink.
Several of the local anesthetics including procaine and lidocaine, have cell-protecting action. Their anti-inflammatory or antihistamine function is probably caused by a more general cell- stabilizing effect.

For example, lidocaine is used to prevent heart arrhythmia, and it can prevent tired heart cells from taking up too much calcium (which depletes cellular energy, in a deadly vicious circle).

When taken orally at bedtime they act directly on the intestine (especially if there is inflammation anywhere in the intestine)to normalize its function, and even an occasional dose can have a long-lasting effect on the general health."

Only thing is that I've searched and cannot find procaine and lidocaine that's pure enough to swallow. There are some lidocaine powders on amazon, but I'm not sure about their purity...

Townsend Letter for Doctors
January 1991

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals