Is pasta actually superior to bread? What about phyllo dough and raisin bran?

Logan-

Rice pasta?

Last edited:
a baker here to add his grain of sand to the discussion:

if you start out with dough made of wheat flour and water, it could take up to seven days for it to ferment. no one in the world makes bread like this, and i don't believe it's ever in the whole history of mankind been made like this, except in the experimental stage of baking very early on. actual sourdough is made by adding this aforementioned ferment (a small portion) to a larger piece of dough that awaits to be fermented. the sourdough -the piece of dough that has been fermented for seven days, or nine, or twelve- functions as the modern day yeast. it ferments the bulk of the dough. sourdough, in addition to yeast, contains lactic acid bacteria, which is, as far as i understand, what ends up destroying the gluten web. it's the acid. you can ferment dough for seven days, by adding a portion of sourdough to a larger mass of dough, but by day seven you have goop, not dough. you CAN bake this, but you need a container to do so, you can't shape this into a loaf. you can't buy a loaf like this anywhere, but if you are into baking, i recommend you try it, the result is good. anyways, since the gluten has been destroyed by the acid, it won't hold together. it'll look like pancake mix, but exceedingly acidic, and bubbly. so yes, this extreme form of the sourdough process does reduce gluten, but it renders the gluten-building process useless. “real” sourdoughs -the ones our ancestors made and can still be made at home- must be handled in a more gentle way than “regular” doughs because they “break” so easily. the building of the gluten has to be timed over several hours to coincide with the peak of fermentation, BEFORE the acid from fermentation starts to break down the gluten.
aside from this, what is most interesting -to me at least- is that recently a lot of the research dealing with the supposed ubiquitous “gluten sensitivity” has now been redirected to the subject of ati's, amylase-trypsin inhibitors, which are supposed to be, according to the latest research, the real culprits behind wheat sensitivities. this is why some people swear by einkorn flour, because it's the only gluten-containing grain with low ati's. the sourdough process btw also reduces or effectively renders useless those same ati's.
So this pretty much changed my life as I finally got around to trying Einkorn and what a shock that it doesn't give me the symptoms that I quit wheat over. I could cry as baking bread and eating it too is such a huge part of life satisfaction and I was merely a shell of a human being until this. Even better is that it tastes amazing and is more nutritious than modern wheat.

Thank you for mentioning this :kiss:

lvysaur

I don't like pasta. If I have to eat it, I get the thin hair one
Chinese wheat noodles are easier to digest and don't give me the same "heavy" feeling

Some people think pasta is more interesting due to its shape, but the reality is that a thin noodle is the apex of design and cannot be improved upon. Both taste-wise and digestion-wise

Chinese noodles are made of normal wheat flour, while European pasta is made of "semolina", this is probably an additional reason

Pasta is a bad food, even worse than other wheat products. Though the thinnest varieties are still tolerable simply due to their thinness.

traditional ways of eating wheat (like bread in a sandwich) are also bad. You're supposed to salivate and slowly savor bread, but eating a strip of meat sandwiched within makes this difficult, because we instinctively eat meat quickly. In general, I eat protein bites separately from starch bites, though eating them together is probably forgivable with digestible stuff like rice.

Last edited:
So this pretty much changed my life as I finally got around to trying Einkorn and what a shock that it doesn't give me the symptoms that I quit wheat over. I could cry as baking bread and eating it too is such a huge part of life satisfaction and I was merely a shell of a human being until this. Even better is that it tastes amazing and is more nutritious than modern wheat.

Thank you for mentioning this :kiss:
Einkorn pasta is amazing!

OP
D

Dr. B

I don't like pasta. If I have to eat it, I get the thin hair one
Chinese wheat noodles are easier to digest and don't give me the same "heavy" feeling

Some people think pasta is more interesting due to its shape, but the reality is that a thin noodle is the apex of design and cannot be improved upon. Both taste-wise and digestion-wise

Chinese noodles are made of normal wheat flour, while European pasta is made of "semolina", this is probably an additional reason

Pasta is a bad food, even worse than other wheat products. Though the thinnest varieties are still tolerable simply due to their thinness.

traditional ways of eating wheat (like bread in a sandwich) are also bad. You're supposed to salivate and slowly savor bread, but eating a strip of meat sandwiched within makes this difficult, because we instinctively eat meat quickly. In general, I eat protein bites separately from starch bites, though eating them together is probably forgivable with digestible stuff like rice.
Why worse than other wheat products, because of digestion ability? Is it because of the semolina wheat that its bad or the structure? And it seems like its meant to be slower digesting than regular wheat products. It seems to take much longer to digest compared to other wheat bagels. It seems like puff pastries like danishes or croissants digest easiest (maybe because they have a lot more air, followed by certain types of burger buns and donuts. Something like bagels seem to take longer to digest. And pasta takes even longer it seems

lvysaur

Why worse than other wheat products, because of digestion ability? Is it because of the semolina wheat that its bad or the structure? And it seems like its meant to be slower digesting than regular wheat products. It seems to take much longer to digest compared to other wheat bagels. It seems like puff pastries like danishes or croissants digest easiest (maybe because they have a lot more air, followed by certain types of burger buns and donuts. Something like bagels seem to take longer to digest. And pasta takes even longer it seems
Yes, bagels are very dense and also sit "heavy" in the stomach. I've never liked bagels at all. Don't know if it's due to a difference in the wheat.

Pasta is made from semolina, and this is the main reason it digests worse. Otherwise there should be no difference betweeen pasta and a lamian/ramen noodle. Fresh pasta seems okay, but dried pasta doesn't (dried ramen noodles are okay for me)

OP
D

Dr. B

Yes, bagels are very dense and also sit "heavy" in the stomach. I've never liked bagels at all. Don't know if it's due to a difference in the wheat.

Pasta is made from semolina, and this is the main reason it digests worse. Otherwise there should be no difference betweeen pasta and a lamian/ramen noodle. Fresh pasta seems okay, but dried pasta doesn't (dried ramen noodles are okay for me)
Some arricle said the way gluten molecules are bonded in pasta make them harder to break down, thus it digests much slower, and thats why its lower on the glycemix index and considered better for people with blood sugar issues

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals