Is Eating An Orange Same As Juicing It?

pauljacob

mrchibbs

I too would like some more info from Georgi on this, specificially the reference for the study which said a cup of OJ provided around 200mg of naringenin (via naringin).

But I do know a bit about the topic, so here are my thoughts:

1. Basically yes. Unless you also eat the peel in a marmalade, which contains more beneficial compounds.
2. No, grapefruit and mandarin have a A LOT more than almost all other citrus fruits.
3. Depends on how much you eat. An orange a day won't do it.

Unless you have an incredible supply of ripe oranges, or can make and eat a lot of homemade marmalade with grapefruits, mandarins, oranges, and other citrus, you likely would need some extra naringin extract to get the full therapeutic potency.

dukesbobby777

I have always been skeptical of the commercially sold processed juices and what beneficial compounds they might still contain (if any). Store bought OJ is nothing like freshly squeezed/pressed.

OP
pauljacob

pauljacob

I too would like some more info from Georgi on this, specificially the reference for the study which said a cup of OJ provided around 200mg of naringenin (via naringin).

But I do know a bit about the topic, so here are my thoughts:

1. Basically yes. Unless you also eat the peel in a marmalade, which contains more beneficial compounds.
2. No, grapefruit and mandarin have a A LOT more than almost all other citrus fruits.
3. Depends on how much you eat. An orange a day won't do it.

Unless you have an incredible supply of ripe oranges, or can make and eat a lot of homemade marmalade with grapefruits, mandarins, oranges, and other citrus, you likely would need some extra naringin extract to get the full therapeutic potency.

Thank you mrchibbs for your answers.
1. I make my own marmalade and eat it daily with breakfast.
2. Glad to hear about grapefruit. I eat half after dinner.
3. Sure. A 12oz glass takes 3-5 oranges, depending on the size.
Appreciate your answers :thumbsup:

mrchibbs

You seem to be doing well then!

mrchibbs

I have always been skeptical of the commercially sold processed juices and what beneficial compounds they might still contain (if any). Store bought OJ is nothing like freshly squeezed/pressed.

Based on the research it should still contain naringin, especially if there are no additives and it is not from concentrate.

Pet Peeve

Sorry, I would stay away from grapefruit, it inhibits cytochrome P450.

Dr. B

organic is a more important factor than the fresh squeezed, due to the pesticides/issues with non organic product, but even taste.
if you go to whole foods or anywhere, their non organic fresh squeezed juice has a sour tart taste. while the organic, pasteurized juice has a better, sweeter taste. now whole foods does also offer an organic and also fresh squeezed OJ as well, which is the most expensive stuff. that stuff is sweeter than non organic, and has a bit of a different flavor to the organic pasteurized OJ.

Dr. B

Sorry, I would stay away from grapefruit, it inhibits cytochrome P450.
doesnt estrogen and diabetes increase/upregulate that enzyme? i imagine it gets upregulated anytime you're consuming more toxins or negative hormones? not sure of the mechanism behind why grapefruit lowers it.
im not sure if we want to lower it or boost it? it seems it excretes toxins but also deactivates some hormones and excretes them quicker. there's a bunch of substances some consider Peaty or beneficial which reduce cytochrome P450. like apigenin. some of those compounds which reduce the enzyme, are actually estrogenic substances...

regarding grapefruit juice, at least one of those anti CYP3A4 compounds, naringenin is also found in orange juice. i think haidut said hes releasing a naringenin aromatase inhibitor product. that actually lines up with selfhacked, somehow estrogen increases CYP3A4, whereas naringenin decreases it. its strange that most of the pro CYP3A4 things are negative factors, besides the vitamin D.

Factors That Increase CYP3A4

Factors That Decrease CYP3A4

Food Components​

Herbs​

• Goldenseal [38]
  • Raspberry leaf [34]
  • Milk thistle (compounds silybin and isosilybin) [39]

Supplements and Isolated Compounds​

Drugs​

• Ritonavir, itraconazole [54]
  • Miconazole, ketoconazole [55]
  • Verapamil [56]
  • Sertraline [57]
  • Metformin [58]
  • Nefazodone [59]
  • Clarithromycin [60]
Curcumin has a paradoxical effect, since it both increases and decreases the activity of CYP3A4 [61, 62, 63].

CYP3A4 is one of the cytochrome P450 monooxygenases (CYPs), which are enzymes that eliminate most of the drugs and toxins from our body [1].

This enzyme is one of the most important CYP enzymes since it is responsible for processing approximately 45–60% of prescribed drugs [2, 3]:

• Opioids: sufentanil [2] and methadone [3]
  • Immunosuppressants: cyclosporine [4], tacrolimus [5], and sirolimus [6]
  • Antihypertensive drugs: felodipine [4] and nifedipine [7]
  • Anticancer drugs: endoxifen [7], tamoxifen [8], and sunitinib [7]
  • Sedatives: midazolam [7]
  • Cholesterol-lowering drugs (statins): simvastatin [9], atorvastatin, and lovastatin [7]
  • Antibiotics: erythromycin [5]
  • Corticosteroids: fluticasone propionate [7]
CYP3A4 also:

This enzyme degrades the majority of drugs and cancer-causing agents, to protect cells and the body from toxins [10, 12].

The activity of this enzyme varies up to 40-fold and is affected by health, environment (smoking, diet, and co-medication), hormones, and genetics [3].

Nuclear receptors PXR and CAR activate CYP3A4

Last edited:

Sefton10

organic is a more important factor than the fresh squeezed, due to the pesticides/issues with non organic product, but even taste.
if you go to whole foods or anywhere, their non organic fresh squeezed juice has a sour tart taste. while the organic, pasteurized juice has a better, sweeter taste. now whole foods does also offer an organic and also fresh squeezed OJ as well, which is the most expensive stuff. that stuff is sweeter than non organic, and has a bit of a different flavor to the organic pasteurized OJ.
That’s pretty much the choice in the UK too other than buying your own oranges and juicing. Fresh squeezed/unpasteurised but non-organic vs organic pasteurised. I’ve been doing the former lately.

Dr. B

That’s pretty much the choice in the UK too other than buying your own oranges and juicing. Fresh squeezed/unpasteurised but non-organic vs organic pasteurised. I’ve been doing the former lately.
the US has both available actually, the organic and fresh squeezed is just much pricier. but I also wonder are there some benefits to heating/pasteurizing fruit juices, or are there no allergenic compounds/anti nutrients present in fruit? you generally hear that plant items have compounds which are broken down by cooking, but that may only apply to nuts, vegetables, starches and roots. even then, considering rays comments on coconut oil and allergenicity, I think the shelf stable pasteurized coconut water may be better tolerated than raw coconut water?

also, this could be due to the difference in types of oranges, but 150 calories worth of navel oranges or mandarin oranges, has less nutrients and even vitamin C than 150 calories worth of valencia orange juice. So it seems pasteurizing doesn't get rid of much of the vitamin C and folate at least, or otherwise valencia oranges are so far beyond navel/mandarin oranges that even after pasteurizing they still retain more vitamin C and folate and possibly other nutrients.

the harmless harvest coconut water is considered the best quality, from young coconuts, and it's also raw or near raw, apparently not pasteurized but somehow filtered. it has similar nutrients to pasteurized shelf stable coconut water from mature coconuts. the key difference is, harmless harvest has a massive amount of phosphorus, it's like 160mg phosphorus and 40mg calcium per 8oz cup, whereas shelf stable pasteurized coconut water has around 50mg calcium and 20mg phosphorus per cup!

Last edited:

Mauritio

Any apple juicers here ? It surprisingly tasty to juice them.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals