Intermittent Fasting On Ray Peat

J

j.

Tcrazyjam said:
Thank you.
Unfortunaly scientist define "significant" differently. That's why I asked for concrete findings.
For example i have read statines lower cholesterol "significantly", but in deed fasting was way better for lowering cholesterol.

Maybe you could send me a link to the vitamin E study. For vitamin A status i eat 200 grams liver per week (= 15.000 µg), that is sufficient I think.

David

The first post I made about that in this thread has the link.

HDD

Have you read Ray Peat's article on cholesterol? Here is a helpful quote:

"The studies in the 1930s that showed the protective effects of thyroid hormone against atherosclerosis and heart disease have sometimes been interpreted to mean that the thyroid is protective because it lowers the cholesterol, but since cholesterol is protective, rather than harmful, something else explains the protective effect. Ever since the time of Virchow, who called atherosclerosis arteritis deformans, the inflammatory nature of the problem has been clear to those who aren't crazed by the anticholesterol cult. We are all subject to a variable degree of inflammatory stimulation from the endotoxin absorbed from the intestine, but a healthy liver normally prevents it from reaching the general circulation, and produces a variety of protective factors. The HDL lipoprotein is one of these, which protects against inflammation by binding bacterial endotoxins that have reached the bloodstream. (Things that increase absorption of endotoxin--exercise, estrogen, ethanol--cause HDL to rise.) Chylomicrons and VLDL also absorb, bind, and help to eliminate endotoxins. All sorts of stress and malnutrition increase the tendency of endotoxin to leak into the bloodstream. Thyroid hormone, by increasing the turnover of cholesterol and its conversion into the protective steroids, is a major factor in keeping the inflammatory processes under control."
(bold mine)
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ch ... vity.shtml

HDD

And from the same article:

The functions of cholesterol parallel the functions of other sterols in plants and other types of organism. Its functions have been refined and extended with the development of other steroids, such as progesterone, as biological requirements have evolved, but cholesterol is still at the center of this system. To deliberately interfere with its synthesis, as contemporary medicine does, reveals a terrible arrogance. "

(Bold mine)

HDD

I have high cholesterol and need to lose some excess weight, too.

"Barnes experimented on rabbits, and found that when their thyroid glands were removed, they developed atherosclerosis, just as hypothyroid people did. By the mid-1930s, it was generally known that hypothyroidism causes the cholesterol level in the blood to increase; hypercholesterolemia was a diagnostic sign of hypothyroidism. Administering a thyroid supplement, blood cholesterol came down to normal exactly as the basal metabolic rate came up to the normal rate. The biology of atherosclerotic heart disease was basically solved before the second world war.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/thyroid.shtml

(Bold mine)

Do you have other symptoms of hypothyroidism?

OP
T

Tcrazyjam

Thanks for these wonderful quotes, - it helps.

Well, i have some symtoms for hypothyroidism, especially low energy/ fatigue, but my doctor said my blood is ok

data from august:

tsh: 3,22
fT3: 2,40
fT4: 12,67

leo

There is a direct correlation between thyroid and cholesterol....it is well documented.

I had high cholesterol, went on Cytomel and cholesterol came way down....too far down in fact. I lowered Cytomel and it came back up to where I like it.

In fact I use my cholesterol reading to gauge whether I am on the right amount of Cytomel.

HDD

"Each of the indicators of thyroid function can be useful, but has to be interpreted in relation to the physiological state."

(bold mine)

"Over a period of several years, I never saw a person whose TSH was over 2 microIU/ml who was comfortably healthy, and I formed the impression that the normal, or healthy, quantity was probably something less than 1.0."
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/hy ... dism.shtml

You need to evaluate your health history and symptoms. There is quite an extensive list for symptoms. I will try to find a link for you.

HDD

"Until the 1940s, hypothyroidism was diagnosed on the basis of signs and symptoms, and sometimes the measurement of oxygen consumption (“basal metabolic rate”) was used for confirmation. Besides the introduction of supposedly “scientific” blood tests, such as the measurement of protein-bound iodine (PBI) in the blood, there were other motives for becoming parsimonious with the diagnosis of hypothyroidism."

"Between 1940 and about 1950, the estimated percentage of hypothyroid Americans went from 30% or 40% to 5%, on the basis of the PBI test, and it has stayed close to that lower number (many publications claim it to be only 1% or 2%). By the time that the measurement of PBI was shown to be only vaguely related to thyroid hormonal function, it had been in use long enough for a new generation of physicians to be taught to disregard the older ideas about diagnosing and treating hypothyroidism. They were taught to inform their patients that the traditional symptoms that were identified as hypothyroidism before 1950 were the result of the patients' own behavior (sloth and gluttony, for example, which produced fatigue, obesity, and heart disease), or that the problems were imaginary (women's hormonal and neurological problems, especially), or that they were simply mysterious diseases and defects (recurring infections, arthritis, and cancer, for example)."

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/hy ... dism.shtml

HDD

leo said:
There is a direct correlation between thyroid and cholesterol....it is well documented.

I had high cholesterol, went on Cytomel and cholesterol came way down....too far down in fact. I lowered Cytomel and it came back up to where I like it.

In fact I use my cholesterol reading to gauge whether I am on the right amount of Cytomel.

I just started cynomel/cynoplus this week, so I won't know for a while how it affects my cholesterol. However, higher cholesterol is protective as we age.

OP
T

Tcrazyjam

Wow, you are so sweet. Thank you very much.
The problem in germany is, you cannot buy supplements like cytomel & co, like in the us in every drug store.
And my doctor said allready no to medications.
I tried another doctor and told him many symptoms, but he said no too.
6 months before i went to another doctor and I was bagging for medication, but he said you are ok.
So what can i do, when all my doctors do not help me?
maybe i can ask my brother in the us, to import a GOOD supplement for my hypothyroidism. What do you thing?

1.) what brand can i use?
2.) how much is the dosage?

the brand has to be very priceless and should last for at least 3 months, because I want to go for intermittent fasting in order to lose weight and lower my cholesterol again. And I am pretty sure for that case my doctor check my tsh,t3/t4 again, because i am really afraid about possible side effects.

Gabriel

Neither you can buy them just like that in the US. You have to get it shipped from mexican pharmacies. You'll find sources here in the forum (farmacio de nino, mexican pharmacy). The products are cynomel (T3) and cynoplus (T3+T4).

HDD

Some on this forum are using cynoplus and cynomel. You need to go very slow with minuscule amounts. I have been using diet and supplements for over a year to increase metabolism and just recently began the medication. Others have great success with NDT from Thailand. You need to read as much as you can to gain understanding.As Leo stated, she uses cytomel. Erfa is another thyroid medication.

I don't know which is better. Ray Peat uses cynoplus/cynomel.

OP
T

Tcrazyjam

Ok. But my t4 is very high, just my t3 is low.
Is this an indicate for using only t3, or not?
thank you, i appreciate your help

HDD

I don't know the answer to that. Someone else can probably help you with that.

leo

When you have high t4 and low t3, then the problem you are having is in converting the t4 into usable t3 form. This happens in the liver.

There are many many reasons for conversion problems, low minerals, particularly selenium, low iodine, high cortisol, many others.

So bascially your thyroid is functioning well in that you have good "stores" of thyroid (t4). Yet you lack the "active" (t3) thyroid which is what the body uses for all of its metabolic processes including the production of cholesterol.

I would either try testing my minerals and cortisol, or just go ahead and bite the bullet and take some t3 only. That, for people who do not go through a doctor, would be the cynomel. Start with a small dose and track your temperatures and they should begin to rise with this. Also, after a few months you can check your cholesterol again and you will be pleased to see it has come down quite nicely.

leo

Forgot to add that sometimes reverse t3 (rt3) can be blocking your t3 receptors and you may not be getting t3 into your cells.

There is a test to see if you have high 3.

Regardless, if you do, supplementing with t3 only is the solution. So either way, it looks like you could use some t3.

leo

Sorry...I really should "pause" before I hit send. I always remember something too late...

Meant to add.....supplementing with enough t3 will also lower your tsh,,,,which is a tad high.

I take t3 only and my tsh is 0.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals