How Would You Counter Iron Overload?

marko9437

Would increasing copper to balance/regulate too much iron be feasible? Anything else?

tankasnowgod

Would increasing copper to balance/regulate too much iron be feasible? Anything else?

Nah. Donate Blood. This has been discussed on the forum ad naseum. Nothing lowers iron more predictably or quicker.

If that's not an option, there are other methods. IP6 seems to work well. Or, you can use calcium channel blockers and aspirin, like E.D. Weinberg does (and he wrote "Exposing The Hidden Dangers of Iron").

You can also do a low iron diet with milk/dairy and eggs being primary protein sources, as Dr. Fachinni laid out in this experiment-

I don't know why people dream up methods that seem to have little chance of success when there are several proven, safe, and effective methods to choose from from researchers that have been focused on lowering iron for decades. It's like, why not try rectangular tires on your car, too?

Jessie

Coffee, high calcium diet, and aspirin are my main tools to combat iron rich foods. Additionally, increasing the utilization of iron helps, so getting plenty of vitamin A to support it's mobilization, which prevents it from accumulating in the organs, is good too.

A low PUFA diet (no stranger around these parts, lol) will reduce some of the oxidative stress properties to iron as well. Iron becomes really dangerous when it reacts with unstable fatty acids creating more oxidation.

Tbh, if someone is deep into applying Peat's principles, I really don't see how they could be in danger of getting too much iron. If anything, I'd think their iron would probably be on the low side.

equipoise

Just donate blood really. I donate four times a year and it keeps my iron just where it needs to be.

youngsinatra

I would donate blood and eat beef liver regularly for proper iron utilization (copper and retinol). I'd take niacinamide and thiamin, because these have been shown to induce mild anemia.
Drinking coffee or something calcium-rich with or after an meat-rich meal could help as well.

peateats1

Just curious, sorry to hijack the thread, but where should our iron numbers be? Mine is always around 119-130 on a basic cbc blood panel. It just says Iron....119. The reference range is from 37-133. I haven't ever done an iron panel with saturation % etc.

youngsinatra

Just curious, sorry to hijack the thread, but where should our iron numbers be? Mine is always around 119-130 on a basic cbc blood panel. It just says Iron....119. The reference range is from 37-133. I haven't ever done an iron panel with saturation % etc.
I'd check:
Ceruloplasmin, Copper, Ferritin, Hemoglobin, Iron & TIBC, Transferrin.

Serum Iron doesn't really tell that much about iron status.

FitnessMike

supplementing magnesium should lower iron

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals