How to solve - Calories limited by allergies to food

Yogurt isn't even a Ray Peat food because of it's lactic acid, and as he says questionable cultures.
"Preventively, avoiding foods containing lactic acid, such as yogurt and sauerkraut, would be helpful, since bacterial lactic acid is much more toxic than the type that we form under stress." -Ray Peat

I’m finding it very difficult to eat enough calories on this diet due to intolerances/allergies to dairy, orange juice, dried fruits and issues with starches.

I understand that one should eat calories to boost metabolism and improve thyroid health. But how would one do this without being able to eat this Peaty staple foods?

One option is to eat high amounts of white sugar, or even consuming all these allergenic foods in the hope that after a while improved metabolism may reduce allergic symptoms.. I’m not sure. Any ideas?

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgrxfB9zjf0

OP
DannyIrons™

DannyIrons™

The reason you are having histamine issues with store bought gelatin is because they are long cooked, sometime more than 24 hours worth. Ray talkes about that and say to keep the cooking of them to about 3 hours, which works great for chicken broth, but I need an extra hour or two on beef gelatin to get it that thick and bouncy. Until you lower your histamine load be generous with your sugar, meaning don't feel guilty to make it taste good. I put a lot of sugar on my frozen fruit and in smoothies. It really isn't the sugar that will put weigh on you fast, it is the fats in ice cream and dairy. The point with you and I isn't about being perfect doing this, but making it work. Eventually you will get to where I am and be eating more honey, milk and oranges. Oranges I have found go down very easy by juicing fresh ones, then straining out the pulp and mixing it with equal parts water and adding in white sugar and a good pinch of salt, like a homemade Gatorade. Give it a try. Unfortunately for us we live under the umbrella of "what heals you kills you", so start slow. You will get to otherside of it before you know it. Don't hesitate to ask tons of questions, and there are no stupid ones :)
So grateful for all the great info - thank you. I’m sure this will be a very valuable thread to many people as I personally had no luck with supplements in the past with fighting histamine.
On Google there a plenty of high-ranking ‘histamine’ sites about curing their histamine intolerance but all demonise sugar amazingly.
In regards to the gelatin, mine is also homemade, I don’t eat store bought and mine was cooked for approx 5-6 hours too with good quality meat.
What were your histamine symptoms if you don’t mind my asking? How did it affect your sleep?

Last edited:
I’m finding it very difficult to eat enough calories on this diet due to intolerances/allergies to dairy, orange juice, dried fruits and issues with starches.

I understand that one should eat calories to boost metabolism and improve thyroid health. But how would one do this without being able to eat this Peaty staple foods?

One option is to eat high amounts of white sugar, or even consuming all these allergenic foods in the hope that after a while improved metabolism may reduce allergic symptoms.. I’m not sure. Any ideas?
You could try eating more fat for now. I think fatty ground beef( maybe 70% lean) can be worth a try, since the fat is very low PUFA( only 4 or 5% of total fatty acids). Getting enough calories is very important, and the saturated fats in beef help lower cortisol and lower the stress response, meaning more lean mass retention( including, but not restricted to, muscles). Ray isn't in favor of high fat diets, but temporarily they can help. As you get to a more sustainable place, calorie and nutrient- wise, then you can safely lower the fat content and increase the carb content. And a high fat diet isn't necessarily low carb. Including as much fruit and other carbs as you can without too much discomfort will prevent the hypothyroid symptoms from appearing( as long as you're getting at least around 180 grams of carbs per day).

It's also important to pay attention to mineral intake. On a restrictive diet, it's easy to ingest too little potassium, manganese, selenium etc., so selecting foods which are very high in these( yams, pineapple, red meat are respective examples) or supplementing those nutrients( in case you can't tolerate any foods with a big concentration of them) is necessary, in my opinion.

I personally ate a ton of white sugar for calories for over 3,5 years, and, for me, it only worked as long as I supplemented a lot of things( magnesium, potassium, b1, b2, b3, b7 etc.), or else I'd get deficiency symptoms. Nowadays, I eat way less white sugar, because my gut can tolerate more foods without constipation, but before, white sugar was a very large part of my daily calories, due to the state of my gut.

B

Blaze

I would guess that you have a history of trying different diets like maybe vegan or low carb or keto etc....... and it has done more harm than good and left you with that inability to tolerate a lot of different foods. A lot of people have come to the Peat stuff after trying other stuff and then suffering bad results from other diets. Resolving those food intolerances and gut issues will take time as nothing is fixed overnight , so just persevere. Issues take time to develop and equally so, often take time for the body to resolve.

Peat eating principles are very helpful but I wouldn't be too dogmatic. A mix of Peat foods with some of the better starches work for many. Others must avoid completely any starch. Meats and eggs are usually well tolerated but again, their are exceptions to everything. The food you eat today might not give you symptoms until a day or so later which can make it difficult to determine which food is poorly tolerated.

The goal here is feeling better. Focus on how you feel after trying certain foods and learn what helps and does not help. Also, you can resolve some intolerances by eating the offending foods in small amounts which the body may eventually adapt to and tolerate later in normal amounts. Everyone is different but what works for me is never eat sugar or protein in isolation. I have way less issues if I eat carbs and protein together. Also a very low fat diet seems to be best for me. Supplements for the most part did me more harm than good and eliminating most supplements helped. We tend to throw the kitchen sink at issues and take too large doses also. Progest-E in small daily doses was very helpful. Larger doses--not. And unresolved stress and worry must be battled as it greatly affects digestion and mimics food intolerances. Took a long time for me to resolve some intolerances , but you can learn what works for you and certainly succeed. We want to fix things right now but life does not often work that way. Things take time. Wishing you much luck my friend.

OP
DannyIrons™

DannyIrons™

You could try eating more fat for now. I think fatty ground beef( maybe 70% lean) can be worth a try, since the fat is very low PUFA( only 4 or 5% of total fatty acids). Getting enough calories is very important, and the saturated fats in beef help lower cortisol and lower the stress response, meaning more lean mass retention( including, but not restricted to, muscles). Ray isn't in favor of high fat diets, but temporarily they can help. As you get to a more sustainable place, calorie and nutrient- wise, then you can safely lower the fat content and increase the carb content. And a high fat diet isn't necessarily low carb. Including as much fruit and other carbs as you can without too much discomfort will prevent the hypothyroid symptoms from appearing( as long as you're getting at least around 180 grams of carbs per day).

It's also important to pay attention to mineral intake. On a restrictive diet, it's easy to ingest too little potassium, manganese, selenium etc., so selecting foods which are very high in these( yams, pineapple, red meat are respective examples) or supplementing those nutrients( in case you can't tolerate any foods with a big concentration of them) is necessary, in my opinion.

I personally ate a ton of white sugar for calories for over 3,5 years, and, for me, it only worked as long as I supplemented a lot of things( magnesium, potassium, b1, b2, b3, b7 etc.), or else I'd get deficiency symptoms. Nowadays, I eat way less white sugar, because my gut can tolerate more foods without constipation, but before, white sugar was a very large part of my daily calories, due to the state of my gut.
Thanks, I have some homemade tallow in the fridge that I made and I have some with most meals but maybe I should increase the amount to get those calories up. I eat liver, supplement with eggshell powder. I ate oranges and mango today, and it seemed to go okay but it's usually the day after when it becomes obvious. It raises my temp though which is good.

OP
DannyIrons™

DannyIrons™

I would guess that you have a history of trying different diets like maybe vegan or low carb or keto etc....... and it has done more harm than good and left you with that inability to tolerate a lot of different foods. A lot of people have come to the Peat stuff after trying other stuff and then suffering bad results from other diets. Resolving those food intolerances and gut issues will take time as nothing is fixed overnight , so just persevere. Issues take time to develop and equally so, often take time for the body to resolve.

Peat eating principles are very helpful but I wouldn't be too dogmatic. A mix of Peat foods with some of the better starches work for many. Others must avoid completely any starch. Meats and eggs are usually well tolerated but again, their are exceptions to everything. The food you eat today might not give you symptoms until a day or so later which can make it difficult to determine which food is poorly tolerated.

The goal here is feeling better. Focus on how you feel after trying certain foods and learn what helps and does not help. Also, you can resolve some intolerances by eating the offending foods in small amounts which the body may eventually adapt to and tolerate later in normal amounts. Everyone is different but what works for me is never eat sugar or protein in isolation. I have way less issues if I eat carbs and protein together. Also a very low fat diet seems to be best for me. Supplements for the most part did me more harm than good and eliminating most supplements helped. We tend to throw the kitchen sink at issues and take too large doses also. Progest-E in small daily doses was very helpful. Larger doses--not. And unresolved stress and worry must be battled as it greatly affects digestion and mimics food intolerances. Took a long time for me to resolve some intolerances , but you can learn what works for you and certainly succeed. We want to fix things right now but life does not often work that way. Things take time. Wishing you much luck my friend.
You're right, my previous diet was the PKD diet, I even had a consultation with them (expensive btw). It helped on some things, but wasn't super helpful on allergies and histamine. I've had these issues for a while, I actually was eating 'Peaty' a few years ago but to tell you the truth I didn't stick to it properly and was consuming far too much starch. I won't be able to avoid all foods that make me feel bad, because it would be incredibly limited. So I suppose the method is to limit the damage and misery caused by histamine and try to build up the metabolism, as Rise % rePeat has alluded to - especially using white sugar.

B

Blaze

Your body will probably heal with time and proper nutrition. Sadly, thee are no real overnight fixes. You must simply stick with it and use your best science/wisdom to discern what will work. Listening to your posts , you have a very capable brain. It will be a beautiful thing when a day arrives and you feel different/better and your investment in the healing has yielded results.

OP
DannyIrons™

DannyIrons™

Your body will probably heal with time and proper nutrition. Sadly, thee are no real overnight fixes. You must simply stick with it and use your best science/wisdom to discern what will work. Listening to your posts , you have a very capable brain. It will be a beautiful thing when a day arrives and you feel different/better and your investment in the healing has yielded results.
Thanks Blaze for your words, it's that tug of war between eating enough to increase metabolism versus feeling bad after eating reactive foods. I have a lot of faith that one day my health and strength will be restored, but at the moment I'll just have to slog along and try to be aware (which is essentially most of the battle).

Oh so it is lack of calcium that causes teeth problems you think
Well phosphorus in grains and beans need calcium so if if you consume calcium than the phosphorus takes the calcium it needs from your teeth and bones. I experienced it to be true. My teeth were getting very transparent and worrisome. Since getting on the "Peat" train you can see they are solid again. So if you didn't eat grains you could might get away without milk.

AndrogenicJB

How did you prevent the sugar from doing damage to teeth

Oh so it is lack of calcium that causes teeth problems you think
Here is a silly selfie I sent my brother 6 months ago with a good view of my teeth. I am 4+ years "Peating". I use to have to use Sensodyn for sensitive teeth and I don't have a need to use it anymore because of all the dairy I consume and eliminating the grains and beans.

Attachments

• 20201018_170346.jpg
    20201018_170346.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 16
Here is a silly selfie I sent my brother 6 months ago with a good view of my teeth. I am 4+ years "Peating". I use to have to use Sensodyn for sensitive teeth and I don't have a need to use it anymore because of all the dairy I consume and eliminating the grains and beans.
If you read Weston A Price stuff you will discover that calcium and phosphorus, Vitamin K1, K2 and vitamin D are key to good teeth. I had a chip on one of my teeth that repaired itself. Bone actually sheds and rebuilds itself again, teeth included. Sugar is not a factor as we have been scared to believe.

How did you prevent the sugar from doing damage to teeth
I did do a mouth rinse pretty much always after ingesting anything with sugar. I was supplementing vitamin D and eating liver often, as well as keeping co2 high( mainly b vitamins and high carb intake).

If you read Weston A Price stuff you will discover that calcium and phosphorus, Vitamin K1, K2 and vitamin D are key to good teeth. I had a chip on one of my teeth that repaired itself. Bone actually sheds and rebuilds itself again, teeth included. Sugar is not a factor as we have been scared to believe.
Cool. Ray talked about people who, after having the tip of one of their fingers chopped off( ouch), put a pen case around the tip, to keep it from losing moisture and to concentrate the CO2, and the finger tip regrew back! The regenerative capacity of living organisms is really amazing when the conditions are right. I wonder how much progress in this area we would have already accomplished if the system was set up with other priorities in mind.

I did do a mouth rinse pretty much always after ingesting anything with sugar. I was supplementing vitamin D and eating liver often, as well as keeping co2 high( mainly b vitamins and high carb intake).

Cool. Ray talked about people who, after having the tip of one of their fingers chopped off( ouch), put a pen case around the tip, to keep it from losing moisture and to concentrate the CO2, and the finger tip regrew back! The regenerative capacity of living organisms is really amazing when the conditions are right. I wonder how much progress in this area we would have already accomplished if the system was set up with other priorities in mind.
Oh gosh good point!

Vins7

How did yoU manage to fix your gut?

How did yoU manage to fix your gut?
I didn't really fix it, but I managed to improve my stomach acid enough with niacin, and found a combination of foods that prevents constipation, so these two changes really helped energize my gut to the point of being able to eat a more varied diet. Constipation and lack of stomach acid can make you have weird reactions to foods, even if you would be able to tolerate them otherwise.

Last edited:

golder

I didn't really fix it, but I managed to improve my stomach acid enough with niacin, and found a combination of foods that prevents constipation, so these two changes really helped energize my gut to the point of being able to eat a more varied diet. Constipation and lack of stomach acid can make you have weird reactions to foods, even if you would be able to tolerate them otherwise.
amazing, what dosage and frequency of niacinamide did you use to assist with your gut?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals