Is restrictive eating detrimental over the long term? Immunotherapy applies to food?

dervmai

progress
Restrictive eating leads to more sensitivities in the long term does it not? I see countless posts on reddit of people going on AIP and then suddenly they are way more sensitive to foods.

Ray Peat technically is supportive of restrictive diets. He himself had multiple allergies and food sensitivities...

I was reading more into the gut microbiome, an area that Ray seems to briefly glide over in his works. I read about immunotherapy, how it uses the adaptability of the body to tolerate foods and become more resilient. I think a main definition of "health" is resilience is it not? Ray talks about how if you are not able to tolerate milk..... drink more? He talks about drinking slowly and increasing the amount you drink over time.... But why does he not apply this to the rest of his diet and lifestyle?

Now Ray is a very intelligent man, I'm trying to understand his reasoning for elimination. Why does he recommend things like eliminating starches if digestion is bad? The reason the people on reddit have way more food sensitivities after going on AIP is that the gut microbiome changes. The gut microbiome also changes on a Ray Peat diet... and not in a way that promotes resilience. How many of you here can say I can eat freely even if it is only once or 2x a month and not have negative consequences? How many of you actually adhere 100% to the diet? Never straying, never cheating? Maybe this is where Ray is coming from when he recommends restrictive eating and a clean gut.... it does make sense in that regard, if you competently eliminate the diversity in a diet, the "good bacteria" that forms so that your gut can process a diverse diet have no need to exist.

The goal should be to heal leaky gut to prevent endotoxins.... have a healthy microbiome that CAN tolerate many many types of foods, not saying you will eat starches everyday or something like that.... but that it can tolerate it every so often, just enough to keep the biome diverse and resilient... I think completely restricting an entire food group like starches is taking steps backwards. Sure it can be irritating on the gut lining and that removing starches short term might be beneficial, at least until the gut lining is strengthened. But long term, our focus should be reintroducing as many foods as possible??? There is one issue that arises with this though- if you were to run into more health issues, the diversity would come to bite you in the butt. I think this was a reason Danny eats so restrictive. But I think this is wrong and that this can be solved by a very slooowwww reintroduction process. This includes supplements. Maintaining good health, as long as you are in tune with your body and biomarkers shouldn't be rocket science, it's the getting to the good state of health that is the hard part. If you ever fell off a cliff in terms of health, you should have a fall back protocol, a restrictive diet in terms of food and supplements, but the point is to not eat like that forever. The goal is to reintroduce, and build back up the resilience. Mother's natures gift to us is that we are adaptable and resilient, there is a yin and yang to everything though, as we are sadly adaptable and resilient for a reason :( haha.

Gut integrity like the mucosal wall and it's ability to prevent endotoxins from leaking into the blood is a major part, but the microbiome is also very important.... and a diverse microbiome at that. I understand the clean gut point of view Ray is coming from.... however you need a diversity of good bacteria after eliminating the bad bacteria.... Why isn't there a greater emphasis on this in Ray Peat's works? He just glances over the microbiome and gut bacteria diversity, where as I think it is one of the pillars of good health... trying to understand why.

If you do reach a good state of health, as long as you eat right and live right, regression isn't the norm right?

Last edited:

mostlylurking

Why does he recommend things like eliminating starches if digestion is bad?
Refined starches break down into pure glucose and get absorbed into the blood stream in about 10 minutes. The pure glucose whammy is really stressful on the body because it triggers a big dose of insulin from the pancreas to deal with it. This is a lot more stressful on the body than eating plain white table sugar because the table sugar (sucrose) is half glucose and half fructose. Fructose does not trigger insulin release. And no, I'm not advocating chowing down on table sugar.

Complex carbohydrates (like grains, sweet potatoes, etc.) include a lot of non digestible fiber that does not feed you. Instead it sits in the gut and feeds the bacteria.

Gut integrity like the mucosal wall and it's ability to prevent endotoxins from leaking into the blood is a major part, but the microbiome is also very important.... and a diverse microbiome at that. I understand the clean gut point of view Ray is coming from.... however you need a diversity of good bacteria after eliminating the bad bacteria.... Why isn't there a greater emphasis on this in Ray Peat's works? He just glances over the microbiome and gut bacteria diversity, where as I think it is one of the pillars of good health... trying to understand why.
I think that gut integrity is paramount. If you have leaky gut you are in big big trouble. I've been there and done that. One of my doctors, years ago, put some of my blood under a dark field microscope. So we're sitting there, watching the red blood cells floating along on a TV monitor and along comes this giant glob of I didn't know what. And the doctor said to me, "Do you know what that is? That's poop." Not a good situation.

I managed to get well by healing my gut with high dose thiamine and magnesium glycinate. Ray Peat advised me to use thiamine and magnesium to heal my gut; I just wound up needing a higher dose of thiamine hcl than Peat recommended because my heavy metal toxin load required it. I am no longer almost universally reactive to foods and I have broadened my diet quite a lot. I still avoid pufa like the plague and I don't go overboard on the nightshade vegetables. I don't eat many complex carbohydrates except for white potatoes. Potatoes are nightshade so I don't ever eat the peel. I still consume a lot of dairy, gelatin, eggs, orange juice, liver, shrimp and oysters. Too much chocolate messes me up so I don't binge on chocolate. I avoid coffee and black tea. I can eat a little organic wheat on rare occasions without negative effects.

There is no such thing as a "selective" antibiotic that kills the "bad" bacteria and doesn't kill the "good" bacteria. I've found that if I focus on keeping the gut wall in good shape, the bacteria can work things out all by themselves.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals