How to solve - Calories limited by allergies to food

DannyIrons™

I’m finding it very difficult to eat enough calories on this diet due to intolerances/allergies to dairy, orange juice, dried fruits and issues with starches.

I understand that one should eat calories to boost metabolism and improve thyroid health. But how would one do this without being able to eat this Peaty staple foods?

One option is to eat high amounts of white sugar, or even consuming all these allergenic foods in the hope that after a while improved metabolism may reduce allergic symptoms.. I’m not sure. Any ideas?

I’m finding it very difficult to eat enough calories on this diet due to intolerances/allergies to dairy, orange juice, dried fruits and issues with starches.

I understand that one should eat calories to boost metabolism and improve thyroid health. But how would one do this without being able to eat this Peaty staple foods?

One option is to eat high amounts of white sugar, or even consuming all these allergenic foods in the hope that after a while improved metabolism may reduce allergic symptoms.. I’m not sure. Any ideas?
I am the right girl to answer your question DannyIrons! I came into this Ray Peat diet having histamine intolerance. Let me assure this is the diet for you if you have allergies and histamine issues. No I did not DRINK orange juice or milk until the 4th year. Ray Peats says sugar, salt and caffeine are natural antihistamines and it is true. I haven't had to take antihistamines since the first year of Peating having those three things in abundance. To do this just focus on the riddance of PUFA's the first year, and get your hands on that Mexican Coke! I ate a lot of Haagen Daz COFFEE ice cream in that first year, just a half cup in the middle of the day and/or at bedtime. Vitamin C is really the tough one and I am still working on it with frozen fresh fruit. I make custard with just egg yolks (no whites) almost daily. Do not even try to do all of the liquids on this new way of eating, that is terrible on histamine issues. Don't get discouraged that you cant be perfectly "Peaty" cause there is still so much to gain without all of the gallons of milk and orange juice. Feel free to pick my brain on the subject cause I feel for you and your starting position. Let the healing begin ?

OP
DannyIrons™

DannyIrons™

I am the right girl to answer your question DannyIrons! I came into this Ray Peat diet having histamine intolerance. Let me assure this is the diet for you if you have allergies and histamine issues. No I did not DRINK orange juice or milk until the 4th year. Ray Peats says sugar, salt and caffeine are natural antihistamines and it is true. I haven't had to take antihistamines since the first year of Peating having those three things in abundance. To do this just focus on the riddance of PUFA's the first year, and get your hands on that Mexican Coke! I ate a lot of Haagen Daz COFFEE ice cream in that first year, just a half cup in the middle of the day and/or at bedtime. Vitamin C is really the tough one and I am still working on it with frozen fresh fruit. I make custard with just egg yolks (no whites) almost daily. Do not even try to do all of the liquids on this new way of eating, that is terrible on histamine issues. Don't get discouraged that you cant be perfectly "Peaty" cause there is still so much to gain without all of the gallons of milk and orange juice. Feel free to pick my brain on the subject cause I feel for you and your starting position. Let the healing begin ?
Thanks for your reply, very informative!
it’s a pain because I adore milk, I could drink loads of it but I need to keep it at arms length for the time being. As well it’s tough getting hands on ripe fruit too.
The last few days I’ve been itchy all over my body which isn’t a typical histamine symptom for me and I think it’s probably due to all the raw honey I’ve eaten, trying to knock back those calories, as I’m still under eating. I’m going to try and experiment with normal white sugar. How much sugar did you eat? Also did you get problems with gelatin and histamine?
Trying to avoid histamine reactions makes my head spin!

Thanks for your reply, very informative!
it’s a pain because I adore milk, I could drink loads of it but I need to keep it at arms length for the time being. As well it’s tough getting hands on ripe fruit too.
The last few days I’ve been itchy all over my body which isn’t a typical histamine symptom for me and I think it’s probably due to all the raw honey I’ve eaten, trying to knock back those calories, as I’m still under eating. I’m going to try and experiment with normal white sugar. How much sugar did you eat? Also did you get problems with gelatin and histamine?
Trying to avoid histamine reactions makes my head spin!
Yeah I haven't added honey until the last 3 months and acacia is the safest. I only did white sugar and Mexican Coke my first couple of years. The powdered gelatin still is not good for me so I just make my own, only cooking the beef for 4 to 5 hours. I love it cold with salt. Now that i am adding "some" fruit i find frozen to be the freshest. I still add white sugar to fruit to keep histamines at bay. Put sugar and salt with everything until you empty your internal histamine "bucket". Here is my gelatin.

Attachments

• 20210217_162414.jpg
    20210217_162414.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 24
OP
DannyIrons™

DannyIrons™

Yeah I haven't added honey until the last 3 months and acacia is the safest. I only did white sugar and Mexican Coke my first couple of years. The powdered gelatin still is not good for me so I just make my own, only cooking the beef for 4 to 5 hours. I love it cold with salt. Now that i am adding "some" fruit i find frozen to be the freshest. I still add white sugar to fruit to keep histamines at bay. Put sugar and salt with everything until you empty your internal histamine "bucket". Here is my gelatin.
That looks great.
I love eating the gelatin cold with some salt as a starter, but I think it’s making my joints ‘crack/pop’ :( one of my histamine symptoms.
Thanks for the sugar tip! How much sugar do you usually eat? I know a lot of people on here aren’t fond of a lot of white sugar as a main carb source, but it’s a difficult not to with histamine issues I think. I’ve never had issues with sugar or coke, but have with fruits/honey etc.

That looks great.
I love eating the gelatin cold with some salt as a starter, but I think it’s making my joints ‘crack/pop’ :( one of my histamine symptoms.
Thanks for the sugar tip! How much sugar do you usually eat? I know a lot of people on here aren’t fond of a lot of white sugar as a main carb source, but it’s a difficult not to with histamine issues I think. I’ve never had issues with sugar or coke, but have with fruits/honey etc.
The reason you are having histamine issues with store bought gelatin is because they are long cooked, sometime more than 24 hours worth. Ray talkes about that and say to keep the cooking of them to about 3 hours, which works great for chicken broth, but I need an extra hour or two on beef gelatin to get it that thick and bouncy. Until you lower your histamine load be generous with your sugar, meaning don't feel guilty to make it taste good. I put a lot of sugar on my frozen fruit and in smoothies. It really isn't the sugar that will put weigh on you fast, it is the fats in ice cream and dairy. The point with you and I isn't about being perfect doing this, but making it work. Eventually you will get to where I am and be eating more honey, milk and oranges. Oranges I have found go down very easy by juicing fresh ones, then straining out the pulp and mixing it with equal parts water and adding in white sugar and a good pinch of salt, like a homemade Gatorade. Give it a try. Unfortunately for us we live under the umbrella of "what heals you kills you", so start slow. You will get to otherside of it before you know it. Don't hesitate to ask tons of questions, and there are no stupid ones :)

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
Thanks for this great explanation of how to start adding all of the beneficial dietary things without supplements. People should take note of this. I know I jumped in with too much milk and OJ which meant too much fluid.

I worry about frozen fruit having bacterial contaminates, though. @ecstatichamster has some good threads on baking frozen fruit.

AndrogenicJB

The reason you are having histamine issues with store bought gelatin is because they are long cooked, sometime more than 24 hours worth. Ray talkes about that and say to keep the cooking of them to about 3 hours, which works great for chicken broth, but I need an extra hour or two on beef gelatin to get it that thick and bouncy. Until you lower your histamine load be generous with your sugar, meaning don't feel guilty to make it taste good. I put a lot of sugar on my frozen fruit and in smoothies. It really isn't the sugar that will put weigh on you fast, it is the fats in ice cream and dairy. The point with you and I isn't about being perfect doing this, but making it work. Eventually you will get to where I am and be eating more honey, milk and oranges. Oranges I have found go down very easy by juicing fresh ones, then straining out the pulp and mixing it with equal parts water and adding in white sugar and a good pinch of salt, like a homemade Gatorade. Give it a try. Unfortunately for us we live under the umbrella of "what heals you kills you", so start slow. You will get to otherside of it before you know it. Don't hesitate to ask tons of questions, and there are no stupid ones :)
How have your teeth been with all the sugar consumption

Thanks for this great explanation of how to start adding all of the beneficial dietary things without supplements. People should take note of this. I know I jumped in with too much milk and OJ which meant too much fluid.

I worry about frozen fruit having bacterial contaminates, though. @ecstatichamster has some good threads on baking frozen fruit.
I don't use suppliments either until the past couple of months, adding in vitamin k, niacinimide and Progest-E. I am happy to finally get try them after 5 years! If you buy organic frozen fruit you wont have any contaminants. I really have only used frozen pineapple, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. So far so good with those. The blueberries and raspberries I put in my coffee press, add flouride free water, muddle gently and let it sit for a couple of hours, then press it and put in as much sugar as I like before drinking it, so SO good! I have applied myself to The Blood Type Diet, Paleo, Keto and nothing has been good for my histamine intolerance until Ray Peat's sugar, salt and caffeine. This is the only way to eat Dolomite, if you have histamine or allergy issues.

How have your teeth been with all the sugar consumption
Perfect! I have only had two minute cavities in my lifetime from being a big dairy drinker. The only time I felt my teeth suffer was when I took dairy out going on the blood type diet. Adding in all the sugar 5 years ago was a bit scary, but knowing sugar doesn't cause cavities, but rather grains and lack of calcium does, I haven't any cavities. I developed sensitive teeth in my 20's, and had to use Sensodyn for 30+ years, but it seems the sensitivity has gone away with the Ray Peat stuff, I even ditched the toothpaste. They only get sensetive with straight orange juice or too much Coke, but a swish of coconut oil for 10 minutes cures the problem.

Another thing that helped me get through those first years is stinging nettle. It is a great natural anti-histamine. I don't use it anymore because I don't have any issues to need it.

MidBicep

High fat Greek yogurt (10%) digests much better for me than any milk (and most people really) and along with sugar it becomes pretty calorically dense. I eat potatoes since I don't have access to sweet oranges and any sour fruit ruins my digestion. Also good cheese without any vegetable rennets should be good OP.
I'd say not to eat big amounts of sugar unless you've covered your micronutrients needs, otherwise it can lead to deficiencies.

High fat Greek yogurt (10%) digests much better for me than any milk (and most people really) and along with sugar it becomes pretty calorically dense. I eat potatoes since I don't have access to sweet oranges and any sour fruit ruins my digestion. Also good cheese without any vegetable rennets should be good OP.
I'd say not to eat big amounts of sugar unless you've covered your micronutrients needs, otherwise it can lead to deficiencies.
He has histamine issues so sugar good yogurt bad.

Yogurt isn't even a Ray Peat food because of it's lactic acid, and as he says questionable cultures.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I don't use suppliments either until the past couple of months, adding in vitamin k, niacinimide and Progest-E. I am happy to finally get try them after 5 years! If you buy organic frozen fruit you wont have any contaminants. I really have only used frozen pineapple, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. So far so good with those. The blueberries and raspberries I put in my coffee press, add flouride free water, muddle gently and let it sit for a couple of hours, then press it and put in as much sugar as I like before drinking it, so SO good! I have applied myself to The Blood Type Diet, Paleo, Keto and nothing has been good for my histamine intolerance until Ray Peat's sugar, salt and caffeine. This is the only way to eat Dolomite, if you have histamine or allergy issues.
I will look for the organic frozen fruit. Your juice method sounds good without the seeds.

"Histamine is an organic nitrogenous compound involved in local immune ... everything becomes an allergen if the glucose is chronically low.-Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals