How much liquids do you drink a day? Could some of my symptoms be due to dehydration???

dervmai

progress
I actually realized I may not be hydrating myself properly. I read somewhere that Ray doesn't recommend drinking a lot of water, but I realized he still drinks a good amount of liquids via OJ and milk.

I was drinking only about 3 cups of milk per day +maybe a bottle of water or 2. This equates to only about 1600 grams of liquids. I did a quick search on this forum and people were drinking 3000 grams+ of liquids. More than double my daily intake. Could I be not drinking enough liquids to stay hydrated? I would also like to mention I have mild hyperhidrosis, which means I sweat more than the normal human, meaning I probably need even more water than what is normal.

I also noticed my sinuses were dry, but full of mucous, and dehydration can cause dry sinuses which leads to infection which leads to a bunch of other problems.

Jennifer

I actually realized I may not be hydrating myself properly. I read somewhere that Ray doesn't recommend drinking a lot of water, but I realized he still drinks a good amount of liquids via OJ and milk.

I was drinking only about 3 cups of milk per day +maybe a bottle of water or 2. This equates to only about 1600 grams of liquids. I did a quick search on this forum and people were drinking 3000 grams+ of liquids. More than double my daily intake. Could I be not drinking enough liquids to stay hydrated? I would also like to mention I have mild hyperhidrosis, which means I sweat more than the normal human, meaning I probably need even more water than what is normal.

I also noticed my sinuses were dry, but full of mucous, and dehydration can cause dry sinuses which leads to infection which leads to a bunch of other problems.

Yes, going by what Ray shared in interviews, he seemed to drink a fair amount of liquid that was “osmotically balanced” as he called it. I drink 3 L total—2 L of goat’s milk and 1 L of mostly hot honey water and some fruit juice. I would think thirst is our best guide and in cases of hyperhidrosis, having fluids rich in electrolytes may be especially important, not just for replenishing what was lost, but lowering stress hormones such as adrenaline, which I suspect may be elevated with the condition.

naevastar

Second this. Honestly I think I drink even less than you and have been for years without realizing. Ever since I learnt about Ray Peat (start of 2015) I stopped drinking water. At first I was having sparkling water from glass bottles but then since 2017 not even that.

I drink one cup of coffe daily (with milk and sugar), then I might have 300 mL milk plus either a 250 ml red bull or orange juice or ginger tea or this chocolate milk we have here in Norway that has 20g protein in a serve.
Not much at all.. and I only realized this recently cos I did a lab course at uni where we collected our urine for 24 hours to measure sodium and other electrolytes. I had a lot less pee than the other students lol

StephanF

Forum Supporter
It may depend on what you drink. I drink mostly reverse osmosis water, it acts as a solvent and may carry more salts out through urination than water that has a lot of minerals. On the other hand, if you drink a lot of RO water, you may end up demineralising yourself. Just my thoughts…

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals