milk_lover

CoolTweetPete said:
post 112658
milk_lover said:
post 112641
CoolTweetPete said:
post 112637 but I will add Theanine.
Is it supposed to work like taurine?

Theanine is very relaxing, it's a GABA agonist if i'm not mistaken.

I think people on here use it to avoid a stress response when using high dose caffeine. I think I had a slight stress response with 1.4g of caffeine yesterday so I'm thinking I should use it if I plan on going higher today.
Good to know, thanks CoolTweetPete :thumbleft I will probably try it one day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ulla

:D
that was some experiment!
I prefer drinking coffee for caffeine but just in case I bought two small cans of "red bull" last time. The vitamin content made me do it :oops: And no aspartame.

CoolTweetPete I hope you find a nice way to get enough caffeine ;)

Peata

CoolTweetPete said:
post 112677
Peata said:
post 112665 Theanine is great to take with caffeine, and Cyproheptadine is another great thing to stop the stress response.

Do you know where I can purchase cypro? The sites I buy thyroid from do not carry it.

Sorry, I don't know, as I've always bought mine through a dr's Rx.

Last edited by a moderator:

NathanK

If you take caffeine to the point of a stress response then it will increase FFA. There was a study I posted where it actually lowered insulin sensitivity when taken in excess. Best to go slow and ratchet up

lindsay

This is a very interesting thread! I have started drinking stronger coffee with what I assume is much higher caffeine contents. I am lucky that I feel very little stress response when I drink espresso or coffee - even on an empty stomach it doesn't bother me, but I usually try to eat a yogurt or some protein with it, along with plenty of cream and sugar, or a homemade sugar syrup with salt in it.

Lately I've been making cold brew and experimenting with brew times. The longer brew definitely results in a more potent and beautiful flavored coffee. I LOVE coffee and could drink it all day - but I've been wondering about how much caffeine I should or should not be drinking, especially since I just bought the "Death by Coffee" brand. Wow that stuff is strong, but delicious. I have some cold-brewing now.

I don't know that I will ever push more than a gram, but it's good to see people here that do and find benefits with it. I may even drink it more once I order some L-theanine.

Anyhow, I've never understood coffee addicts until the past year..... it's such a beautiful substance. Very soothing and energizing.

Has anyone on here had troubles drinking caffeine past a certain hour of the day? I tend to have a delayed reaction from caffeine - usually feel a bit sleepy at first after drinking it, and then energized a couple hours later..... Thank you!

When I go over 500mg I get a stuffed nose... no matter how much I eat...

lindsay

When I go over 500mg I get a stuffed nose... no matter how much I eat...

That's interesting. It seems to help my nose clear out (and my ears). Like taking Sudafed. Maybe it's a reaction to the brand of coffee?

That's interesting. It seems to help my nose clear out (and my ears). Like taking Sudafed. Maybe it's a reaction to the brand of coffee?

Well it's powdered caffeine...

thegiantess

I was just going to make a new thread pertaining to how much caffeine is too much and low and behold! Like other posters have mentioned I can drink coffee all day. I have an intense love affair with coffee. I estimate I get about 1000mg a day. However I am constantly seeing crap on my social media feeds of acquaintances quitting coffee and people praising this endeavor. It makes me wonder, why? Why do people think caffeine is so bad? Also, has anyone quit coffee for awhile and had a bad reaction?

keith

Also, has anyone quit coffee for awhile and had a bad reaction?

I get really bad (debilitating) headaches if I go without caffeine; I've been a coffee drinker for many years, although I actually take more caffeine in pure form now, just for convenience. I still love me a good cup of coffee. I have quit for a while before, for the purported health benefits, and the headaches usually subsided after 2 or 3 days, but nothing besides caffeine would touch them when I had them. I just enjoy it now, without the guilt I used to feel.

Thinking back, at the healthiest point in my life, I worked at a café, and drank 16 oz coffees with double shots of espresso all day long at work. I drank it black then, which I cant manage now, but probably drank the equivalent of 12 or more 6 oz cups of coffee every day. Maybe if I had kept that up, I would be in better shape now.

schultz

I was just going to make a new thread pertaining to how much caffeine is too much and low and behold! Like other posters have mentioned I can drink coffee all day. I have an intense love affair with coffee. I estimate I get about 1000mg a day. However I am constantly seeing crap on my social media feeds of acquaintances quitting coffee and people praising this endeavor. It makes me wonder, why? Why do people think caffeine is so bad? Also, has anyone quit coffee for awhile and had a bad reaction?

I know right?! People treat coffee like its cigarettes or something. It tastes good, makes you feel good, and it's healthy. What's not to love? I get around 1500mg of caffeine from coffee a day. If I go too high, like 2000-3000mg, I get either nauseous, a headache or sleepy. I'm not sure it's so great to go passed 2000mg or so for myself.

stargazer1111

I did the Red Bull experiment before and it was not so good. Red Bull has a lot of bad stuff inside, just be careful.

I don't think so, at least not the original formula.

I'm drinking a can right now and the ingredients are:

Carbonated water
Sugar
Glucose
Citric acid
Taurine
Natural and Artificial Flavors
Baking soda
Magnesium carbonate
Colors
Caffeine
Niacinamide
Vitamin B6
Calcium Pantothenate
Vitamin B12

The flavors and colors may not be so good, but I have an extremely sensitive digestive system and react to practically everything. I never react to red bull. Just my anecdote, though.

milk_lover

I don't think so, at least not the original formula.

I'm drinking a can right now and the ingredients are:

Carbonated water
Sugar
Glucose
Citric acid
Taurine
Natural and Artificial Flavors
Baking soda
Magnesium carbonate
Colors
Caffeine
Niacinamide
Vitamin B6
Calcium Pantothenate
Vitamin B12

The flavors and colors may not be so good, but I have an extremely sensitive digestive system and react to practically everything. I never react to red bull. Just my anecdote, though.
I wrote this long time ago. I am the biggest Red Bull fan right now. I drink a minimum of two cans a day at least.

stargazer1111

I wrote this long time ago. I am the biggest Red Bull fan right now. I drink a minimum of two cans a day at least.

Understood. Wasn't trying to hold you to such an old post. Many of my prior posts are essentially obsolete now. They are essentially a blog of my evolution in nutrition lol.

The thing about caffeine/red bull is I HAVE to have copious amounts of sugar with it or the caffeine will make me sick.

Uselis

Impressive! I recently tried Red Bull and actually fall in love with taste. Then I discovered it is high in B3 and for myself who're not a meat eater that looked almost too good to be true.

Are you concerned with artificial flavours and colours? Otherwise it seems close to a perfect drink ☺

milk_lover

Impressive! I recently tried Red Bull and actually fall in love with taste. Then I discovered it is high in B3 and for myself who're not a meat eater that looked almost too good to be true.

Are you concerned with artificial flavours and colours? Otherwise it seems close to a perfect drink ☺
It would be more ideal without the flavors but it is those flavors that make us fall in love with this drink. Maybe I am more concerned about too much B12 but i doubt it’s that serious.

milk_lover

Understood. Wasn't trying to hold you to such an old post. Many of my prior posts are essentially obsolete now. They are essentially a blog of my evolution in nutrition lol.

The thing about caffeine/red bull is I HAVE to have copious amounts of sugar with it or the caffeine will make me sick.
Maybe if you add sugar liquid to your Red Bull, it would suit you better.

stargazer1111

Maybe if you add sugar liquid to your Red Bull, it would suit you better.

Yeah. I've experimented with combining grape juice and red bull since grape juice has one of the higher sugar contents of the fruit juices. Makes me feel great.

I feel even better if I have some protein with it.

Caffeine alone = worst (jittery, racing heart, nausea)
Caffeine + sugar = pretty good (sustained energy, no anxiety, not jittery, heart rate stays normal)
Caffeine + sugar + protein = best (feels like my thyroid kicks into high gear with this and my brain works so much better)

YourUniverse

I went past 2g of caffeine today. The last few hours feel like a blur. I wonder if this is what micro dosed LSD would feel like? Ray did say on his most recent podcast that coffee would basically mimic that effect. I have a bit of a stomach and head ache, but that may just require some adaptation

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals