High Dose Of Caffeine-sluggish, Constipation, Weakness, Exhaustion

answersfound

I've been experimenting with higher doses of caffeine over the past month and I now can tolerate about 400 mg in a sitting and 1000 mg per day. But I've been getting really weird, concerning symptoms. I do not know if this is connected to the caffeine use, but I feel extremely sluggish, exhausted, constipated, flat mood, and just weak. Absolutely nothing has resolved the constipation. I'm pretty concerned and don't understand why I'm getting these symptoms all of the sudden. It feels like there is glue in my bloodstream or something. I can't attribute this to anything else I'm doing. Caffeine does not give me a stress response at all.

J

James IV

Hydration? Have you tried drinking more water, or salt water?

DrJ

Do you check your temp during all this? There's a lot of information in that...

sweetpeat

answersfound said:
I've been experimenting with higher doses of caffeine over the past month and I now can tolerate about 400 mg in a sitting and 1000 mg per day. But I've been getting really weird, concerning symptoms. I do not know if this is connected to the caffeine use, but I feel extremely sluggish, exhausted, constipated, flat mood, and just weak. Absolutely nothing has resolved the constipation. I'm pretty concerned and don't understand why I'm getting these symptoms all of the sudden. It feels like there is glue in my bloodstream or something. I can't attribute this to anything else I'm doing. Caffeine does not give me a stress response at all.

Maybe the caffeine is increasing progesterone (reference) which can antagonize serotonin and cause constipation (reference)?

DaveFoster

This sounds like when I first started caffeine, and I think it can parlty attributed to the liver. Also, your adenosine receptors take five days to reset after caffeine cessation, so I would expect at least that time to adapt to caffeine from a neurological perspective; likely much longer in regards to physiology.

Cyproheptadine allows one to eat more, and it more than compensates for the appetite-suppressing effects of caffeine, so this may be helpful. Definitely try consuming more liquids, especially if your stools are mud-like in consistency, rather than well-formed structures.

tara

Even on much much smaller amounts of coffee/caffeine I seem to always feel good at first but then sink after a few days.

OP
A

answersfound

sweetpeat said:
post 110329
answersfound said:

Maybe the caffeine is increasing progesterone (reference) which can antagonize serotonin and cause constipation (reference)?

Yes, that is actually exactly what I was thinking. I was taking Vitamin E, which I know has progesterone like effects, which I have stopped for 3-4 days and I also took 70 mg pregnenolone 3-4 days ago which, I believe converts to progesterone. I know haidut has said 100mg+ pregnenolone can cause constipation.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
A

answersfound

James IV said:
post 110322 Hydration? Have you tried drinking more water, or salt water?

Yes, I've had plenty of water, which is something I normally don't do, but I've been craving it, so I've been drinking.

Thanks.

OP
A

answersfound

DaveFoster said:
post 110337 This sounds like when I first started caffeine, and I think it can parlty attributed to the liver. Also, your adenosine receptors take five days to reset after caffeine cessation, so I would expect at least that time to adapt to caffeine from a neurological perspective; likely much longer in regards to physiology.

Cyproheptadine allows one to eat more, and it more than compensates for the appetite-suppressing effects of caffeine, so this may be helpful. Definitely try consuming more liquids, especially if your stools are mud-like in consistency, rather than well-formed structures.

Alright, thank you very much.

OP
A

answersfound

DrJ said:
post 110326 Do you check your temp during all this? There's a lot of information in that...

Yes, surpassingly, temps and circulation isn't too bad. Probably around high 97's, despite the limited food intake. Pulse is in the 80's.

OP
A

answersfound

Still constipated. I've never experienced anything like this. My digestive system has just shut down. Everything is just sitting my stomach, moving EXTREMELY slow. I've tried carrots, magnesium, thyroid, aspirin, prunes, grape juice, cascara. Temps are high 97's, pulse is 82 bpm.

J

James IV

You getting plenty of light, and movement?
Maybe try an over feeding day? Burgers, pizza, fries, cookies, and milkshakes all day until you can't move. That usually gets things moving the next day.

OP
A

answersfound

James IV said:
You getting plenty of light, and movement?
Maybe try an over feeding day? Burgers, pizza, fries, cookies, and milkshakes all day until you can't move. That usually gets things moving the next day.

Thank you.

I am going to try that. I also went to a doctor and she has me drinking a bottle of magnesium citrate and taking miralax. If that doesn't work, I will have to get a CT scan. I dont't know what the heck happened. I've never had constipation like this. It feels like something is just sitting in my stomach, blocking everything. Also, my blood pressure was high.

sladerunner69

James IV said:
post 110506 You getting plenty of light, and movement?

That sounds like a terrible idea tbh

OP
A

answersfound

The magnesium citrate has been flushing me out like crazy. But the block is still there. I'm going to try mega dosing Cyproheptadine until it goes away. Let's put this wonder drug to the test in a tough situation. Starting with 4 mg and will take another dose in 6-8 hours if I don't get relief.

aguilaroja

answersfound said:
[...But the block is still there. I'm going to try mega dosing Cyproheptadine until it goes away. Let's put this wonder drug to the test in a tough situation. Starting with 4 mg and will take another dose in 6-8 hours if I don't get relief.

First, if the reported "sluggish, exhausted, constipated, flat mood, and just weak" symptoms seem related in timing to increasing amounts of caffeine, please give thought to tapering down or off the caffeine promptly. (It's not clear from the posts if this is being done.)

The first thing is to feel well. Once the issues are solved, and if maneuvers of caffeine are of interest, more exploration of other supporting factors could be done.

Second, cyproheptadine is NOT a good first choice for relieving constipation. It has known anti-cholinergic effects (in addition to serotonin lowering effects). Constipation is one known anti-cholinergic effect of cyproheptadine. Large cyproheptadine amounts could aggravate the problem.

OP
A

answersfound

aguilaroja said:
answersfound said:
[...But the block is still there. I'm going to try mega dosing Cyproheptadine until it goes away. Let's put this wonder drug to the test in a tough situation. Starting with 4 mg and will take another dose in 6-8 hours if I don't get relief.

First, if the reported "sluggish, exhausted, constipated, flat mood, and just weak" symptoms seem related in timing to increasing amounts of caffeine, please give thought to tapering down or off the caffeine promptly. (It's not clear from the posts if this is being done.)

The first thing is to feel well. Once the issues are solved, and if maneuvers of caffeine are of interest, more exploration of other supporting factors could be done.

Second, cyproheptadine is NOT a good first choice for relieving constipation. It has known anti-cholinergic effects (in addition to serotonin lowering effects). Constipation is one known anti-cholinergic effect of cyproheptadine. Large cyproheptadine amounts could aggravate the problem.

Okay. I read that cypro doesn't cause constipation unless you take like 16 mg a day. I thought since it stimulates metabolism it could be a good idea. I've been taking cypro for a while and it never gave me constipation. I haven't touched caffeine for days. I have been taking laxatives like miralax and magnesium citrate all day and water is just coming out. Nothing else. I don't know what else to do? I think there is some intestinal blockage going on. Should I try a stool softener? More carrots?

FredSonoma

answersfound said:
post 110570
aguilaroja said:
answersfound said:

Okay. I read that cypro doesn't cause constipation unless you take like 16 mg a day. I thought since it stimulates metabolism it could be a good idea. I've been taking cypro for a while and it never gave me constipation. I haven't touched caffeine for days. I have been taking laxatives like miralax and magnesium citrate all day and water is just coming out. Nothing else. I don't know what else to do? I think there is some intestinal blockage going on. Should I try a stool softener? More carrots?

I have no idea if my idea about serotonin is right... but I wonder if blocking serotonin blocks an important function of serotonin, which is helping to empty out the bowels. I definitely felt more "backed up" and "clogged up" when I was taking cypro. I love how low serotonin feels... but I think I have high serotonin because something else is fked up in my body, and the serotonin is to try to fix that or something.

aguilaroja

answersfound said:
I've been taking cypro for a while and it never gave me constipation. I haven't touched caffeine for days. I have been taking laxatives like miralax and magnesium citrate all day and water is just coming out. Nothing else. I don't know what else to do? I think there is some intestinal blockage going on. Should I try a stool softener? More carrots?

Short summary:
If you are able to eliminate water and gas out of the bowel, eat and drink a bit, and aren't painful and quite swollen in the belly, Miralax or mag citrate may work after a bit more time. If things feel stuck near the bottom, a rectal laxative suppository may work more quickly.

Warmth and red light can provide useful metabolic support, and may need less nuance than other supports for individual situations. If you can comfortably nibble a bit, grated raw carrot or bamboo shoots may be helpful.

aguilaroja

answersfound said:
I read that cypro doesn't cause constipation unless you take like 16 mg a day. I thought since it stimulates metabolism it could be a good idea.... I haven't touched caffeine for days. I have been taking laxatives like miralax and magnesium citrate all day and water is just coming out. Nothing else. I don't know what else to do? I think there is some intestinal blockage going on. Should I try a stool softener? More carrots?

I am going to comment primarily on the constipation difficulty, though the post topic mentions other things. Excuse the explicit poop-y description.

I do not know the timeline of things and do not know all of the factors. It is not possible remotely to tell the difference between an intestinal obstruction (in the medical definition sense) and less threatening constipation. (I am not trying to cause a scare, just caution that if things are severe that it is better to get prompt medical attention and sort out the metabolic factors later. Things like severe abdominal pain, inability to pass gas, considerable swelling of the abdomen, and vomiting suggest getting swift medical attention.)

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20027567

Constipation can be very problematic. I have experienced miserable constipation while traveling, out of reach of Peat-y supplies or drugstore remedies.

It's possible that the mag citrate or Miralax will work after a while, even though just water has come out so far. If you've tried mainly one, you might switch to the other. How long has it been since poop rather than water passed? Some regular nurse/doctor practitioners give these laxatives two or three days plus to work before moving to other measures. Of course, use water and nourishment to replace losses from elimination.

Some people have a sense of where along the intestinal tract the compact stool is. If things are stuck near the last part, the rectum, rectal laxative suppositories may empty things out more quickly.

I think some medical practitioners start stool softeners once things get unstuck. Stool softeners (Docusate/Dulcolax is a "soapy" one) are less favored in the research literature because of low evidence of effectiveness.

Cascara sagrada and Senna are both called "stimulant laxatives" though senna is often regarded also as a stool softener. You can read about Cascara and the function of emodin here on the forum. It might be better to wait on experimenting with Cascara until things are more unstuck. Senna also has emodin, but I do not recall Dr. Peat discussing Senna specifically.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ca ... buse.shtml

Two rapid ways to support metabolism are by adjusting ambient temperature and red spectrum light. Warm clothing, warm room, or warm baths may help. Infrared/incandescent/red light may provide both light and warmth.

http://www.med.unc.edu/ibs/files/educat ... Treatments for Constipation.pdf

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ca ... buse.shtml

http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/0 ... aw-carrot/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK259244/
"There remains a paucity of good quality evidence to support the use of docusate for the prevention or management of constipation in hospitalized patients or long-term care residents. Docusate appears to be no more effective than placebo for increasing stool frequency or softening stool consistency."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals