How Much Caffeine Is Too Much

barefooter

Up until recently I could barely tolerate a small coffee, but now that I'm starting to get my health back, I've been steadily upping my caffeine intake over the past couple weeks, and it's working really well for me. Mostly it just feels like good calm energy, without stress response, except for a few times when I've over done it. I'm up to about 700mg a day between caffeine powder and drip coffee, which is making me start to wonder how high I should go, and when I know enough is enough. I know other members here have reported drinking in excess of 1.5G a day, but that just seems like a ton of caffeine, and I'm curious if there are potentially things to worry about with taking more. The reason I want to keep upping my dose is to improve liver function, and bring my temp and pulse up to the recommended levels, where I notice I feel the best.

Tarmander

From what I've read of Haiduts posts, the most stressful part of caffeine intake is in the first couple weeks, which is sounds like your through. I probably wouldn't go above 2g per day, but 1200-1500mg is definitely doable.

CoolTweetPete

Tarmander said:
post 112524 From what I've read of Haiduts posts, the most stressful part of caffeine intake is in the first couple weeks, which is sounds like your through. I probably wouldn't go above 2g per day, but 1200-1500mg is definitely doable.

Do you guys use caffeine powder or does anyone routinely reach these levels with coffee? Today is my first time going over 1g using coffee, and I expected a stress response as I've had in the past with high dose caffeine but I'm handling it well.

Don't know if there are any contraindications to getting that much caffeine with coffee every day.

Last edited by a moderator:

superhuman

DaveFoster said:
10 grams is likely "too much." 2 grams per day uncouples mitochondria, and this is where most of the benefits will come from. 5 grams possesses very strong anti-estrogenic effects.

2 grams a day and 5 grams a day. Jeeezus. How much do you do a day? do you this numbers you posted ? if so how did you work your way up to that amount and what benefits have it given you.
Also what frequency do you take it and amount to get up to that total amount

tara

I think the LD50 is in the order of 10g, depending on size. That means a lot of people would be dead before they got that high.
People with damaged liver may reach hazardous levels much lower.
I consider 5g to be reckless for anyone, and 2g maybe getting a bit high for people with a compromised liver?
Increasing slowly and paying attention to your own reactions is probably a good idea.

DaveFoster

CoolTweetPete said:
Do you guys use caffeine powder or does anyone routinely reach these levels with coffee?
Yes.

superhuman said:
How much do you do a day? do you this numbers you posted ? if so how did you work your way up to that amount and what benefits have it given you.
Also what frequency do you take it and amount to get up to that total amount
I just did 3.6 grams. It took me about a month to work up to that amount from around 800 mg per day.

Benefits from high caffeine:
- Mitochondrial uncoupling; enhanced CO2 production that protects against degenerative disease; weight loss
- Increased focus, concentration, assertiveness, and ability to work under stress
- Ability to work well while sleep deprived
- Increased power output in the gym; increased endurance
- Slightly clearer vision due to lowered serotonin

Downsides to high caffeine:
- Nausea if liver function is not adequate
- Scatter-brained if not consumed in 1:1 ratio with l-theanine
- Heart palpitations if dosage is ramped up too quickly without adequate food
- Sleep disturbances that lead to acute psychosis and sore joints
- Appetite suppression
- Increased cortisol if taken without food
- Intense sweating

tara said:
post 112597 I think the LD50 is in the order of 10g, depending on size. That means a lot of people would be dead before they got that high.
People with damaged liver may reach hazardous levels much lower.
I consider 5g to be reckless for anyone, and 2g maybe getting a bit high for people with a compromised liver?
Increasing slowly and paying attention to your own reactions is probably a good idea.
I could not tolerate 3.6 grams a month ago; I would get severe nausea even at a dose of 1200 mg. It takes time to adapt, but it's well worth it.

UPDATE: 3.6 grams made me throw up twice. I ramped up the dose too quickly and probably overshot the maximal dose by about 600 mg. My nausea when away about 2 hours after throwing up.

CoolTweetPete

milk_lover said:
post 112632 Why not just drink coffee man? Coffee is everywhere..

I did this yesterday. It is much more difficult to get 1-2 g of caffeine from coffee than I thought it would be. I think I made it to around 1400mg for the day, and it took

5 Starbucks Pike Place k-cups
2 Cafe Escapes mocha k-cups
1 Pepsi

I did recognize a clear improvement in my mood, but I had a bit of trouble falling asleep. Trying again today, but I will add Theanine.

milk_lover

CoolTweetPete said:
post 112637
milk_lover said:
post 112632 Why not just drink coffee man? Coffee is everywhere..

I did this yesterday. It is much more difficult to get 1-2 g of caffeine from coffee than I thought it would be. I think I made it to around 1400mg for the day, and it took

5 Starbucks Pike Place k-cups
2 Cafe Escapes mocha k-cups
1 Pepsi

I did recognize a clear improvement in my mood, but I had trouble falling asleep. Trying again today, but I will add Theanine.
Try to reduce drinking coffee at night. For me, before I sleep I make myself a weak coffee latte (0.75 tablespoon of instant coffee) and plenty of sugar. But I don't find drinking coffee that difficult. We have coffee at work, outside in malls, even in our living room. We have strong arabic coffee jar sitting lonely in the middle of the house, so I make sure I give her some love whenever i see her :D

CoolTweetPete

milk_lover said:
post 112641
CoolTweetPete said:
post 112637 but I will add Theanine.
Is it supposed to work like taurine?

Theanine is very relaxing, it's a GABA agonist if i'm not mistaken.

I think people on here use it to avoid a stress response when using high dose caffeine. I think I had a slight stress response with 1.4g of caffeine yesterday so I'm thinking I should use it if I plan on going higher today.

CoolTweetPete

naninani said:
post 112656 What about drinking red bull occasionally?
Not sure about where you live, but here in the US RedBull is sometimes made with unsavory artificial sweeteners like acelsulfame potassium and sucralose. I have seen RedBull made with sucrose, but not as often.

Peata

Theanine is great to take with caffeine, and Cyproheptadine is another great thing to stop the stress response.

CoolTweetPete

Peata said:
post 112665 Theanine is great to take with caffeine, and Cyproheptadine is another great thing to stop the stress response.

Do you know where I can purchase cypro? The sites I buy thyroid from do not carry it.

milk_lover

naninani said:
What about drinking red bull occasionally?
I did the Red Bull experiment before and it was not so good. Red Bull has a lot of bad stuff inside, just be careful.

Ulla

I am from europe, I checked a brand of "red bull" from Spar. It is a generic drink. Ingredients on mine are only in Deutsch and Italian. But I think it is quite okay. I bought it for a friend, I am avoiding this stuff. Don't remember the last time I drank it. Anyways, when I saw ingredients I thought to myself that maybe isn't harmful for time to time..

Attachments

• 2015-12-04 21.47.48.jpg
    2015-12-04 21.47.48.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 409

CoolTweetPete

naninani said:
post 112688 I am from europe, I checked a brand of "red bull" from Spar. It is a generic drink. Ingredients on mine are only in Deutsch and Italian. But I think it is quite okay. I bought it for a friend, I am avoiding this stuff. Don't remember the last time I drank it. Anyways, when I saw ingredients I thought to myself that maybe isn't harmful for time to time..

Yes, these ingredients seem okay (even has niacinamide) but I think you would be hard pressed to find a Red Bull with those ingredients in the United States unfortunately. Most here include some nasty artificial sweeteners.

milk_lover

naninani said:
post 112688 I am from europe, I checked a brand of "red bull" from Spar. It is a generic drink. Ingredients on mine are only in Deutsch and Italian. But I think it is quite okay. I bought it for a friend, I am avoiding this stuff. Don't remember the last time I drank it. Anyways, when I saw ingredients I thought to myself that maybe isn't harmful for time to time..
maybe from time to time, but I, as always, like to do crazy experiments :lol: I was drinking 6 to 8 cans of Red Bull a day! I wanted to see its effect on my body... I had very poor sleep during the experiment. My mood was not good which was weird considering taurine is good for mood. Maybe I got too much b vitamins especially B12. My hair was not in the best condition during the experiment. Now I just take b supplements and taurine instead of red bulls. The red bull in my country has worse ingredients than yours probably.

answersfound