Most Cost Effective / Nutrient Dense Caffeine/Coffee?

Cirion

I've flip flopped more on whether coffee is good for me than a typical politican flip flops on taxes or other controversial topics. I've flopped back into thinking coffee is what I need.

To that end--
Let's say I want to work my way up to 1 gram (or even more) of caffeine a day. What are the best ways to do so without breaking the bank, and ideally without caffeine pills? I'm not the biggest fan of the pills, since it's just pure caffeine with no nutrients. I like cold brew coffee, but even that stuff, is maybe 700mg caffeine at most per bottle, and a bottle can be 6$ or more.

lampofred

Black Silk Folger's because the fancier stuff gets really expensive if you drink it in RP quantities.

Gone Peating

I would also like to know

I currently use trader joe's instant coffee added to my milk and it's very inexpensive, but I have no idea about the nutrient/caffeine density tbh

redsun

I've flip flopped more on whether coffee is good for me than a typical politican flip flops on taxes or other controversial topics. I've flopped back into thinking coffee is what I need.

To that end--
Let's say I want to work my way up to 1 gram (or even more) of caffeine a day. What are the best ways to do so without breaking the bank, and ideally without caffeine pills? I'm not the biggest fan of the pills, since it's just pure caffeine with no nutrients. I like cold brew coffee, but even that stuff, is maybe 700mg caffeine at most per bottle, and a bottle can be 6$ or more.

Instant coffee is a good bet. I was looking for caffeine content info for myself so I can figure how much caffeine I was getting with instant and I got these numbers:

1 teaspoon instant coffee - 57mg caffeine 1.8g in weight
1 tablespoon instant coffee - 171mg caffeine 5.4g in weight

I got these numbers awhile ago so I dont remember where I got them from but this appears to be general caffeine content for instant coffees. Instant is incredibly easy and quick to make just adding creamer, skim milk and sugar to taste and I drink it down pretty easily with just 2 tbsp of sugar. 3 tbsp was too sweet. Less fuss and time which is my preferred way of living.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Instant coffee is a good bet. I was looking for caffeine content info for myself so I can figure how much caffeine I was getting with instant and I got these numbers:

1 teaspoon instant coffee - 57mg caffeine 1.8g in weight
1 tablespoon instant coffee - 171mg caffeine 5.4g in weight

Oh s*** lol Well that explains why I was higher than the international space station after 4 tbsp. of instant coffee in one mug I did briefly awhile back.

Less fuss and time which is my preferred way of living.

Yeah I agree. Less money too, because I'm tired of health related stuff sucking all my money dry leaving me with nothing to invest like I've been wanting.

Gone Peating

Oh s*** lol Well that explains why I was higher than the international space station after 4 tbsp. of instant coffee in one mug I did briefly awhile back.

Yeah I agree. Less money too, because I'm tired of health related stuff sucking all my money dry leaving me with nothing to invest like I've been wanting.

:nailbiting:

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Nothing beats though when I had 4 scoops of a new pre-workout which was something like 1200 mg caffeine but on top of that other stimulants which are also added to pre-workouts besides just the caffeine.

I will never forget the workout I had that evening. I was completely numb to pain and lactic acid buildup in my muscles. Instead of feeling lactic acid burn, once my body reached its limits, my limbs just ... stopped working. No pain, they just stopped working. Lol I remember doing squats and was like... Why can't I finish my rep? Why my body no workey?? LOL

redsun

Yeh well you have officially convinced me to get my caffeine intake through the roof.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Yeh well you have officially convinced me to get my caffeine intake through the roof.

Just don't go from 200 mg to 1000+ mg in one day like I've done in the past. I'm not responsible for any ER visits or anything. Just putting that out there before someone does something dumb and tries to sue me =P

OP
Cirion

Cirion

So this Gevalia brand cold brew coffee seems fairly legit. I woke up today on the wrong side of the bed, but this stuff turned my mood around, and then some. I wasn't very sleepy like I usually get from the EMF's in my car on the ride home. I also normally get pretty exerted just from grocery shopping, which I know is sad, but this time I didn't. I also found myself checking out women more than usual at the store. Good times. I mixed it with a whole concentrate container of grape juice (so 900 calories of sugar, plenty to avoid cortisol from the coffee).

Runenight201

Absolutely nothing beats properly prepared coffee from properly roasted beans. But that can get expensive quick, especially if coffee is a staple in the diet. Most beans in the grocery store isle are over roasted, ESPECIALLY Starbucks beans. Goodness gracious those are so burnt, i have no idea why anyone would buy those.

After being exposed to the delectable glory that properly roasted beans are through a press, it’s tough to drink your regular ole Folgers drip coffee. I’ve found a decent middle ground in the Private Selection Ethiopian beans. The lighter/milder roasts have less chances of being overroasted, so the flavor is more pleasant and less burnt. It also has the added benefit of not being so bad through drip style, so it’s possible to make a big ole pot in the morning, and then put into a container and easily drink throughout the day. I think grinding your own bean provides superior flavor, although I havent gone full bourgeois yet and gotten the burr grinder.

Caffeine is great. I like to chase my coffee with Coca Cola lol it makes me feel so hydrated and good. If I’m in a facetious mood I’ll joke around with people and tell em that water is an inferior form of hydration and to drink cola and eat fruit instead, but for the most part I just keep that to myself. Besides... I do OCCASIONALLY have some plain ole water here and there

To that end--

If you want to do caffeine from coffee, I recommend Dunkin Donuts brand. You can buy a large bag of coffee for like 10 bucks at Wal Mart or at other stores for a bit more money. It tastes good (better than Gevalia, Starbucks brand, and other brands I've tried), its strong (strongest caffeine buzz out of all the brands I've tried), and it's inexpensive (it'll last you like a month and a half at least, if you do a few cups a day).

tygertgr

If you're dumping milk and sugar in it, who cares. Get a mostly robusta blend. You can barely taste the coffee in any case, once sweetened.

I like it black and get locally roasted. If I was poor I would just not drink it black and would get cheap robusta stuff and put honey or sugar and whole milk in it. I'm sure folgers or bustello or whatever is fine for that.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Just broke through a weight loss plateau (a weight I was stuck at for 1-2 weeks) after just one day of increasing caffeine (And I'm not yet very high, just 240mg yesterday as opposed to my normal 140-150 or so). I think good things are in my future as I slowly work my way up to 1,000 or so.

Aymen

i prefer Arabica beans for the quality and robusta beans for the higher caffeine content, i also take mix called classico.

Taotatoes

Have you tried turkish coffee? I drink it just as is, no dilution of water, just a splash of milk. I'd guesstimate a cup (which equals what a small turkish pot perks) would be around 400 mg. You can buy huge bags of the fine grounds fairly cheap (here) at Mediterranean grocers. Tastes like you're drinking dirt undiluted, but imo much better than most sludge I make myself with instant coffee (which I drink on a regular basis).

Matt C

Man I love coffee, but i've had consistently low temps for a long time, my RT3 is elevated also. I feel like coffee might not be good for me but one a day seems to hard to give up.