How many failed Paleo and VLC's are on here?

cfhunter

Curious to know if anyone else crashed adrenals and thyroid and gained fat while eating paleo?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:wave:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I was a victim of VLC. I do not recommend it to anyone although I did at the time. :(

HDD

Paleo, thought it was great. Only good thing is I found Ray Peat as a result. No more new diets for this girl.

4peatssake

:shootself
Me three.

I went one better going back and forth between paleo/VLC and raw vegan.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
4peatssake said:
I went one better going back and forth between paleo/VLC and raw vegan.

:crazy:

OP
C

cfhunter

ME? Paleo NO CARB (almost killed me), VLC with NO fruit only sweet potatoes and white potatoes, NO dairy at all. Found Peat last year....put him in my save file and returned to him through a friend who reminded me of him....and now here with temps in the 99.2 range mid day and so far off thyroid meds. Just hope to regain my metabolism. I think I am the only person who gained massive tummy fat on paleo. Everyone around me lost weight on it!
:eek:

4peatssake

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yeh VLC almost killed me to. :( Very grateful to have found Ray Peat.

OP
C

cfhunter

Charlie I am hoping I end up grateful bc this weight is really bothering me.

BaconBits

Hmmm. Dont people usually look for diets when they already have crashed adrenals.

Me personally I didnt care what I eat until I just crashed at age 16. It started with sleeping in class,no energy whatosoever, cold sensitivity. It destroyes your best years. I started searching for health on interent and went from "no refined foods/no red meat/no salt" (for 3 years) to Dr. Mercola Paleo and got worse and worse and worse.

I was in my bed whole days surfing the internet, when I found Dr Borkin videos on youtube, he seemend like someone who really know that the problem is in the hormonal system and that I realized that I was very sick.

On day in email Dr. Borkin told me this:"Most stuff on the internet is wrong, look for articles written by Ray Peat". And here I am.

Its sad that Ray Peat is so underpreciated. WAP foundation mentions him in one articles and laugh at him and discredits him. Mercola only mentions him in coconut oil article, plus it doesnt go with his no fructose paranoia. He is just not taken serious and its hard to find information about Ray Peat at first Googling. And shame on WAp foundation. When time will go by I think he will be proven right on everything.

Mittir

I think most Ray Peat followers are a former low carber or low carber paleo.
I did some kind of low carb diet, either as paleo or anti inflammation diet for several years.
I did only one month of very low carb diet and it felt wonderful for 3 days and then it was pure hell
for a month. That was the first time i had serious sleep problem.
I lost good amount of weight during very low carb diet but after that
i was very sensitive to carb, even a small amount of carb would make me gain weight around belly.
I follow a Ray Peat style for several years without full sugar. I was not convinced RP was right about
sugar. I frequented all the good health blogs, i only read stuff written by real scientist or good MDs.
I could not find a single site recommending sugar. I lost my pot belly after i gave up all starch and went
all sugar. Lost 14 lbs in 3 weeks. I stayed there for about 6 months. Then i had to add some starch and gained some weight back, 7 lbs. If i stop starch now ill loose that 7 lbs in week. I know for sure that starch is the culprit.
I eat about 200-300 grams of sugar . I do strictly follow other RP recommendations.

mandance

I came from Paleo and had a lot of success with it. I lost about 40lbs that have stayed off. But I wouldnt nec. call it a success. I feel like ***t but who knows why.

OP
C

cfhunter

Mittir when you say strictly dos that mean you never venture from the list of foods he recommends?

Mittir

cfhunter said:
Mittir when you say strictly dos that mean you never venture from the list of foods he recommends?

Except for few exceptions RP recommendations are quite flexible. I do all the musts, like daily carrot salad,
limiting PUFA below 4 grams, 80 grams of protein, weekly liver , well cooked starch ( rice and potato), lots of
sugar from honey,sucrose, milk and fruit juices. Fruits has to be really ripe.calcium phosphorus ratio etc.
I was milk intolerant for a long time, i was only able to add milk about a year ago. Adding milk was major
improvement on everything. I do once in a while eat things that is not optimal, but i do not consider those
as breaking any rules.

OP
C

cfhunter

Thanks Mittir. I am going to lay off starches and decrease fat and see where that takes me. Increasing sugars...wow....still hard to swallow even with an all day temp of 99.0+

Mittir

cfhunter said:
Thanks Mittir. I am going to lay off starches and decrease fat and see where that takes me. Increasing sugars...wow....still hard to swallow even with an all day temp of 99.0+

If your real temperature is 99 through out the day that means your metabolism is in great shape
and you can easily loose weight. But if this temperature is due to cortisol then eating more carb/sugar
will lower both cortisol and temperature. RP suggests taking temperature 2 hours after breakfast.

readforjoy

Yep, low carb/Paleo for 8 years. Major adrenal and thyroid crash a year and a half ago. Gave it all up a few months ago. Hard to wrap my brain around sugar being healthy. My doc is telling me to go back to eating low-carb/high-protein.

kiran

I was low carb for a little while. I couldn't walk past the candy section at the grocery store without buying some, so I never gave zero carb a full try. That's the reason why I'm here.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals