Health issues /diet

Saphire

In the last month my thyroid swelled, EBV became very active, have had some muscle triggers. So I went to doctor. He is stating and so did the test I am highly allergic to dairy. I told him about my orange juice consumption and he stated with my body in turmoil OJ and cokes are the last thing I need to be drinking. My adrenals are shot, I am in estrogen dominance. I have been peating for a while but he is suggesting I start the Paleo diet. Please give me your thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.

In the last month my thyroid swelled, EBV became very active, have had some muscle triggers. So I went to doctor. He is stating and so did the test I am highly allergic to dairy. I told him about my orange juice consumption and he stated with my body in turmoil OJ and cokes are the last thing I need to be drinking. My adrenals are shot, I am in estrogen dominance. I have been peating for a while but he is suggesting I start the Paleo diet. Please give me your thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.

I don’t think the Paleo diet is bad if you avoid the nuts and coconut meats. Just don’t eat big portions of meat, just 3 ounces per serving and apply the other RP principles, like balancing proteins with a fruit or honey, well cook vegetables and starchy fruits, skip all the pork and corn and soy fed chicken and focus on grass fed lamb and beef, shellfish and eggs. See where all that lands you.

*Edited for spelling error.

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I don’t think the Paleo diet is bad if you avoid the nuts and coconut meats. Just don’t eat big portions of meat, just 3 ounces per serving and apply the other RP principles, like balancing truly our proteins with a fruit or honey, well cook vegetables and starchy fruits, skip all the pork and corn and soy fed chicken and focus on grass fed lamb and beef, shellfish and eggs. See where all that lands you.
Agree, paleo doesn’t have to be low carb. You could have quality meat and seafood and lots of fruits as your base.

Vileplume

The thyroid swelling is a common indicator of hypothyroidism. Do you take your basal temperature when you wake up?

Do you drink regular cow’s milk?

OP
Saphire

Saphire

The thyroid swelling is a common indicator of hypothyroidism. Do you take your basal temperature when you wake up?

Yes, it's not fresh but I did buy organic and 2%. I have not taken temp upon wakening. It's weird I will have sever swelling then the next day it's mild swelling it's been up and down swelling since last post.

Thank you @Rinse & rePeat & @Blossom for your feed back, will keep this in mind.

OP
Saphire

Saphire

Hello, a little update. I started taking my basal temp /pulse which are low and. Become lower after I eat
This morning I was 96.7/63, 30 mins later 95.9/66. Which I have read is high cortisol.

Since this last post above things have gotten worse. I woke two Wednesday ago with vertigo, diarrhea, cold sweats and nausea. After this I decided to ditch all the supplements the doctor had put me on. Last week I started back on vit A,D,K, Vit e, added pregnonelone (never taken this before but libido is shot) and upped my progesterone because I have had swollen lymph nodes in my armpits since February which I feel is due to estrogen dominance. I went back to Peating all except OJ and milk, I just added 2 oz of milk in coffee a couple days ago and had 4 oz OJ yesterday. I am still battling with low Temps, thyroid swelling, diarrhea, estrogen, low libido and fatigue. I honestly never had issues before with milk, that's why I was so stunned when he said I was allergic. Any suggestions/direction would help.

Vileplume

Hello, a little update. I started taking my basal temp /pulse which are low and. Become lower after I eat
This morning I was 96.7/63, 30 mins later 95.9/66. Which I have read is high cortisol.

Since this last post above things have gotten worse. I woke two Wednesday ago with vertigo, diarrhea, cold sweats and nausea. After this I decided to ditch all the supplements the doctor had put me on. Last week I started back on vit A,D,K, Vit e, added pregnonelone (never taken this before but libido is shot) and upped my progesterone because I have had swollen lymph nodes in my armpits since February which I feel is due to estrogen dominance. I went back to Peating all except OJ and milk, I just added 2 oz of milk in coffee a couple days ago and had 4 oz OJ yesterday. I am still battling with low Temps, thyroid swelling, diarrhea, estrogen, low libido and fatigue. I honestly never had issues before with milk, that's why I was so stunned when he said I was allergic. Any suggestions/direction would help.
Could you provide some other lab work numbers, especially TSH and cholesterol?

Those temperatures strongly suggest hypothyroidism, so increasing temp is the main priority. With a rising temperature, your symptoms should begin to improve.

I don't know what type of test he used to determine your dairy allergy, but usually, if you're allergic to something (especially something like milk) it's very obvious digestively. If you never previously had problems with milk, I'd be skeptical about that test. Milk could be a really helpful tool in improving. At least if you don't see improvements after a month or so without milk, try adding it back in and see what happens.

You can also try supplementing thyroid (Haidut's Tyromax or ordering cynoplus from Mexico), but before doing that, I'd recommend reading Broda Barnes' book Hypothyroidism: The Unsuspected Illness to make sure you pace the dosing right. (That is, if a doctor won't prescribe it based on TSH or bloodwork)

OP
Saphire

Saphire

Could you provide some other lab work numbers, especially TSH and cholesterol?

Those temperatures strongly suggest hypothyroidism, so increasing temp is the main priority. With a rising temperature, your symptoms should begin to improve.

I don't know what type of test he used to determine your dairy allergy, but usually, if you're allergic to something (especially something like milk) it's very obvious digestively. If you never previously had problems with milk, I'd be skeptical about that test. Milk could be a really helpful tool in improving. At least if you don't see improvements after a month or so without milk, try adding it back in and see what happens.

You can also try supplementing thyroid (Haidut's Tyromax or ordering cynoplus from Mexico), but before doing that, I'd recommend reading Broda Barnes' book Hypothyroidism: The Unsuspected Illness to make sure you pace the dosing right. (That is, if a doctor won't prescribe it based on TSH or bloodwork)
I haven't had labs drawn for a while. The doctor I was going to previously was the one managing my thyroid, I am currently on 35 mg/day of cytomel. I haven't seen her in awhile due to having severe adrenal fatigue for over a year and then I experienced my hair starting to become dry and brittle to the point I had to cut over 6 inches off. She had me on testosterone pellets and I told her several times the side effects I was having I felt was due to the pellets. So I took myself off them. This was last yr in Aug 2021. Fast foward to beginning of March 2022, I went through a series of stress then 3 wks of severe neck pain to the point of not being able to cope. They prescribed me prednisone, which I had never taken before. I only went this route because I was getting ready to go on vacation and be in a car for over 13 hrs. There was no way I could of went in the pain I was in. Once I got back from vacay is when every thing went spiraling out of control. I broke out from the front of my mouth all the way down my throat with blisters. So a friend of mine talked me into going to this doctor I spoke about above. He didn't run labs, it was this electro computer thing that monitors your body and detects things this way. It seemed to be accurate on some things. So I went against my own knowledge of Ray peat info, and because I was so messed up in body, I ditched everything and went under his direction. Which wasn't good. I feel better on dairy, now I am still having issues with blisters just not as bad so I decided to not add in OJ just yet. I did slowly add in milk the last several days. I am still experiencing bouts of diarrhea and the worst is the thyroid swelling off and on. It's not consistent. My lymph nodes are still swelled under my armpits and this is concerning. I really feel the prednisone messed me up! Iam trying to figure out the swelling and lymph nodes.

I appreciate your reply. Do you know of anyone on here that would do consulting with me? I really need some direction with these issues

Vileplume

Hi Saphire.

Can you please post a detailed daily breakdown of your diet? Basically like all the foods you eat for each meal of the day.

I am not a doctor and have only gained my knowledge listening to Dr. Peat and reading a few other books, but Broda Barnes wrote a lot about how swelling is a common symptom of hypothyroidism, especially in the context of slowness and fatigue. Since your thyroid gland is swollen and your temperature is low, it really seems like hypothyroidism is the issue.

Perhaps taking 35 mg/day of cytomel needs some sort of tweak or addition to start working better:
-Some T4
-Improved digestion
-increased salt intake or fluid balance
-More of a certain nutrient

Also, maybe the cytomel just isn't working? You could try haidut's Tyromax or ordering a different brand of thyroid, like cynoplus or cynomel from Mexico.

It's possible that during the times when your T3 levels drop in between doses (or overnight), you become temporarily hypothyroid. Adding in a higher ratio of T4 could help.

As for members doing consulting, I'm not sure. I know Danny Roddy takes some clients, but other than that--you'd have to ask around.

Overall, the focus needs to be on getting the temperature up. I hope you are continuing to take it every morning.

Giraffe

The doctor I was going to previously was the one managing my thyroid, I am currently on 35 mg/day of cytomel.

Quite a few of your symptoms are listed as side effects of cytomel. I wonder if you take too large a dose at once. The body quickly deactivates T3 if there too much around.

Here are two links you might find useful:

OP
Saphire

Saphire

Hi Saphire.

Can you please post a detailed daily breakdown of your diet? Basically like all the foods you eat for each meal of the day.

I am not a doctor and have only gained my knowledge listening to Dr. Peat and reading a few other books, but Broda Barnes wrote a lot about how swelling is a common symptom of hypothyroidism, especially in the context of slowness and fatigue. Since your thyroid gland is swollen and your temperature is low, it really seems like hypothyroidism is the issue.

Perhaps taking 35 mg/day of cytomel needs some sort of tweak or addition to start working better:
-Some T4
-Improved digestion
-increased salt intake or fluid balance
-More of a certain nutrient

Also, maybe the cytomel just isn't working? You could try haidut's Tyromax or ordering a different brand of thyroid, like cynoplus or cynomel from Mexico.

It's possible that during the times when your T3 levels drop in between doses (or overnight), you become temporarily hypothyroid. Adding in a higher ratio of T4 could help.

As for members doing consulting, I'm not sure. I know Danny Roddy takes some clients, but other than that--you'd have to ask around.

Overall, the focus needs to be on getting the temperature up. I hope you are continuing to take it every morning.
For breakfast I eat 2 soft eggs cook w/tsp butter, 1 cup fruit and usually a slice of gluten free, no PUFA's bread w/tbs fruit jam

2 hrs later I will eas 1/2 cup fruit w/1 oz cheese, 2oz milk in 6oz coffee w/scoop of collagen and 1 tbs honey

Lunch is usually 1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese w/1/4c non fat greek yogurt with 2 cups fruit

Afternoon snack is usually carrot salad with same mixture from breakfast for the coffee

Dinner is usually 3-4 oz of meat, liver or fish with either 1c fruit or a sweet potato

I will usually have 1 cup warm milk w/tbs of sugar & cocoa powder 1 hr befor bed.

I am taking 12mg of levothyronine at 5am
2nd dose of 5mg at 8a
3rd dose of 5mg at 11a
4th dose of 5mg at 2p
5th dose of 10 mg at 5 p
Last dose of 5 mg at 8p

I have upped my dose since this last post. I have finally got temp up to 97.4 upon weakening. I have been on levothyronine for years and can't see it all of a sudden me being allergic. But I won't take it off the table cause I am sure it could happen. Most issues i am dealing with started after the prednisone. I don't always wake with thyroid swelled. This will randomly happen through out the day as well.

sweetpeat

Hello sweetheart, Levothyronine (not levothyroXine) is T3, which is a generic of cytomel.
Ahh, ok. Thanks for the clarification. I had not heard of it before. Confusing to make the names so similar.

Peatful

Are you male or female?
Age?
Height and weight roughly?
Dietary history please.

You can be brief- but more data is needed.

OP
Saphire

Saphire

Are you male or female?
Age?
Height and weight roughly?
Dietary history please.

You can be brief- but more data is needed.
Hello Peatful,
I am a 50 yo female, I weigh 149, an am 5'7"

For breakfast I eat 2 soft eggs cook w/tsp butter, 1 cup fruit and usually a slice of gluten free, no PUFA's bread w/tbs fruit jam

2 hrs later I will eas 1/2 cup fruit w/1 oz cheese, 2oz milk in 6oz coffee w/scoop of collagen and 1 tbs honey

Lunch is usually 1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese w/1/4c non fat greek yogurt with 2 cups fruit

Afternoon snack is usually carrot salad with same mixture from breakfast for the coffee

Dinner is usually 3-4 oz of meat, liver or fish with either 1c fruit or a sweet potato

I will usually have 1 cup warm milk w/tbs of sugar & cocoa powder 1 hr befor bed.

2nd dose of 5mg at 8a
3rd dose of 5mg at 11a
4th dose of 5mg at 2p
5th dose of 10 mg at 5 p
Last dose of 5 mg at 8p

Peatful

Hello Peatful,
I am a 50 yo female, I weigh 149, an am 5'7"

2nd dose of 5mg at 8a
3rd dose of 5mg at 11a
4th dose of 5mg at 2p
5th dose of 10 mg at 5 p
Last dose of 5 mg at 8p
Thank you

Do you happen to have a dietary history of keto? Paleo? Anything restrictive - like whole 30 or low fat etc. ?

Is your career or job unbearably stressful a lot of the time?

Lastly, were you underweight for a number of years either in your 30’s or 40’s?

OP
Saphire

Saphire

Thank you

Do you happen to have a dietary history of keto? Paleo? Anything restrictive - like whole 30 or low fat etc. ?

Is your career or job unbearably stressful a lot of the time?

Lastly, were you underweight for a number of years either in your 30’s or 40’s?
All the health issues started when I was 42. In my late 20's- early 30's I was a low Carber for about 10+yrs. Once I started down the hypo road in 2013 is when I shifted alot of things. Before finding Ray Peat back in 2019 (I think that's when it was). I had done paleo for awhile.

I don't have a stressful job. But I did go through lots of stress for about 10+ yrs due to marriage and ministry.

I have always been on the thin side but never underweight.

Peatful

All the health issues started when I was 42. In my late 20's- early 30's I was a low Carber for about 10+yrs. Once I started down the hypo road in 2013 is when I shifted alot of things. Before finding Ray Peat back in 2019 (I think that's when it was). I had done paleo for awhile.

I don't have a stressful job. But I did go through lots of stress for about 10+ yrs due to marriage and ministry.

I have always been on the thin side but never underweight.

So with your original post- plus this data:
You have basically spelled out your problem.
And it’s never just one thing- but usually a series of things.

Your opening question was around Paleo.
And like you- im very hesitant to endorse that.

Don’t underestimate the damage ten years of low carbing can do to a person.
Especially a woman…
Hence your estrogen dominance now.

Yes. Your adrenals are shot.
Ten years of keeping your blood sugar up due to low carbing.
They should have been pumping out the progesterone for you- but were too busy keeping you going on stress hormones.
Now you are ED and hypothyroid.

Lastly-
Your current “Peat” diet isn’t working for you.

It’s unpopular here (although @sugarbabe i think is currently getting great results)
But you need to ditch the Peat diet, the perfect diet, the Paleo diet et al-
And you need to eat eat eat with whatever agrees with you.

I healed by eating (im not recommending this. This is to give you perspective)-
Literally mixing bowls of icing.
Pizza. Grilled cheese. Starches. Ice cream. Hot dogs. Burgers. Soda. Pork BBQ.

Whatever i wanted - i ate.
Whatever i could digest well - i ate again.

And i healed.

No supplements. No T3. No T4. No progesterone.
Just unrestricted food.

More to say.
But you get the picture.

Remember- your body wants to heal.
It’s looking to heal and for balance.
My sense is- you’ll heal pretty quickly.

Best.

OP
Saphire

Saphire

So with your original post- plus this data:
You have basically spelled out your problem.
And it’s never just one thing- but usually a series of things.

Your opening question was around Paleo.
And like you- im very hesitant to endorse that.

Don’t underestimate the damage ten years of low carbing can do to a person.
Especially a woman…
Hence your estrogen dominance now.

Yes. Your adrenals are shot.
Ten years of keeping your blood sugar up due to low carbing.
They should have been pumping out the progesterone for you- but were too busy keeping you going on stress hormones.
Now you are ED and hypothyroid.

Lastly-
Your current “Peat” diet isn’t working for you.

It’s unpopular here (although @sugarbabe i think is currently getting great results)
But you need to ditch the Peat diet, the perfect diet, the Paleo diet et al-
And you need to eat eat eat with whatever agrees with you.

I healed by eating (im not recommending this. This is to give you perspective)-
Literally mixing bowls of icing.
Pizza. Grilled cheese. Starches. Ice cream. Hot dogs. Burgers. Soda. Pork BBQ.

Whatever i wanted - i ate.
Whatever i could digest well - i ate again.

And i healed.

No supplements. No T3. No T4. No progesterone.
Just unrestricted food.

More to say.
But you get the picture.

Remember- your body wants to heal.
It’s looking to heal and for balance.
My sense is- you’ll heal pretty quickly.

Best.
This is all very interesting! I will diffanetly keep this in mind and do some praying. I do know in-between 2013 to now, several doctors have shifted me to Paleo and every time I would try and go this direction, I would only end up feeling worse. But evwrytime I would go back to Peating I would start to feel better. It wasn't until the prednisone is when everything seemed to get out of whack. Of corse except for the estrogen dominance I have been dealing with for a long while now.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals