How can I reduce LDL cholesterol?

P

Peatness

undecided0

My mother had a huge reduction of LDL after months of Vit D, some K2, and a b complex. It’s been high for years and this is the only thing she’s ever introduced.

I can ask for specifics if you’d like for dosing, LDL numbers, etc

Lizb

I

Two hundred grams of raw carrot eaten at breakfast each day for 3 weeks significantly reduced serum cholesterol by 11%, increased fecal bile acid and fat excretion by 50%, and modestly increased stool weight by 25%. This suggests an associated change in bacterial flora or metabolism. The changes in serum cholesterol, fecal bile acids, and fat persisted 3 weeks after stopping treatment.
Wonder if this works. I'll try. I have those white blobs on my eyes and my cholesterol is too I think.
I heard Ray say carbohydrates increase cholesterol.

P

Peatness

I

Wonder if this works. I'll try. I have those white blobs on my eyes and my cholesterol is too I think.
I heard Ray say carbohydrates increase cholesterol.
To be honest I haven't tried this myself because of excess carotene issue. I think fiber in general lowers high cholesterol.

Jessie

Anything that increases steroidogenesis will lower LDL. Most "peat-approved" substances would be pregnenolone, progesterone, and thyroid.

The problem could also be endotoxins causing an immune response. Whenever the body perceives a bacterial infection LDL always spikes above baseline.

Incidentally, this is probably why some people experience higher LDLs when eating saturated fats, while others don't. The fat isn't necessarily effecting people differently, but it is causing different effects on everybody's microbiome. Which is highly individualized. You could try lowering fats, or using antibiotics or charcoal to lower endotoxins.

Mauritio

"T3 therapy lowered Lp(a) by 29% to 50 (12-535) mg/l, p < 0.01. Apo B and LDL cholesterol fell by 42% (p < 0.001) and by 53% (p < 0.001), respectively."

Peachy

Recipe that has been used by many in my family:

1 head of garlic (all the cloves - about 15, peeled)
1/2 liter of water
2.5 organic lemons, juice of

Combine all ingredients in blender and blend til smoothish. Strain through a colander with large holes. Take about a shot glass of the liquid everyday.

Frankdee20

Anything that increases steroidogenesis will lower LDL. Most "peat-approved" substances would be pregnenolone, progesterone, and thyroid.

The problem could also be endotoxins causing an immune response. Whenever the body perceives a bacterial infection LDL always spikes above baseline.

Incidentally, this is probably why some people experience higher LDLs when eating saturated fats, while others don't. The fat isn't necessarily effecting people differently, but it is causing different effects on everybody's microbiome. Which is highly individualized. You could try lowering fats, or using antibiotics or charcoal to lower endotoxins.
Can Vitamin A help ?

Frankdee20

Recipe that has been used by many in my family:

1 head of garlic (all the cloves - about 15, peeled)
1/2 liter of water
2.5 organic lemons, juice of

Combine all ingredients in blender and blend til smoothish. Strain through a colander with large holes. Take about a shot glass of the liquid everyday.
Garlic should come with a caveat, and perhaps this point I want to make deserves its own thread. Garlic and the allyl sulfides penetrate the brain and elicit desynchronization that was measurable on an EEG.
I react horribly when I ingest garlic, even cooked bulbs, but the powder not so much.

RealNeat

That’s very interesting. Does amila have side effects? Does it impact kidney function? Raise blood pressure?
I think this will answer your question.

"Ray Peat has written that statins can increase the production of oxidized cholesterol in the body. Statins work by inhibiting the enzyme HMG-CoA reductase, which is involved in the production of cholesterol in the liver. However, this enzyme is also involved in the production of coenzyme Q10. When HMG-CoA reductase is inhibited by statins, the production of coenzyme Q10 is reduced, leading to an increase in oxidative stress and the production of oxidized cholesterol. And this can contribute to the development of atherosclerosis and other health problems associated with high oxidized cholesterol." - @md_a

...Various clinical studies show that Indian gooseberry interferes with cholesterol absorption from food and also stops the action of the enzyme HMG-CoA reductase that plays an important role in the formation of cholesterol. Amla reduces total cholesterol (TC) level, LDL (Low-Density Lipoprotein) and triglyceride (TG) level. It is also known to increase High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL) level [1].

1. Gopa B, Bhatt J, Hemavathi KG. A comparative clinical study of hypolipidemic efficacy of Amla (Emblica officinalis) with 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme-A reductase inhibitor simvastatin. Indian Journal of Pharmacology. 2012;44(2):238-242. doi:10.4103/0253-7613.93857.

RealNeat

I think this will answer your question.

"Ray Peat has written that statins can increase the production of oxidized cholesterol in the body. Statins work by inhibiting the enzyme HMG-CoA reductase, which is involved in the production of cholesterol in the liver. However, this enzyme is also involved in the production of coenzyme Q10. When HMG-CoA reductase is inhibited by statins, the production of coenzyme Q10 is reduced, leading to an increase in oxidative stress and the production of oxidized cholesterol. And this can contribute to the development of atherosclerosis and other health problems associated with high oxidized cholesterol." - @md_a

...Various clinical studies show that Indian gooseberry interferes with cholesterol absorption from food and also stops the action of the enzyme HMG-CoA reductase that plays an important role in the formation of cholesterol. Amla reduces total cholesterol (TC) level, LDL (Low-Density Lipoprotein) and triglyceride (TG) level. It is also known to increase High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL) level [1].

1. Gopa B, Bhatt J, Hemavathi KG. A comparative clinical study of hypolipidemic efficacy of Amla (Emblica officinalis) with 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme-A reductase inhibitor simvastatin. Indian Journal of Pharmacology. 2012;44(2):238-242. doi:10.4103/0253-7613.93857.
thinking about this a little deeper, since when HMG-CoA reductase is inhibited by statins it prevents coq10 production Amla is likely the safer way to lower cholesterol, why? because it contains potent antioxidants that can help fulfill some of the roles of coq10, that a pharma statin would not do, (proper thyroid and general hormone function being likely the best way to lower cholesterol)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals