How can I reduce LDL cholesterol?

P

Peatness

Some people say taurine/magnesium/fiber help lower their cholesterol. If you drink unfiltered coffee that can raise it

youngsinatra

3-5 grams of Amla powder a day. Lowered my LDL by 50% from 130 to 65 mg/dl in 4 weeks.

Have a look at the study I attached. Just mind-blowing effects of just 1,2 or 3 grams of amla on LDL and triglycerides reduction, HDL increase and blood glucose lowering effects, in just 3 weeks, and btw in humans.

Edit: The study has a control group, a group of healthy people treated with amla and a group of diabetic people treated with amla. Even in the diabetic group, Amla showed remarkable results.

Attachments

• 09637486.2011.560565.pdf
    131.6 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

baccheion

Gym every other day. T3. Other things that increase LDLr. Niacin. Choline. Iodine.

Grapelander

Lita Lee: The Myth of Bad Cholesterol: Cholesterol, LDL and Mortality

In my 25 years of work as an enzyme therapist I have observed that thus sickest people have the lowest cholesterol. This is especially true of LDL cholesterol whether they are too sick to make it or are taking an anti-cholesterol drug. Why? It is the LDL cholesterol that is converted into pregnenolone, the major anti-aging steroid, which is then partly converted into progesterone and DHEA. That’s why I rejoice when I see a person with a cholesterol of 200 or above. Because I know that, given enzymes, a prothyroid diet and hormonal balancing with thyroid glandular, progesterone and pregnenolone, they will be able to nourish their thyroid gland and help convert their LDL cholesterol into pregnenolone.

“Cholesterol itself is one of life's basic defense systems, essential for all functions, and when thyroid is low, increasing cholesterol partly compensates, by maintaining progesterone production, regulating nerves and cell division and cell communication and motility, etc. Higher thyroid increases the rate of cholesterol turnover, keeping oxidized cholesterol from accumulating, despite the interference of PUFA (omega-3 and -6 oils). In old people, mortality was minimal when cholesterol was at 270, but in higher thyroid people the optimal cholesterol would probably have been lower. A Framingham study found that people over 50 were more likely to be demented if their cholesterol was below 200; if it was that low because of high thyroid function, I don't think it would be a problem.” (Dr. Ray Peat, www.RayPeat.com )

Circulation, the journal of the American Heart Asscn. (AHA), reported in Feb. 2006, that since statins were introduced to lower cholesterol, there has been a doubling (100%) increase in heart failure. Furthermore, a late study reveals that higher LDL (the so-called "bad" cholesterol), is "associated with decreasing mortality risk in older women." And for both older sexes, "fatal heart failure decreases with higher LDL levels." (Jnl. of the American Geriatric Society, Dec. 2005)

Grapelander

The Cholesterol and Thyroid Connection

In very young people, the metabolic rate is very high, and the rapid conversion of cholesterol into pregnenolone, DHEA, and progesterone usually keeps the level of cholesterol in the blood low. In the 1930s, a rise in the concentration of cholesterol was considered to be one of the most reliable ways to diagnose hypothyroidism (1936 Yearbook of Neurology, Psychiatry, and Endocrinology, E.L. Sevringhaus, editor, Chicago, p. 533). With aging, the metabolic rate declines, and the increase of cholesterol with aging is probably a spontaneous regulatory process, supporting the synthesis of the protective steroids, especially the neurosteroids in the brain and retina.” -Ray Peat, PhD

“High cholesterol compensates for low thyroid, keeping your pregnenolone, progesterone, and DHEA up. Sugar allows you to dispose of free fatty acids by turning them into triglycerides for storage. Free fatty acids activate stress hormones, which in turn cause the synthesis of fatty acids, even from the breakdown of amino acids, derived from protein by the action of cortisol. When cholesterol is that high, it’s almost always because of low thyroid activity, and stored PUFA are probably the commonest cause of that. I think free fatty acids, and their degree of unsaturation, would be the most meaningful blood lipids to test, but it’s easier to test for cholesterol and triglycerides.” -Ray Peat, PhD

“The accumulation of cholesterol clearly indicates the failure to convert it to steroids, so elevated cholesterol is a fairly reliable diagnostic indicator of hypothyroidism.” -Ray Peat, PhD

“Cholesterol is used rapidly under the influence of T3, and ever since the 1930s it has been clear that serum cholesterol rises in hypothyroidism, and is very useful diagnostically.” -Ray Peat, PhD

P

Peatness

Vitamin A toxcity link?

mamakitty

3-5 grams of Amla powder a day. Lowered my LDL by 50% from 130 to 65 mg/dl in 4 weeks.

Have a look at the study I attached. Just mind-blowing effects of just 1,2 or 3 grams of amla on LDL and triglycerides reduction, HDL increase and blood glucose lowering effects, in just 3 weeks, and btw in humans.

Edit: The study has a control group, a group of healthy people treated with amla and a group of diabetic people treated with amla. Even in the diabetic group, Amla showed remarkable results.
That’s very interesting. Does amila have side effects? Does it impact kidney function? Raise blood pressure?

That advice is equivalent of telling a cripple to just start walking
No it's not, and your comment doesn't add anything to this thread. 99% of mainstream doctors don't even acknowledge the connection between cholesterol and thyroid function. It's virtually always "cut down on the eggs" or prescribing a statin. A century ago people with elevated cholesterol used to get their thyroids examined ASAP.

mamakitty

No it's not, and your comment doesn't add anything to this thread. 99% of mainstream doctors don't even acknowledge the connection between cholesterol and thyroid function. It's virtually always "cut down on the eggs" or prescribing a statin. A century ago people with elevated cholesterol used to get their thyroids examined ASAP.
You said increase your thyroid function without suggesting any potential ways how to do that. It is like telling a fat person to stop being fat.
Not helpful.

You said increase your thyroid function without suggesting any potential ways how to do that. It is like telling a fat person to stop being fat.
Not helpful.
I don't give anyone steps or prescriptions, I only point them in the right direction, which aligns with Peat.

Hence the quote on the top-left of this forum which I'll paste since you're relatively new: "Perceive, Think, Act."

If you want cookie-cutter advice and how-tos you can go to Keto and Carnivore forums.

And given the fact that he said he's been Peating since 2016 but still has high LDL, I told him to take T3, which lowers cholesterol.

Whatever health issues you have, I hope you get them figured out — must be in a very low energy state to nitpick such a simple comment.

mamakitty

I don't give anyone steps or prescriptions, I only point them in the right direction, which aligns with Peat.

Hence the quote on the top-left of this forum which I'll paste since you're relatively new: "Perceive, Think, Act."

If you want cookie-cutter advice and how-tos you can go to Keto and Carnivore forums.

And given the fact that he said he's been Peating since 2016 but still has high LDL, I told him to take T3, which lowers cholesterol.

Whatever health issues you have, I hope you get them figured out — must be in a very low energy state to nitpick such a simple comment.
Sure, keep blaming the “very low energy state” for anyone pointing out a lack of input.
In your first comment, you didnt tell him to take t3. You simply said “increase your thyroid”, without as much as a hint to how.
Anyway, I’m not interested in bickering with you. Glad your health issues are resolved.

P

Peatness

Two hundred grams of raw carrot eaten at breakfast each day for 3 weeks significantly reduced serum cholesterol by 11%, increased fecal bile acid and fat excretion by 50%, and modestly increased stool weight by 25%. This suggests an associated change in bacterial flora or metabolism. The changes in serum cholesterol, fecal bile acids, and fat persisted 3 weeks after stopping treatment.