Doctors have no idea why my TSH is .04, and low T3 and low T4. I am on WP Thyroid 90mg.I have low iron, hair loss, 325 cholesterol, HDL 92 and LDL 242

morrisonfam

As stated in my post: Doctors have no idea why my TSH is .04, and low T3 and low T4. I am on WP Thyroid 90mg.I have low iron, hair loss, 325 cholesterol, HDL 92 and LDL 242
I really need help. I a a 66year young female, run 5 miles daily, ride my bike 15 miles daily and walk one mile daily. I take daily 45 minute saunas everyday, have a healthy diet and work as a massage therapist. I am 5'2" and 105 lbs.

aliml

By taking thyroid hormones you might be making your condition worse. Taking excessive amounts of thyroid hormone medication can signal the brain to decrease TSH. The decrease in thyroid function could be reversed by giving NAC.

LPS (a bacterial toxin) suppresses the production of TRH, TSH, and T3 levels. Thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH) is a hormone produced in the hypothalamus. It stimulates the release of TSH, which then increases thyroid hormones.

Vileplume

Dr. Peat has talked about studies in young men, where even after like 20 minutes walking, their circulating T3 decreased. I've heard Georgi mention that long distance runners have notably worse metabolisms and thyroid function. I would stop running 5 miles a day, stop biking, and just walk. No more running or biking for now, is my advice.

Plus, that's a lot of time in the sauna. Too much external heat can place too much energy demand on your body, and if you don't have enough nutrition to support it, it can cause a lot of stress and do damage. In Ray's January 2021 newsletter he talked about heat shock proteins (HSP), which increase when you externally force your body temperature up, and how the HSP increase with aging, increase estrogen, and directly antagonize progesterone synthesis and function. Here are three relevant quotations from the newsletter:

I'm thinking about the damage that can be done by the increasing popularity of sauna treatments, and various kinds of 'hyperthermic therapy for cancer,' usually disregarding the actual internal temperature of the tissues as well as the general state of the organism.
Increasing temperature increases the rate of energy use, while lower temperature lowers the rate of energy use. When energy availability matches energy needs, there is no heat stress. The HSP chaperone function can slow the degradation of proteins under stress; if the HSPs were to be named in the present, they would be called the 'energy deprivation stabilizing proteins.'
These interactions help us to understand the benefits and dangers of a warm bath or a sauna. At bedtime, a mild warm bath can compensate for low internal heat production, increasing the metabolic rate and helping to increase glycogen stores and increase progesterone level, making deep restorative sleep possible. But if the bath is too warm or too prolonged, or if estrogen's influence is too great, the increased metabolic rate can intensify the inefficient metabolism further depleting energy stores, and leading to higher stress hormones. Having extra carbohydrate before and during the warm bath improves its therapeutic function, and decreases the risk of heat shock.

I think the thyroid is helping, so I would stick with the thyroid. Instead, I would cut out the sauna, bike-riding and the running entirely. Also, I would add progesterone if you don't already take it, to heal some of the estrogenic damage that has probably been done with the sauna and excessive cardio exercise. What is your diet like? Please describe it in more detail.

Last edited:

Vadim

Its normal to have suppressed TSH while on natural thyroid med. So don't look at it, just watch your free t4 and t3. You also need to check your ferritin level - you need it to be at least 100. If your ferritin is low your thyroid tabs just won't work. Also good to check B12, folate, D3, magnesium, zinc, selenium.

joyintheworld

As stated in my post: Doctors have no idea why my TSH is .04, and low T3 and low T4. I am on WP Thyroid 90mg.I have low iron, hair loss, 325 cholesterol, HDL 92 and LDL 242
I really need help. I a a 66year young female, run 5 miles daily, ride my bike 15 miles daily and walk one mile daily. I take daily 45 minute saunas everyday, have a healthy diet and work as a massage therapist. I am 5'2" and 105 lbs.
Try taking T3 only not the combo. I'd recommend 50mcg

Birdie

A lot of people, and I am one of them, have found that WP's formula that changed no longer works. Armour is working for some. Also Cynoplus from Mexico which Ray has talked about.

Scout88at

Stop exercising so much! That much exercise in an energy depleted state is definitely doing more harm than good. I suggest pivoting to only 3x45min sessions of moderate resistance training AT MOST for the time being. Only do sauna for 30min on the days you don’t work out and be sure to be in a fed/mineralized/hydrated state before going in and eating a meal when you get out. But I can’t stress enough that you must scale back on the exercise at the moment if you want to improve. You’re in no state to do that much.

Also it would help to know what you consider a “healthy diet” because someone who is nourishing themselves and stressing themselves appropriately shouldn’t have these symptoms

Beastmode

I a a 66year young female, run 5 miles daily, ride my bike 15 miles daily and walk one mile daily. I take daily 45 minute saunas everyday, have a healthy diet and work as a massage therapist. I am 5'2" and 105 lbs.

With all due respect, what you're currently doing doesn't indicate being healthy.

Considering cutting all that cardio down to some light walks and see how you feel in a month. Also, that's a ridiculous amount of sauna time per day. How are you keeping your blood sugar up during these bouts of stress?

High cholesterol indicates low thyroid function. Remove the stressors before anything as that might make enough change. Also, make sure you're eating enough carbs.

Diokine

I would consider getting your pituitary checked. Persistently high ACTH can increase cholesterol, and could progress to hypopituitarism.

Neo

What would make you punish your body like that especially if you're clearly stressed. Stop doing the excessively long saunas, and drink a sugared latte and coke while you do them. Stop the breathless exercise immediately, you will be able to reincorporate it later when you're less stressed, but the frequency is too much. Walk 2 miles instead.

chompie

You certainly ought to get your iron up. Iron bisglycinate seems to be there best tolerated by most people.

How do you feel? Are your temps and pulse up? Cold extremities?

OP
M

morrisonfam

Dr. Peat has talked about studies in young men, where even after like 20 minutes walking, their circulating T3 decreased. I've heard Georgi mention that long distance runners have notably worse metabolisms and thyroid function. I would stop running 5 miles a day, stop biking, and just walk. No more running or biking for now, is my advice.

Plus, that's a lot of time in the sauna. Too much external heat can place too much energy demand on your body, and if you don't have enough nutrition to support it, it can cause a lot of stress and do damage. In Ray's January 2021 newsletter he talked about heat shock proteins (HSP), which increase when you externally force your body temperature up, and how the HSP increase with aging, increase estrogen, and directly antagonize progesterone synthesis and function. Here are three relevant quotations from the newsletter:

I'm thinking about the damage that can be done by the increasing popularity of sauna treatments, and various kinds of 'hyperthermic therapy for cancer,' usually disregarding the actual internal temperature of the tissues as well as the general state of the organism.
Increasing temperature increases the rate of energy use, while lower temperature lowers the rate of energy use. When energy availability matches energy needs, there is no heat stress. The HSP chaperone function can slow the degradation of proteins under stress; if the HSPs were to be named in the present, they would be called the 'energy deprivation stabilizing proteins.'
These interactions help us to understand the benefits and dangers of a warm bath or a sauna. At bedtime, a mild warm bath can compensate for low internal heat production, increasing the metabolic rate and helping to increase glycogen stores and increase progesterone level, making deep restorative sleep possible. But if the bath is too warm or too prolonged, or if estrogen's influence is too great, the increased metabolic rate can intensify the inefficient metabolism further depleting energy stores, and leading to higher stress hormones. Having extra carbohydrate before and during the warm bath improves its therapeutic function, and decreases the risk of heat shock.

I think the thyroid is helping, so I would stick with the thyroid. Instead, I would cut out the sauna, bike-riding and the running entirely. Also, I would add progesterone if you don't already take it, to heal some of the estrogenic damage that has probably been done with the sauna and excessive cardio exercise. What is your diet like? Please describe it in more detail.
I eat about 4 ounces of red meat daily. I do drink 2 cups of coffee with 1/2 and 1/2 and sugar. I have oatmeal for dinner and eggs. I drink a good amount of water and take magnesium 400 mg daily, vitamin D3 5,000 iu's daily, hawthorne, selenium, vitamin K2, digestive enzymes, vitamin C made from food, Multi Mineral from Standard Process, Cataplex B from Standard Process. I do not run fast it is more lie a jog. I tried T3 and it did not make a difference. I do have a pitutary adenoma which may affect my thyroid but the doctors do not think so. An increase in carbohydrates sky rockets my glucose. I wore a Continous Gluscose monitor for a while. My iron is low and I have taken progesterone and just stopped last month. My temp. lis about 97.4 and has been for years. My diet has been low in estrogen, no soy, plastics or vegetables that deplete thyroid function.

OP
M

morrisonfam

You certainly ought to get your iron up. Iron bisglycinate seems to be there best tolerated by most people.

How do you feel? Are your temps and pulse up? Cold extremities?
I have always been cold, my temp is 97.4 and my pulse hovers around 50-60. I just started taking iron bisglycinate. I have been bothered with digestive problems and have tested for H. Pylori twice and it cam back positive both times. I cannot take antibiotics they destroy me.

OP
M

morrisonfam

What would make you punish your body like that especially if you're clearly stressed. Stop doing the excessively long saunas, and drink a sugared latte and coke while you do them. Stop the breathless exercise immediately, you will be able to reincorporate it later when you're less stressed, but the frequency is too much. Walk 2 miles instead.
I have been doing what I do exercise wise for years. It seems to relive my stress. I listen to podcasts or books on tape and look forward to. it. I am type A and Italian. So rather than take drugs I prefer this. I am not exhausted after doing what I do, rather I feel Great.

OP
M

morrisonfam

I would consider getting your pituitary checked. Persistently high ACTH can increase cholesterol, and could progress to hypopituitarism.
What test would I get to test for the Pitutary? I am seeing a new doctor on Monday. Yes my cholester is high and it has always is. They blame it on my family genetics. I do not want to take statins as they always suggest. I tried the Keto Diet as many suggested and my cholesterol went through the roof, almost 400 and so did my LDL.
I am at a loss.

OP
M

morrisonfam

With all due respect, what you're currently doing doesn't indicate being healthy.

Considering cutting all that cardio down to some light walks and see how you feel in a month. Also, that's a ridiculous amount of sauna time per day. How are you keeping your blood sugar up during these bouts of stress?

High cholesterol indicates low thyroid function. Remove the stressors before anything as that might make enough change. Also, make sure you're eating enough carbs.
I tried cutting down on my exercise and saunas and nothing changed. I cannot eat more carbs it makes my blood sugar too high. I try to have a balance between carbs and protein. No matter what I do or the doctors prescribe thyroid or life style nothing changes. They said they have never seen anything like it. They are at a loss as well as I am. Believe me, I have tried everything for years.

OP
M

morrisonfam

By taking thyroid hormones you might be making your condition worse. Taking excessive amounts of thyroid hormone medication can signal the brain to decrease TSH. The decrease in thyroid function could be reversed by giving NAC.

LPS (a bacterial toxin) suppresses the production of TRH, TSH, and T3 levels. Thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH) is a hormone produced in the hypothalamus. It stimulates the release of TSH, which then increases thyroid hormones.

I wanted to try TRH but the Lab. discontinued the test so the doctor will not prescribe it. He has nothing to go by or monitor it. I discussed it with him. I have tried higher amounts of thyroid 120 mg down to 30mg either Armour, WP or Nature Thyroid. No change. I have tried Synthroid, Levothyroixin (spelling may be incorrect) and Levoxyl (spelling may be incorrect). I have tried T3 by itself and in combination with thyroid. Did not change my numbers. It seems the TSH never changes. The T3 and T4 change a little. I do have H. Pylori but cannot take antibiotics.

Scout88at

I highly suggest working with a coach or practitioner of some sorts who can create some consistency, structure, and direction around some of these interventions. It’s sounds like you are underrating, over stressed - mainly from your exercise routine and supplementing incorrectly for what you currently need.

Peatful

Hi @morrisonfam

You’ve gotten some sound guidance here.
Yet I see you explaining vs contemplating.
It’s essential to be prudent, but I hope you are also open.

Anyway- you answered your own question or medical mystery in your original post.
The answer is obvious.

Phosphor

Not having read any of it but the initial post: My pattern was always free T4 was ok, free T3 was low, no one wanted to give me more thyroid because my TSH was also on the low side.

A few months ago I started taking five drops of Lugol's 2% to try to get fluoride out of my system. Well, I took a lot more than that for a few weeks, and ended up probably a bit over-dosed because I stopped sleeping and had to quit for a couple weeks; then I resumed at the five drops, dissolved in the water I drink daily, not all at once. I also got back all the freckles I had as a kid; the iodine was allowing me to make melanin again.

I "suddenly" got back my energy and motivation, ability to concentrate, even my balance, that have been missing for the last five years. Just like that, after about six weeks. Iodine has given me my life back.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals