Histamine reaction on lips

Lanthir

Howdy, new to forums, greetings!

Friday morning, I woke up with tiny little "bubbles" on lips. They were a little itchy and my upper lip was kind of swollen. I figured this was a histamine reaction. Yesterday I went and got some dye free Benedryl gel caps and I have been taking 2 every six hours but with no improvement. The little bubbles leak clear fluid, gross I know. It has only spread and increased in swelling and moved to other side of mouth and now the bottom lip this morning. I have always had Oral Allergy to some fruits since I was a child, but most Peat approved fruits I don't notice it at all and I have never gotten any reaction to this extent. I did eat a mango a day for three days before this occurred and that seems too be the only thing I have changed. I am upping my bag breathing, took some healthy salt dosages yesterday...and I was curious if anyone had any recommendations on how much sugar and salt I should be taking daily? I've also upped my coconut oil. Ive scoured the forums for info on this kind of thing and sugar, salt, CO2 seem to be the main things you want to increase with histamine. I switched to the Peat reccomendations about 5 months ago. I'm female, 5'6" and 120lbs if that helps at all. Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

Mittir

I think mango is the possible source of problem. I have rarely seen
well ripened mangoes at store. I have seen people got sick just a day after
eating poorly ripened mangoes. My guess is that they add some kind of chemical
to change the color of the skin to make it look ripe. That is possibly a toxic chemical.
I also think farmers add more toxic pesticides to expensive fruits.
I usually eat a lot of sugar. I have seen improvement in allergy
when i keep drinking sweetened milk+coffee every 2-3 hours.
You can try small dose of cyproheptadine to lower histamine.
I have noticed whenever i ate food fried in PUFA oil for few days in a row
i got skin problems.

OP
L

Lanthir

I have to agree that it was the mangos. I kind of knew better than to eat so many so quickly but I didn't want them to go bad. It really is a shame though because they are the best mangos I've ever had. Very sweet and yellow, kind of oblong, not like a regular mango. The brand is called Freska mangos from Costco, just as a warning to everyone. Thank you for the response Mittir, off to make some sugar milk.

Mittir

RP did mention that in an interview. But i thought since you had mangoes for
3 days, it is probably not that poison ivy allergy. Have you had this kind of problem
when you ate mangoes in the past?
Edit: Here is post i made about mango allergy.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20&start=70#p27282

paper_clips43

Woah I am pretty sure I had this exact issue a few years back.

I would notice anytime after eating mango, especially if I got some on my lips and cheeks, it would get very red and itchy.

Also lately I have been eating 1 or 2 mangoes every day that I buy from the farmers market here in Hawaii and haven't noticed any negative symptoms at all.

OP
L

Lanthir

I've really only eaten mangos a couple times before in my life and those times I cut it up and eat it. This time I pretty much palmed them and dove in face first.. :lol: I think it's that I did this and did it three days in a row.

Just read your post Mittir, very interesting. Also, as a sidenote, I just became allergic to poison ivy in the last 3 years. Never before had I gotten a poison ivy reaction. I'm 25 now and I first got a reaction around when I was 22.

Mittir

Did you move around the time poison ivy allergy started?
That article hypothesized that oral exposure to urushiol
helps to build tolerance to this substance. That is an odd
complication around a super tasty fruit. I think naturally grown
mangoes have less allergenic compounds. RP wrote how plants make
allergenic compounds when they are commercially cultivated under stressed condition.

OP
L

Lanthir

I didn't move, still live in the same place I grew up in, so yes, it is very strange. I have never eaten this type of mango before though. Like I mentioed before, it isn't green it's a bright yellow and kind of a pear shape. Not your usual looking mango and that's what piqued my interest in them. I was reading comments on that blog and it seems like quite a few people said that they had eaten mangos before and never gotten a reaction and then developed these symptoms after eating them again at another time.

managing

The Freska mangoes are a variety called Nam Doc, developed about 10 years ago in Vietnam. Selective breeding, not GM or anything scary. The round, older variety is called a Julie mango and was developed in Miami by David Fairchild about 100yrs ago. I love the Nam Doc and Julie both when they are ripe. The Nam Doc tend to have less fibrous pulp. There is no doubt they are picked underripe and shipped. Not as bad as bananas. But mangos will ripen completely. So will bananas, but most people won't eat them like that because they are mushy and turning brown when they are ripe. Mangoes on the other hand ripen nicely off the tree. But you have to make sure they give way to the thumb before you eat them. And the skin has a lot of tannin, so best way to eat is separate into halves around the pit and then dig the flesh out with a spoon. Even in the tropics locals get rash from eating mangoes out of the skin.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals