Mitigating Histamine Reaction To Amino Acid Supplementation

Dean

Ok, I know Peat doesn't recommend aa supps, but 3+ years in without results...

A few weeks ago, I was experimenting with both the MAP protein replacement and the BCAA and phenylalanine for reducing serotonin. I was seeing some promising results, but had to abort due to hellacious histamine problems--namely a two week sinus pressure headache. I've struggled with these frequently for many years, especially also exasperated when I've experimented with processed gelatin and various protein powders over the years.

I have taken generic Allegra and zyrtec for years. I know they aren't Peat approved either, but both benadryl and cyproheptadine make me extremely depressed. During my aa experiment, I was also taking more than a tablespoon of salt and also using theanine. Both of which are often referred to here as natural antihistamines. I was also taking over 500 mg of caffeine powder, something I've seen conflicting information on regarding its relation to histamine.

So, what can I try on the histamine control front so I can try this again? Some things I'm considering trying: nasalcrom, DAO, pancreatic enzymes, capsuling the powders to slow release, non-instantized BCAA's (less processed?), mega vit. C supp (which upsets my GI, but more tolerable than the headache).

Are there certain aminos more likely to provoke histamines? Besides BCAA's and phenylalanine, I was also taking less often and/or lesser quantities: lysine,glycine, taurine, threonine, and beta alanine.

Thanks for any info or advice.

cairncra

Hi Dean,
I have histamine intolerance (HIT) and I understand the headache issues only too well. I manage mine with diet, mostly. For VItamin C you could try Twin Labs C, which is easy on the stomach and contains no citrus-- a big bonus for those of us with HIT. You could also check out The Low HIstamine Chef (blog and facebook) for well researched info on histamine issues. Her post on the histamine/inflammation bucket theory may be helpful.

nostalgic

A few weeks ago, I was experimenting with both the MAP protein replacement and the BCAA and phenylalanine for reducing serotonin. I was seeing some promising results, but had to abort due to hellacious histamine problems--namely a two week sinus pressure headache. I've struggled with these frequently for many years, especially also exasperated when I've experimented with processed gelatin and various protein powders over the years.

I have taken generic Allegra and zyrtec for years. I know they aren't Peat approved either, but both benadryl and cyproheptadine make me extremely depressed. During my aa experiment, I was also taking more than a tablespoon of salt and also using theanine. Both of which are often referred to here as natural antihistamines. I was also taking over 500 mg of caffeine powder, something I've seen conflicting information on regarding its relation to histamine.

So, what can I try on the histamine control front so I can try this again? Some things I'm considering trying: nasalcrom, DAO, pancreatic enzymes, capsuling the powders to slow release, non-instantized BCAA's (less processed?), mega vit. C supp (which upsets my GI, but more tolerable than the headache).

Are there certain aminos more likely to provoke histamines? Besides BCAA's and phenylalanine, I was also taking less often and/or lesser quantities: lysine,glycine, taurine, threonine, and beta alanine.

Did you find any relief? Quercetin should help from what I read online but it also raises serotonin if I remember correctly.

Kang

The real "natural" antihistamine is Beta Alanine.
We use Beta alanine in Amino Pro because it will combine with histidine and form carnosine. Not only is carnosine beneficial but this will lower the amount of available histidine used to manufacture things like histamine. Carnosine is also very expensive to manufacture or buy so getting it for free is an added benefit!

Check out the Impower Supplements page on Facebook.

Kang

The MAP formula has AA that's RP sees as problematic - why did you choose to use it if you have issues with serotonin, tryptophan or histamine?
The product includes methionine and histidine, which I think is not optimal for anyone but especially not with what you are describing.

Nick21

I am wondering if you also experienced a histamine reaction from the BCAA? I think the collagen is certainly reacting poorly with me and I now understand it is because of the histidine. However, I am unclear concerning a reaction and BCAA. I am now considering beta alanine.

Maybe you’re suffering from impurities in the amino’s? Maybe you shouldn’t be taking them.

Not all Peaty, but the following all have helped me to tame histamine.

Avoiding nightshades with high fat meals. E.g. pizza

Avoiding fermented ‘live’ foods.

Limiting dairy to one meal a day.

MSM combined with Aspirin and Sucrose, Iodine, Boswellia, Zinc, Molybdenum

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals