Help With My 10 Year Old!

Candy

I have a 10 year old son who is very tall for his age, he has a lot of fat around his waist but he is not obese, I have always given him natural food, fruits, milk, meats. But I have limited his calories since it seemed to me that he ate too much and was afraid that he would become obese. Now that I've read Peat and that we are on a peat diet, should I let him eat whatever he asks for? I'm afraid of getting obese.

orewashin

Give him only healthy food and he can eat as much as he wants. If he’s fat, he may have a hormone problem.

mrchibbs

I have a 10 year old son who is very tall for his age, he has a lot of fat around his waist but he is not obese, I have always given him natural food, fruits, milk, meats. But I have limited his calories since it seemed to me that he ate too much and was afraid that he would become obese. Now that I've read Peat and that we are on a peat diet, should I let him eat whatever he asks for? I'm afraid of getting obese.

How is his thyroid function? Abnormal thyroid function can make children taller than they should be paradoxically. Does he have activities he can do outside? Has he found a sport he enjoys? These things are crucial, children need a lot of sun and a lot of physical activities.

I became fat around that age from psychological stress, and lack of activities. To that point I was always rail thin, and after a change of environment around 12-13 year old I became rail thin again for the next decade+

So no worries, he'll be fine, but changes are in order.

OP
Candy

Candy

[QUOTE = "orewashin, post: 553637, member: 11801"] Dele solo alimentos saludables y podrá comer tanto como quiera. Si está gordo, es posible que tenga un problema hormonal. [/ CITA]
[QUOTE = "orewashin, post: 553637, member: 11801"] Dele solo alimentos saludables y podrá comer tanto como quiera. Si está gordo, es posible que tenga un problema hormonal. [/ CITA]

He weighs 58 kilos and measures 1.57cm

orewashin

He weighs 58 kilos and measures 1.57cm
That doesn’t seem too tall or too fat. Did he hit puberty yet? He may be precocious.

gately

What are you feeding your child now that he's on a "Peat diet" and what's your reasoning from switching him from his previous diet which was made up of "natural foods, fruits, milk, and meats?" Was he eating grain and vegetables before, or was it purely composed of "fruit, milk, and meat?"

Peatful

Hi @Candy

I’m a mom of girls not boys- but I will tell you a general observation I’ve seen with them.
Before a growth spurt they gain some fat. Meaning I believe their body in its wisdom holds onto the fat prior to growing into itself- the fat is needed to grow healthily.

More to say- but cooking dinner here.

Don’t fret about this- especially if it’s isolated and he is not complaining of any other symptoms.
Kids need a lot of calories and nutrition- make sure he’s eating enough.
Take care.

OP
Candy

Candy

[QUOTE = "mrchibbs, post: 553643, member: 7363"] ¿Cómo está funcionando su tiroides? Paradójicamente, la función tiroidea anormal puede hacer que los niños sean más altos de lo que deberían. ¿Tiene actividades que pueda hacer al aire libre? ¿Ha encontrado un deporte que le guste? Estas cosas son cruciales, los niños necesitan mucho sol y muchas actividades físicas.

Engordé a esa edad por el estrés psicológico y la falta de actividades. Hasta ese punto, siempre fui delgado como un raíl, y después de un cambio de entorno alrededor de los 12-13 años, volví a adelgazar durante la próxima década +

Así que no se preocupe, estará bien, pero los cambios están en orden. [/ QUOTE]

I have never had a thyroid test. Since he was little he has done different types of sports. Right now swimming has just started. I have always thought that due to genetics she is tall since her paternal grandfather is tall and since she was a baby she is in the high percentile.

OP
Candy

Candy

That doesn’t seem too tall or too fat. Did he hit puberty yet? He may be precocious.

He has not yet entered puberty. Here in Mexico, if you are tall, all your friends reach the middle of your head or your shoulder. Since he was a baby, he has had a great appetite, I have seen the children of friends who barely finish an egg and my son 2 or three eggs, 3 cups of fruits, he always ate a fish fillet etc. Now 10 years old, he eats like an adult.

OP
Candy

Candy

What are you feeding your child now that he's on a "Peat diet" and what's your reasoning from switching him from his previous diet which was made up of "natural foods, fruits, milk, and meats?" Was he eating grain and vegetables before, or was it purely composed of "fruit, milk, and meat?"

I have not changed his diet, I mean the amount of food. For example I would serve 2 eggs, a glass of orange juice and a glass of milk and some fruit, for me it would be a complete plate but if he asks me for more and more, to what extent should I give him more until he no longer asks?

gately

I have not changed his diet, I mean the amount of food. For example I would serve 2 eggs, a glass of orange juice and a glass of milk and some fruit, for me it would be a complete plate but if he asks me for more and more, to what extent should I give him more until he no longer asks?
Sorry, I wasn’t asking about the amount of food, I was asking about the types of food. In your first post you said you had changed to a “Peat diet” so I took that to mean you’ve changed the types of food you are feeding him.

As for what amount, if he’s eating a wholesome and complete diet, then you should not restrict him food if he’s still hungry and not overweight. But the key word here is “complete.” If his diet is lacking in some way, then that’s something that needs to be corrected, and may be way he is (potentially) overeating. Hence, why I asked what his diet consisted of before changing to a “Peat diet” and what it consists of now.

Jessie

Diets for growing kids should be much less restrictive then that of grown adults. Only thing I would watch for is high amounts of PUFA. Kids need a generous amount of carbs and saturated fats to develop properly.

Try to sneak some liver in his diet if you can. Easy way is to grind it up in a little bit of hamburger. Mixing it into the hamburger meat like that makes it not taste bad and it'll substantially increase the amount of nutrients. He prolly won't go for the oysters, lol, but that's okay. See if he'll eat eggs and full-fat dairy.

Kids usually like milk, so if he drinks that let him have as much as he wants. Good calcium for the metabolism.

somuch4food

Try to sneak some liver in his diet if you can. Easy way is to grind it up in a little bit of hamburger. Mixing it into the hamburger meat like that makes it not taste bad and it'll substantially increase the amount of nutrients. He prolly won't go for the oysters, lol, but that's okay. See if he'll eat eggs and full-fat dairy.

It works well in a meat loaf, too. I've actually managed to make my toddler like oysters by mashing it on a toast with cheese and a little bit of mustard. The first bite is often the most difficult one. Now, he eats it almost every time I make it.

Jessie

@somuch4food Wow, that's great. I've never considered putting it in a meatloaf. Oysters seem like it would be a hard sell for a kid, guess you lucked out haha. Certainly something I would've avoided as a kid, lol.

Homemade custards are a good food kids will probably eat without much fuss. You can make a simple one out of milk, egg yolks, sugar/honey, and gelatin. Very simple, tasty, and quite nutritious.

Cooking a bunch of different fruits, blending them, adding gelatin, and letting it cool is a great way to make homemade jellos with no added crap. Something they will probably eat.

Recoen

My son likes oyster soup - 1/2 cup of beef bone broth, 1/2 cup of goat milk, can of oysters heated then blended together.

burtlancast

Hi @Candy

I’m a mom of girls not boys- but I will tell you a general observation I’ve seen with them.
Before a growth spurt they gain some fat. Meaning I believe their body in its wisdom holds onto the fat prior to growing into itself- the fat is needed to grow healthily.

It's well known kids will pack fat around 10 so their bodies prepare themselves for puberty.

This is a known and verifiable fact.

Peatful

It's well known kids will pack fat around 10 so their bodies prepare themselves for puberty.

This is a known and verifiable fact.
Ah. Well there you go....
Thank you.

Although I will add- I saw this throughout younger years- well before puberty.

Last edited:
OP
Candy

Candy

Sorry, I wasn’t asking about the amount of food, I was asking about the types of food. In your first post you said you had changed to a “Peat diet” so I took that to mean you’ve changed the types of food you are feeding him.

As for what amount, if he’s eating a wholesome and complete diet, then you should not restrict him food if he’s still hungry and not overweight. But the key word here is “complete.” If his diet is lacking in some way, then that’s something that needs to be corrected, and may be way he is (potentially) overeating. Hence, why I asked what his diet consisted of before changing to a “Peat diet” and what it consists of now.
Well I wanted to tell the amount, because before peat, I would only have a glass of milk or a glass of orange juice for breakfast, now I drink half a liter or a liter a day, before peat eggs, meats, seafood, legumes from time to time, lots of fruits, and my son has a good appetite from 1 to 6 years old, he was thin from 6 to 10 he began to accumulate fat in his abdomen.

OP
Candy

Candy

Ah. Well there you go....
Thank you.

Although I will add- I saw this throughout younger years- well before puberty.

If in fact my son from 1 to 6 years old was thin from the age of 6 he began to accumulate fat

gately

Well I wanted to tell the amount, because before peat, I would only have a glass of milk or a glass of orange juice for breakfast, now I drink half a liter or a liter a day, before peat eggs, meats, seafood, legumes from time to time, lots of fruits, and my son has a good appetite from 1 to 6 years old, he was thin from 6 to 10 he began to accumulate fat in his abdomen.

I can't tell if this is a language issue or if you're deliberately not answering my question as to what your son ate before "peat" and after "peat." Regardless, I'm frustrated asking the question over and over again, so I'm going to quit and just be direct: If your child isn't overweight, stop worrying about him eating more, as others have pointed out. And please feed your 10-year-old child a diet of more than just meat, milk, and fruit. That is, very likely by the sound of it, a woefully incomplete diet for a ten year old. Feed your child a nutritionally complete diet based on thousands of years of tradition, not whatever version of a "peat diet" you've read about on the internet. Deficiencies at that age can be extremely damaging in his development.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals