Glycine And Stress

OP
JoshuaD

JoshuaD

Meat have plenty of glycine.

When I was on the Carnivore the only thing that gives me some stress relief and better sleep (temporarily) was Magnesium. You don't get enough eating only meat.

Probably you'll need some Calcium too.

Only meat diet is not optimal, you need organs, tendons, skins and bones.
I eat nose to tail. Pretty much all of it. Especially liver.
Plus I do Epsom salt baths 3x week.
Calcium I don't know. All I know is I haven't brushed my teeth for 8 years and have 0 holes. I do martial arts and bones seem to be doing fine. I'm 48.

boris

I wonder why some people seem to be doing fine on carnivore long term and others go south quickly. For me it really slowed my metabolism and exacerbated many underlying conditions.

@JoshuaD When you say nose to tail do you eat thyroid too?

OP
JoshuaD

JoshuaD

I wonder why some people seem to be doing fine on carnivore long term and others go south quickly. For me it really slowed my metabolism and exacerbated many underlying conditions.

@JoshuaD When you say nose to tail do you eat thyroid too?

No not thyroid. Pretty sure that would be creating an issue long term.
Carnivore is for sure not for everyone. I suspect the gut microbiome is so different in some people they react very differently to this kind of extreme diet.
I'm from a Scandinavian country so I suspect my ancestral genetics is geared for this more than most others. I can handle lactose easily as an example.
I really have no idea. Diet is such a mystery to me and I steer clear from advising anyone around this topic. We really need to listen to our bodies on this one.
All I know is it took me 6-7 years to get over my carb/sugar addictions despite it was obvious my body didn't do well on it. not to say it's bad for others. I know people thriving on carbs.

Im as baffeled as you are when I see thriving vegans.

boris

I can handle lactose easily as an example.

Do you drink milk then? Carnivore can be a pretty broad term. Some people include Honey, Cheese, and Milk in it. I'm sure that would have worked a little better for me. Still I would feel off without some minerals from fruit and greens.

Do you supplement anything besides glycine?

Hans

Forum Supporter
I take it isolated between food. Plus I'm on a carnivore diet. Eating 1-2 times a day.
The glycine on its own most likely causes hypoglycemia and that is what is causing the stress reaction. Try it out with a meal.

ExCarniv

Calcium I don't know. All I know is I haven't brushed my teeth for 8 years and have 0 holes. I do martial arts and bones seem to be doing fine. I'm 48.

1 year on Carnivore is still early to think that you don't need calcium, ancestral Carnivores ate the bones of the animals too.

OP
JoshuaD

JoshuaD

Do you drink milk then? Carnivore can be a pretty broad term. Some people include Honey, Cheese, and Milk in it. I'm sure that would have worked a little better for me. Still I would feel off without some minerals from fruit and greens.

Do you supplement anything besides glycine?

I'm doing the Methylated B complex. Molecular Hydrogen. Occasional play around with "new research" ideas such as trying out this Glycine etc. It just takes 1-2 months to get here so things go slow over here haha.
Yes, I eat all dairy products. Eggs, fish, etc. (many cannot do this without problems) and Andean mountain salt.
The dairy products here are straight from the animals. Never pasteurized or processed in any way. Free-range grass-fed. Same with the meat. There are no factory farms here. As I'm writing this I see cows roaming the Andes mountains on the other side of the valley. So they get their sunlight and wild grasses.
I just realized I'm not 100% honest as I do eat a spoonful of mixed seaweeds from the ocean on occasions when I remember.
Also(in case your interested) I do lots of sunbathing, Sauna and Icebath. Plus martial arts training, EWOT(exercise with oxygen therapy), breathwork, etc.
I moved here to live according to what I feel to be optimal. The water and air are as good as it gets. I live in what's called the "valley of longevity" as the environment is life-supporting and highly energetic. There are also many Vegans here thriving. Vegetarians and what not. So I am "cured" of my own delusions of the "perfect diet" every day when meeting these people.
I think one can finetune the diet all we want and still suffer bad health due to toxic environment. If you got 15 WiFi signals in some apartment building on the 10th floor disconnected from mother earth plus not getting real sunlight daily, sitting in front of a computer screen all-day, biology just isn't going to work with you regardless of supplements and diets.
There are so many assaults on humans in big cities it's not even funny anymore. Even if one navigates the "weaponized" foods and finds good sources and what your body thrives on there still is so much else to take you off balance.
Hence I left Scandinavia decades ago as its the same everywhere in the western world.
But even after all this, I'm beginning to see longevity and good health might have a lot more to do with having a purpose in life. Being needed and loved by the people around you. Having something to wake up to. Responsibilities and being there for others. You can biohack every single detail in your life but if your alone and miserable you will check out sooner than later either way.
That was a long rant.... sorry about that :)

boris

OP
JoshuaD

JoshuaD

Andes have very high quality living areas. Valle Sagrado and Colca Canyon in Peru are heaven on earth. Grazing cows, ripe fruit almost all year long, unbelievable variety of potatoes, steady temperatures.

These Peat articles related to co2 and altitude might interest you.
Protective CO2 and aging.
Genes, Carbon Dioxide and Adaptation.
Lactate vs. CO2 in wounds, sickness, and aging; the other approach to cancer
Altitude and Mortality
Very interesting. I'll check these links out.
I love this forum. just found it and its a treasure.

I think most of the inital benefits of carnivore come from starving bacteria.

The other day I tried an anti bacterial combo of activated charcoal + coconut oil + carrot and it reminded me of the feeling I got when originally doing carnivore.

Mind was calm & clear, had positive mood.

I suspect most people on carnivore simply have too much (bad) bacteria in their gut.

OP
JoshuaD

JoshuaD

I think most of the inital benefits of carnivore come from starving bacteria.

The other day I tried an anti bacterial combo of activated charcoal + coconut oil + carrot and it reminded me of the feeling I got when originally doing carnivore.

Mind was calm & clear, had positive mood.

I suspect most people on carnivore simply have too much (bad) bacteria in their gut.

You might be right. I honestly don't know.
How many here have tried a real 100% animal-based diet for over 1 year and felt bad?

Marcine

I started taking Glycine to lower my stress symptoms just about 4-5 days ago and it feels like its doing the opposite. I can't sleep well and I feel the tension in the body similar to when one ingested caffeine etc.

The first day or so it felt great. Then it did the opposite. Now I feel some kind of pressure in the chest each time I dose.

I started by taking 20 grams on the first day.
2nd day around 10 gr.
last 2 days around 2-4 grams. Still feeling stress from it.
Takes about 2-3 hours to go away.

I was taking it to heal joints and lower cortisol and blood sugar.

Now I'm not sure what to do here as its acting different than expected.

Any advice would be appreciated. Or an explanation.

Marcine

I live in Vilcabama. Can I buy that glycine from you if you are close by?
I went Peat after 1.5 years doing Carnivore. It might have been sustainable with honey but I tanked.

OP
JoshuaD

JoshuaD

I live in Vilcabama. Can I buy that glycine from you if you are close by?
I went Peat after 1.5 years doing Carnivore. It might have been sustainable with honey but I tanked.

Sorry, the Glycine I have took a lot of time to arrive and I will keep it.

Im told they sell collagen in the pharmacies here. Have you seen that? Should contain lots of Glycine.

Did you just eat muscle meats? Or organs too?
I don't doubt plenty cant function on a carnivore diet. Its pretty extreme and limiting. It's not for most people.
Glad you found something that works for you.

Last edited:

redsun

Sorry, the Glycine I have took a lot of time to arrive and I will keep it.

Did you just eat muscle meats? Or organs too?
I don't doubt plenty cant function on a carnivore diet. Its pretty extreme and limiting. It's not for most people.
Glad you found something that works for you.

Any diet that restricts any macronutrient is not sustainable in my opinion. This is why carnivore should be done with carbs from honey at least. You can restrict carbs for a short time to adapt and then put them back in as honey, dairy, and fruit.

Even sv3rige, the main raw carnivore youtuber eats fruit. I think he is more a raw food meat-based dieter then anything else and he makes an excuse that he eats fruits for hydration. In reality, yes humans do not need dietary carbohydrates but it does in the literal sense slow you down when you do not consume carbohydrates.

The mind is still fast without carbs from what I recall being low carb but the muscles, the whole body slow down so as the not put pressure on sugar metabolism which is exactly what happens when you try to sprint or do explosive things of any kind or just try to speed up when you walk or when you are doing something and need to do it faster or most of any kind of physical activity.

I was much less active when I started low carb as a teenager. And physically I tended to move slower. I think being physically active and then not being able to be active because you are low on glucose supply is not good, especially as a teen who is supposed to be energetic and lively.

Of course we have the opposite on this forum where some people are trying to make tons of carbs work for their digestion, their energy, and all this while neglecting protein and fat. Eating mountains of carbs daily and can't do a 1 hour weight lifting workout without getting a severe stress response and then proceed to have zero energy for the next few days while pounding down more sugar, aspirin, and caffeine attempting to recover. And no I am not making this up, I have actually seen these kind of posts here.

OP
JoshuaD

JoshuaD

Any diet that restricts any macronutrient is not sustainable in my opinion. This is why carnivore should be done with carbs from honey at least. You can restrict carbs for a short time to adapt and then put them back in as honey, dairy, and fruit.

Even sv3rige, the main raw carnivore youtuber eats fruit. I think he is more a raw food meat-based dieter then anything else and he makes an excuse that he eats fruits for hydration. In reality, yes humans do not need dietary carbohydrates but it does in the literal sense slow you down when you do not consume carbohydrates.

The mind is still fast without carbs from what I recall being low carb but the muscles, the whole body slow down so as the not put pressure on sugar metabolism which is exactly what happens when you try to sprint or do explosive things of any kind or just try to speed up when you walk or when you are doing something and need to do it faster or most of any kind of physical activity.

I was much less active when I started low carb as a teenager. And physically I tended to move slower. I think being physically active and then not being able to be active because you are low on glucose supply is not good, especially as a teen who is supposed to be energetic and lively.

Of course we have the opposite on this forum where some people are trying to make tons of carbs work for their digestion, their energy, and all this while neglecting protein and fat. Eating mountains of carbs daily and can't do a 1 hour weight lifting workout without getting a severe stress response and then proceed to have zero energy for the next few days while pounding down more sugar, aspirin, and caffeine attempting to recover. And no I am not making this up, I have actually seen these kind of posts here.

I'm not going to disagree with this. And I'm always open to change the diet if it doesn't feel good anymore in my body. In fact, I think ill try carb-up 1x a week now just to feel how that will be.
And I think your spot on with keeping it balanced overall.
My own personal anecdotal experience with teaching martial arts 6x a week on Carnivore is great energy and strength-wise. But that doesn't say much about how others will feel.

redsun

I'm not going to disagree with this. And I'm always open to change the diet if it doesn't feel good anymore in my body. In fact, I think ill try carb-up 1x a week now just to feel how that will be.
And I think your spot on with keeping it balanced overall.
My own personal anecdotal experience with teaching martial arts 6x a week on Carnivore is great energy and strength-wise. But that doesn't say much about how others will feel.

If you do plan on a "carb-up" then it obviously would be best with honey and dairy foremost. In the long run increased carbs will put less stress on the system to provide glucose. You may find with time you dont even need 300g, but you are good with 200g or 150g. Or you are eating 400g+ and feel good. Its important to just be aware and eat more intuitively with carbs if you do add them back in.

OP
JoshuaD

JoshuaD

If you do plan on a "carb-up" then it obviously would be best with honey and dairy foremost. In the long run increased carbs will put less stress on the system to provide glucose. You may find with time you dont even need 300g, but you are good with 200g or 150g. Or you are eating 400g+ and feel good. Its important to just be aware and eat more intuitively with carbs if you do add them back in.
Why wouldn't it be just as good to carb up with rice? Or potatoes?

redsun

Why wouldn't it be just as good to carb up with rice? Or potatoes?

White rice would be good to try first as it is very light on the system and absorbs quickly. I am saying you avoid the possible irritation from plant foods initially with carbs. That way you don't mistake carbs with causing bad reactions when in fact you are reacting to a specific plant food. But I think white rice shouldnt cause any reactions for anybody and is a great carb source to try when adding carbs back in for the first time.

You may do good with potatoes as well. I am not saying don't try it, that's the only way you are going to know if you do good with them but just be aware that certain plant foods may cause reactions initially. You may feel completely fine from potatoes. Just be aware that plants can be irritating for the first time when you have been on the least gut-irritating diet in the world.

OP
JoshuaD

JoshuaD

White rice would be good to try first as it is very light on the system and absorbs quickly. I am saying you avoid the possible irritation from plant foods initially with carbs. That way you don't mistake carbs with causing bad reactions when in fact you are reacting to a specific plant food. But I think white rice shouldnt cause any reactions for anybody and is a great carb source to try when adding carbs back in for the first time.

You may do good with potatoes as well. I am not saying don't try it, that's the only way you are going to know if you do good with them but just be aware that certain plant foods may cause reactions initially. You may feel completely fine from potatoes. Just be aware that plants can be irritating for the first time when you have been on the least gut-irritating diet in the world.

Ok got it. I'll try some honey first and see the reaction. Good to experiment a little sometimes.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals