Glycine And Libido

Jing

Can glycine cause low libido and poor erections? I've been taking about 5 grams of glycine before bed for past 2 weeks I think it is helping me sleep a little better but I'm finding it harder to wake up in the mornings and I've noticed my libido and erections are worse than before not sure if anything else is the problem.

Frankdee20

Can glycine cause low libido and poor erections? I've been taking about 5 grams of glycine before bed for past 2 weeks I think it is helping me sleep a little better but I'm finding it harder to wake up in the mornings and I've noticed my libido and erections are worse than before not sure if anything else is the problem.

Glycine is a downer or it can potentiate NMDA. Although it can upregulate 5 AR, when I take Mag Glycinate, I’m kind of blah.

mujuro

Forum Supporter
Maybe your GH levels are higher. I believe glycine enhances noctural GH secretion, which means more prolactin, lipolysis, cortisol, etc.

milk_lover

Yeah glycine kills my libido, maybe it's due to the containments in the supplement even though I use the pure ones. Taurine even with 'other ingredients' is much better for libido and erection in general.

OP
J

Jing

Dam, find something that helps in one area but causes problems in another area very annoying ..

try making your own gelatin imo, taking supplements messes you up, makes you upregulate or downregulate things we don't even know about, might as well make it natural from food

sunraiser

try making your own gelatin imo, taking supplements messes you up, makes you upregulate or downregulate things we don't even know about, might as well make it natural from food

If you live in the UK (maybe the USA or rest of Europe too?) a Vietnamese chain restaurant called "Pho" do variations of a bone broth with meat and herbs for £7-10.

No added ***t, so it's an option once or twice a week (if you enjoy it) to save messing around creating your own.

+1 to isolated aminos causing issues. Taurine and glycine / glycinate included. Anxiety plus insomnia from glycine isolates here.

Kartoffel

I believe glycine enhances noctural GH secretion, which means more prolactin, lipolysis, cortisol, etc.

Source?

Dam, find something that helps in one area but causes problems in another area very annoying ..

What problems does it cause? Stress can stimulate the production of estrogen and testosterone, and anything that turns of the stress reactions, or downregulates ACTH, might results in reduced libido. I can't think of any mechanism by which glycine would reduce teosterone/libido in the long-term. It is one of the most basic anti stress substances

OP
J

Jing

Source?

What problems does it cause? Stress can stimulate the production of estrogen and testosterone, and anything that turns of the stress reactions, or downregulates ACTH, might results in reduced libido. I can't think of any mechanism by which glycine would reduce teosterone/libido in the long-term. It is one of the most basic anti stress substances
It gives me erection problems and low libido and harder to wake up in the mornings and more fatigue throughout the day.

Kartoffel

It gives me erection problems and low libido and harder to wake up in the mornings and more fatigue throughout the day.

Interesting. So, you are feeling worse overall? What product are you using?

aguilaroja

I've been taking about 5 grams of glycine before bed for past 2 weeks I think it is helping me sleep a little better but I'm finding it harder to wake up in the mornings...
By description, over-sedation could be a major factor. It is possible the use of fairly large amount of glycine in late evening and apart from food could do this. Every nutrient response depends on context. @ecstatichamster 's point about gelatin compared with single amino acids is also useful. You might experiment with less glycine, or take some of the amount with the evening meal, or both.

Frankdee20

Glycine can be an inhibitory neurotransmitter after all, so yes, it can make one lethargic. That is not the same thing as saying isolated Aminos are problematic. That’s just a property of Glycine itself.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals