Glycine And Stress

JoshuaD

I started taking Glycine to lower my stress symptoms just about 4-5 days ago and it feels like its doing the opposite. I can't sleep well and I feel the tension in the body similar to when one ingested caffeine etc.

The first day or so it felt great. Then it did the opposite. Now I feel some kind of pressure in the chest each time I dose.

I started by taking 20 grams on the first day.
2nd day around 10 gr.
last 2 days around 2-4 grams. Still feeling stress from it.
Takes about 2-3 hours to go away.

I was taking it to heal joints and lower cortisol and blood sugar.

Now I'm not sure what to do here as its acting different than expected.

Any advice would be appreciated. Or an explanation.

boris

Do you take it isolated?

Gelatin, stress, longevity
"A generous supply of glycine/gelatin, against a balanced background of amino acids, has a great variety of antistress actions."

"Some types of cell damage are prevented almost as well by alanine and proline as by glycine, so the use of gelatin, rather than glycine, is preferable, especially when the gelatin is associated with its normal biochemicals."

Do you take enough carbs with it? 20 grams of pure protein should be accompanied by at least the same amount if not double or triple of carbs to prevent a stress reaction.

OP
JoshuaD

JoshuaD

Do you take it isolated?

Gelatin, stress, longevity
"A generous supply of glycine/gelatin, against a balanced background of amino acids, has a great variety of antistress actions."

"Some types of cell damage are prevented almost as well by alanine and proline as by glycine, so the use of gelatin, rather than glycine, is preferable, especially when the gelatin is associated with its normal biochemicals."

Do you take enough carbs with it? 20 grams of pure protein should be accompanied by at least the same amount if not double or triple of carbs to prevent a stress reaction.

I take it isolated between food. Plus I'm on a carnivore diet. Eating 1-2 times a day.

boris

carnivore diet. Eating 1-2 times a day.
There you have your problem.

On a carnivore diet your body requires elevated cortisol for gluconeogenesis. Nothing you do will lower your cortisol if you don't change the diet.

boris

I didn't feel like this until I started the Glycine.

Try stopping the glycine and see if the problem persists. Sometimes it is a sort of placebo when you take something and expect an effect you start to notice small things and associate it with the new addition.

I had the same problems as you after a few months of carnivore. Couldn't fall asleep anymore because of high blood pressure and difficulty breathing because of tight chest feeling.

OP
JoshuaD

JoshuaD

So..... I would prefer to keep this thread around my Glycine question.
I'm aware I signed up on a forum that disagrees with my diet but there is great science in here and I was hoping to avoid the whole diet dialogue as off course I will be sticking out of the crowd.
I appreciate the links you send me but there really is no amount of words in any article the can override my own results and body intelligence.
This diet has cured my diabetes. Repaired bones and joints. Given me more energy than ever. Lifted my mood.
Carbs do all the opposite for me. Incl fruits. It's just what it is. There really is no one diet that fits all. I tried them all and I met people thriving on them all. And people getting sick on them all as well. So really its highly individual.
I wanted to try out glycine for its many benefits plus I do not get enough bone broth on a regular basis.

Now is it possible anyone can try to address the original question without judging or lecturing on diets here?

boris

I neither judged nor lectured you. I sent you the information because it was valuable to me when I was in your situation. And it seemed that you weren't aware of it.

I also gave you an explanation to your question, but you don't seem to be interested in it.

Again:
20 grams of pure protein should be accompanied by at least the same amount if not double or triple of carbs to prevent a stress reaction.

Reading the articles will give you all your answers.

Last edited:
OP
JoshuaD

JoshuaD

Try stopping the glycine and see if the problem persists. Sometimes it is a sort of placebo when you take something and expect an effect you start to notice small things and associate it with the new addition.

I had the same problems as you after a few months of carnivore. Couldn't fall asleep anymore because of high blood pressure and difficulty breathing because of tight chest feeling.

I have been carnivore for 1 year or so. Never had this issue before until the Glycine. I'll stop it now as you suggested but I'm still baffled about the reaction as its pretty much opposite everything I read on it.

lampofred

Glycine is known to cause hyperexcitability in excess. It agonizes NMDA receptors and increases brain excitation similar to an excess of caffeine. Niacinamide and theanine might help but a huge warning that niacinamide will horribly crash you if you're not eating carbs.

If that's not it, it could also be due to contaminants in the capsule or if you're taking it in the form of gelatin, due to heavy metals in the powder.

redsun

So..... I would prefer to keep this thread around my Glycine question.
I'm aware I signed up on a forum that disagrees with my diet but there is great science in here and I was hoping to avoid the whole diet dialogue as off course I will be sticking out of the crowd.
I appreciate the links you send me but there really is no amount of words in any article the can override my own results and body intelligence.
This diet has cured my diabetes. Repaired bones and joints. Given me more energy than ever. Lifted my mood.
Carbs do all the opposite for me. Incl fruits. It's just what it is. There really is no one diet that fits all. I tried them all and I met people thriving on them all. And people getting sick on them all as well. So really its highly individual.
I wanted to try out glycine for its many benefits plus I do not get enough bone broth on a regular basis.

Now is it possible anyone can try to address the original question without judging or lecturing on diets here?

I am an ex-carnivore here so I understand the insane benefits it can bring. Glycine could be messing with your ability to use fats effectively for energy which you normally do on carnivore. You should not be messing with glycine on carnivore tbh, its possible the very high amounts you are taking is reducing beta oxidation or messing with your normal methods of deriving energy on carnivore which is via carnitine, catecholamines, etc...

If your tension is similar to caffeine it is possible adrenaline is rising even higher then normal to compensate for reduced beta oxidation because of supplementary glycine. Caffeine raises adrenaline. If glycine is making you burn more sugar somehow instead of FFA then it will screw you up just like you described.

You should be getting ample glycine on carnivore. I understand you have reasons for doing it such as healing joints but it is better for you to increase intake of foods high in zinc, copper and other things to help joints on carnivore. I dont understand why you would need bone broth on carnivore, never did that personally. Meat has plenty of glycine in it.

OP
JoshuaD

JoshuaD

Glycine is known to cause hyperexcitability in excess. It agonizes NMDA receptors and increases brain excitation similar to an excess of caffeine. Niacinamide and theanine might help but a huge warning that niacinamide will horribly crash you if you're not eating carbs.

If that's not it, it could also be due to contaminants in the capsule or if you're taking it in the form of gelatin, due to heavy metals in the powder.

Ahaa I didn't know this. Makes sense. Thank you. I'm dropping this little experiment now.
I used pure glycine powder from a bulk seller on amazon. Bought 1 kg. It said there is nothing else in it. But who knows...

OP
JoshuaD

JoshuaD

I am an ex-carnivore here so I understand the insane benefits it can bring. Glycine could be messing with your ability to use fats effectively for energy which you normally do on carnivore. You should not be messing with glycine on carnivore tbh, its possible the very high amounts you are taking is reducing beta oxidation or messing with your normal methods of deriving energy on carnivore which is via carnitine, catecholamines, etc...

If your tension is similar to caffeine it is possible adrenaline is rising even higher then normal to compensate for reduced beta oxidation because of supplementary glycine. Caffeine raises adrenaline. If glycine is making you burn more sugar somehow instead of FFA then it will screw you up just like you described.

You should be getting ample glycine on carnivore. I understand you have reasons for doing it such as healing joints but it is better for you to increase intake of foods high in zinc, copper and other things to help joints on carnivore. I dont understand why you would need bone broth on carnivore, never did that personally. Meat has plenty of glycine in it.

Makes sense. damn ok...... back to basics. Just food. No playing around.
I did lots of bone broth several months ago and felt it was perfect. Just a lot of work to make it and wanted the powdery shortcut. Guess it didn't work out then.
Thank you very much for the feedback. Much appreciated.

OP
JoshuaD

JoshuaD

I neither judged nor lectured you. I sent you the information because it was valuable to me when I was in your situation. And it seemed that you weren't aware of it.

I also gave you an explanation to your question, but you don't seem to be interested in it.

Again:

Reading the articles will give you all your answers.

Ok, I'll check out the articles. Thank you.

Gone Peating

Makes sense. damn ok...... back to basics. Just food. No playing around.
I did lots of bone broth several months ago and felt it was perfect. Just a lot of work to make it and wanted the powdery shortcut. Guess it didn't work out then.
Thank you very much for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Store bought bone broth doesn’t have the same effects?

Goobz

It could also be that your starting dose of 20g was very high, especially as an isolated amino acid. It’s going to behave much more like a drug at that dosage.

OP
JoshuaD

JoshuaD

It could also be that your starting dose of 20g was very high, especially as an isolated amino acid. It’s going to behave much more like a drug at that dosage.
Yes, I'm off it now. Feeling back to normal.
I'll give it a couple of days and try 1gr. see how that feels.
Otherwise, it is just back to the good old bone broth :)

ExCarniv

Meat have plenty of glycine.

When I was on the Carnivore the only thing that gives me some stress relief and better sleep (temporarily) was Magnesium. You don't get enough eating only meat.

Probably you'll need some Calcium too.

Only meat diet is not optimal, you need organs, tendons, skins and bones.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals