Gardening

X3CyO

Hey anyone here try growing stuff. Gonna work on growing some okra and sweet potato. Papayas are pretty easy to grow here so im gonna try that out too.

Saw a pretty cool idea of using chicken wire, turning it into a barrel shape then filling it with hay and then potatoes. Looks like it might turn into a rat nest though. Probably will mix half dirt in there then.

lvysaur

Radishes are extremely easy to grow.

Herbs are the most bang for your buck, especially woody herbs like rosemary, thyme, oregano.

tara

It's very satisfying to harvest and eat your own fresh grown food.
Too cold where I am for sweet potatoes or papaya - lucky you if you have the climate for them. :)

Potatoes:
Start with a layer of straw - soil - compost.
Put seed potatoes in.
Cover with more straw etc.
As shoots come up, keep adding more straw, soil, compost, etc.
Or you can plant the in troughs in the ground.

Depending on climate, soil, sun, space and time available, etc, consider:
- fresh leafy greens, eg: kale, chard, spinach, parsley, etc.
- fruit veges like tomatoes, courgettes, cucumbers, pumpkins.
- whatever fruit you can grow in your climate - go for oranges if you can

If you've got space for a compost heap, you can reuse all your kitchen waste.

If you have trouble with rats, maybe get a trap or two and improve the neighbourhood. I think they like peanut butter for bait.

OP
X3CyO

X3CyO

Hey thanks @tara. My mom complains about it but now that I think about it, the neighbor's cats are pretty skinny. Maybe they'd benefit from the rats if they found their way in.

yeah im working on composting; I do the food scraps in one giant container, and I have a heap for shredded leaves and grass. Sticks... Idk. Ive had the idea of throwing them in holes and then turning them to charcoal but haven't had the opportunity

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals