Fructose: What's It Done For You Lately?

managing

Increases ghrelin which may:
  • reduce fertility
  • increase dopamine
  • correlates with (NOT causing) obesity, short sleep
  • increase hunger (????)
  • stimulates peristalsis
  • is anti-inflammatory of the bowel
  • stimulates release of growth hormone
  • inhibits insulin release
  • is anti-depressant (stimulates HPA axis)

I put ???? on increases hunger because I find exactly the opposite. Is it one of those things where assumptions are at play. If leptin decreases hunger, and ghrelin and leptin are inversely related, ghrelin must stimulate hunger?

OP
managing

managing

BTW, when I drink fructose in my milk, I feel both nostrils open wide. Not that I am congested before, I just feel them open and this sense that there is more air passing through them when I breathe. Systemic anti-inflammatory on mucous membranes?

mt_dreams

There's been lots of mention of fructose lately. Can anyone confirm if fructose crystals from corn are Peat friendly?

Until I can get some confirmation, I think I'm going to start substituting the ice cubes in my condensed milk, with apple juice ice cubes (taste permitting of course). This seems like it may have the same effect as the pure fructose.

haidut

Forum Supporter
managing said:
BTW, when I drink fructose in my milk, I feel both nostrils open wide. Not that I am congested before, I just feel them open and this sense that there is more air passing through them when I breathe. Systemic anti-inflammatory on mucous membranes?

The open nostrils are likely due to increased CO2 generation. It is known that fructose increases CO2 more than glucose due to less generation of lactic acid. Lowering inflammation in the gut will also lead to better breathing. Chronic nose congestion is a symptom of gut irritation/inflammation.

haidut

Forum Supporter
managing said:
  • reduce fertility
  • increase dopamine
  • increase hunger (????)
  • stimulates peristalsis

I put ???? on increases hunger because I find exactly the opposite. Is it one of those things where assumptions are at play. If leptin decreases hunger, and ghrelin and leptin are inversely related, ghrelin must stimulate hunger?

Ghrelin is known as the "hunger hormone", so if fructose is known to increases that then it is no surprise that it increases hunger. In my experience it does increase hunger but also makes me more energetic, unlike glucose that makes me hungry and lazy at the same time, probably due to insulin spikes and lactate.
Do you have some studies for those claims above?

haidut said:
Ghrelin is known as the "hunger hormone", so if fructose is known to increases that then it is no surprise that it increases hunger. In my experience it does increase hunger but also makes me more energetic, unlike glucose that makes me hungry and lazy at the same time, probably due to insulin spikes and lactate.
Do you have some studies for those claims above?
Like with the PUFAs link you posted, studies on fructose suffer from a confirmation bias, or, in Peat's view, corrupt patrinomy.

Peat suggests that the patrinomy bias that leptin (and satiety) is good is the real problem in the studies being conducted. What if hunger, stimulated by fructose in abundant fruit, is good? And signals that metabolic rate should be increased? Just as the orangutan's body temperature soars from 95 to 98 when it finds ripe fruit?

What if satiety, stimulated by starch or other less than optimal food, is bad? And therefore signals metabolic rate should be decreased? Just as the orangutan's body temperature plummets from 98 back to 95, about the level of a sloth, when it cannot find ripe fruit?

Here is an example of a study that suffers from this bias: satiety/insulin/leptin == good; hunger/ghrelin == bad;
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15181085
The study concludes: "Because insulin and leptin, and possibly ghrelin, function as key signals to the central nervous system in the long-term regulation of energy balance, decreases of circulating insulin and leptin and increased ghrelin concentrations, as demonstrated in this study, could lead to increased caloric intake and ultimately contribute to weight gain and obesity during chronic consumption of diets high in fructose."

Stripped of the bias, this same conclusion could read, " ... ultimately contribute to increased metabolic rates and gains in lean body mass during optimal consumption of diets high in fructose.

dukez07

managing said:
  • reduce fertility
  • increase dopamine
  • increase hunger (????)
  • stimulates peristalsis

Stimulating hunger and increasing hunger are the same thing. How does that contradict what you were thinking? Leptin decreases hunger, and ghrelin stimulates it. Seems quite simple to me.

It highlights a benefit that starch has over fructose, for me. Nothing satiates me like starch does. With fructose, I feel like a crack addict who always goes back for more. That's why on a fruitarian diet, they have to get in a ridiculous amount of calories in order to feel full. Look at these guys who are on 30 bananas a day. Some of the males are on 5,000 calories + just to keep hunger at bay, so they can 'succeed' with their diet. Yet, in most cases, no weight gain. So obviously doing something metabolically beneficial.

However, I don't know about other people, but sometimes, you get tired of being hungry. Potatoes, smothered in cheese and butter won't spike insulin as much as potatoes alone. But starch, in general, satiates me far better than a quart of OJ. Libido is also much more increased with starch in my diet, which isn't surprising when you are stimulating the anabolic hormone that is insulin. Sugar is also pretty good in this respect (and comes minus the potential gut issues you can get, with starch), but I have to use many tablespoons to get similar effects (usually taken with milk).

My observations are based on store bought fruit juices and OJ. I do plan on juicing my own oranges, when I finally buy a juicer. Perhaps the difference in quality will be like 'night and day'. I have stopped consuming any OJ and fruit juices that come from the store (all make me feel like ***t). Sugar, by itself, is much superior for me (no negative effects).

dukez07 said:
With fructose, I feel like a crack addict who always goes back for more. ... However, I don't know about other people, but sometimes, you get tired of being hungry.
dz, can you share what an all fructose/no starch diet has looked like for you in a day, using cronometer, if you don't mind, or giving actual amounts in grams or ounces? PM me if you'd prefer.

I'm doing some bio-hacking on the topic, to see how hungry is hungry when you have mostly fructose, if you know what I mean? It seems like you might, when you say, "With fructose, I feel like a crack addict"!

Also, can you point me to any sites where those "fruitarians" are? I've never met one, but I'd like to ask the same question. Thanks!

visionofstrength said:
Also, can you point me to any sites where those "fruitarians" are? I've never met one, but I'd like to ask the same question. Thanks!
I just found a few links where they talk about fruitarians eating 30 bananas a day, and I guess that's considered a lot?

But according to cronometer, while 30 bananas is 808 grams of carbs - and 3100 calories - it's really just 432 grams of sugar, which accounts for only 1,600 of those calories, and the rest is mostly starch and fiber.

For Peat, 432 grams is in the normal range for the sugar you'd need to digest 120-150 grams of protein, which again is in the normal range for daily protein, on a 3,000 calorie a day diet.

The takeway being: fruitarians don't eat much fruit sugar, and substitute starch and fiber for protein.

tara

dukez07 said:
That's why on a fruitarian diet, they have to get in a ridiculous amount of calories in order to feel full. Look at these guys who are on 30 bananas a day. Some of the males are on 5,000 calories + just to keep hunger at bay, so they can 'succeed' with their diet. Yet, in most cases, no weight gain. So obviously doing something metabolically beneficial.
Tangent - I gather some of them also do a very large amount of exercise, too. In that context 5000 calories is not ridiculous. Lots of serious athletes eat that much, don't they?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals