Freely Eating Sugar Ruined Me

Blinkyrocket

It seems like some people here selectively read only the parts they want to read and twist things out of context to fit their already-existing views. Peat would say rigidity/inflexibility isn't a sign of optimal functioning. No problem though because I still appreciate the time taken to help contribute to fixing my issue...

I definitely did not expect this thread to get so huge so quickly, so clearly many people still do have their doubts about sugar... I will respond in detail once I get to my laptop, but just a quick update that I caved and had a hearty meal of fries and fried chicken, and my appetite came back with a vengeance. My stomach also constantly rumbles (not a hunger-kind of grumble) after I eat sugar, so bacterial overgrowth is a high possibility. Definitely have very high acetylcholine symptoms, low dopamine symptoms. D2 stimulation is what increases cholinesterase, which destroys acetylcholine, so low D2 seems very real.
If it's bacteria, Berberine would be doubly useful, it's a highly effective antibacterial/ antimicrobial. Pau D'Arco is something Peat has talked about, not only does it have monoaminergic activity (including dopamine) and NMDA/ nitric oxide lowering properties, but it's a very good antibacterial/anti-candida as well.

Blinkyrocket

Mr. @Blinkyrocket, Sugar causes dankness. You know that right?
Especially "added" sugar don't ever add sugar.
Oh you have Google Scholar I forgot.... you already know what causes a TON of dankness.
And please we're in mixed company here don't talk about buttholes.
Sorry I had to tell the guy to ignore you, it hurts I know but it's for his good.

jitsmonkey

Also, there is literally a thread in the "similar threads" section below that says
Drinking Coke Freely Quadruples Calorie Intake WITHOUT Weight Gain

So... Why are we blaming this guy for his problems again?

Because you don't eat sugar on friday and wake up sunday with 2 chins and 25 pounds of belly fat.
Its not blame its called responsibility. But you would already know that too because you have Google Scholar.
He should ignore me and everyone else who agrees its not sugar. Because it is sugar. Its definitely sugar.
For sure its sugar. Because Google Scholar.

Blinkyrocket

Because you don't eat sugar on friday and wake up sunday with 2 chins and 25 pounds of belly fat.
Its not blame its called responsibility. But you would already know that too because you have Google Scholar.
He should ignore me and everyone else who agrees its not sugar. Because it is sugar. Its definitely sugar.
For sure its sugar. Because Google Scholar.
Whatever.

Blinkyrocket

My concern was with the dopamine receptor regulation which I showed to be negatively affected by sugar bingeing. D1/2 receptors and Mu receptors are negatively affected by sugar bingeing, this could certainly cause the OP's mental symptoms.

As for the weight gain, Occam's razor suggests it was the diet changes seen as that's what happened and the result was weight gain... Might not be, but it can't be denied that some mental gymnastics must be applied to provide a different theory.

nikolabeacon

who said all drugs are bad?
Yes we are addicted, for our good!

I believe his problem is simply a lack of other things than sugar.
Where are the good proteins, in good quantities?
ups and downs of sugar push in stress direction. Carbs whatever yes, but not alone, starch or sucrose same for this.
remember of the rat in the class of RP, starch and dissection and all was gone. Good teacher that taught him through examples.

RP ---" Everything that puts energy into cells and tissues in unbiological ways can cause some disruption."

Sugar(table sugar) surely is not a substance that puts energy in unbiological ways. Esspecially if diluted as in coke to resembles 10-12 % of sugar in fruit juice. It is naturally found biological nutrient in all fruits.

Compared to concentrated drugs such as cocaine or substances that are not produced in our system. Our body and brain makes fructose and glucose . And for example even coffee is not a pure drug because of purines and uric acid.

And we have very good mechanisms to tell when we had enough of a sweet things.

High Cortisol, overburdened sluggish liver, low thyroid and lack of nutrition and high protein intake are problems.

It seems like some people here selectively read only the parts they want to read and twist things out of context to fit their already-existing views. Peat would say rigidity/inflexibility isn't a sign of optimal functioning. No problem though because I still appreciate the time taken to help contribute to fixing my issue...

I definitely did not expect this thread to get so huge so quickly, so clearly many people still do have their doubts about sugar... I will respond in detail once I get to my laptop, but just a quick update that I caved and had a hearty meal of fries and fried chicken, and my appetite came back with a vengeance. My stomach also constantly rumbles (not a hunger-kind of grumble) after I eat sugar, so bacterial overgrowth is a high possibility. Definitely have very high acetylcholine symptoms, low dopamine symptoms. D2 stimulation is what increases cholinesterase, which destroys acetylcholine, so low D2 seems very real.
Go ahead

Constatine

Eat a variety and a vast variety at that. Having a restricted diet for an extended period of time will almost always result in a deficiency in something. Organ meats and shellfish are among the most nutritional foods for recovering from a nutrient deprived state.

Xisca

----->Elsevier: Article Locator<-----
This one right above, right here... There you go my friend, you are vindicated.
Daily bingeing on sugar repeatedly releases dopamine in the accumbens shell
Elsevier: Article Locator
They are to be looked upon knowing how reinforcement by addition and by substraction work.
In tests, they gave FREE access to rats. They have nothing to DO, to get the food. That is the point that lowers dopamine, as dopamine is in that case not necessary. Dopamine is not only related to the reward, but mainly to the behaviour to get the reward!

so clearly many people still do have their doubts about sugar...
Yes, because upper gut bacterial overgrowth, that I talk about in a digestion threat, as I have problems with sugar more than with raw honey for example, that I guess acts as some antiseptic.
Yes, because you still have to be motivated into eating something else than sugar. And because too much at a time increases adrenaline and a lot of people mention roller coaster effect in blood sugar.
My stomach also constantly rumbles (not a hunger-kind of grumble) after I eat sugar, so bacterial overgrowth is a high possibility. Definitely have very high acetylcholine symptoms, low dopamine symptoms.
That is why I mentionned how reinforcement of behaviours work, 1 page before.

And if you look just above, about FREE access, now look at your choice of title. FREE eating sugar...

Xisca

Nikola, I would have liked better a quote of my next post! ;)
So I add it at this page... ;)
What makes addiction is not so much about the substance, but about behaviour to get the substance. Of course some substances are too good at installing a habit of taking it! But this is not the topic here. The problem is how can a necessary product such as glucose, or fructose, or sucrose... can modify dopamine (which is involved also in addiction). When it is so free that no motivation is needed.
lol even free fatty acids are not beneficial, and we still believe in unlimited freedom as always good?
Paradoxes are the source of laugh which is a good source of health! :rolling Let's shake!
Compared to concentrated drugs such as cocaine or substances that are not produced in our system. Our body and brain makes fructose and glucose . And for example even coffee is not a pure drug because of purines and uric acid.

And we have very good mechanisms to tell when we had enough of a sweet things.
I cannot even tell how much I think your last sentence is a suuuper good point.
:nailedit

That is why I kept believing in sugar, even when many write and say that sugar is bad. Starch as no such stop-point.

Yep,
good conclusions,
I just forgot the smilies for the joke on the paradox... to say that it is a drug, yes, but it is not, under the current reduced meaning, though yes we have to take that damn sweet thing, or else why is the taste good? I am trained in education and thus reinforcement, with positive or negative reinforcement, R+ and R-, both words are misunderstood actually,
R+ is addiction, R- is obligation, a sort of.
R+ is when you eat something because it feels good,
R- is to eat something to avoid something bad.
R+ is to do what is good for you because you like it,
R- is when you swallow the liver or the oyster or the carrot that you do not really like, but it's good for you!
Anything that you do and brings you good, leads to addiction, but there is no problem when we are addicted to many different thing, as so none creates a sole focus. And no problem when you are addicted ...to something that does not destroys you in the end.
But the current meanning of a drug and of addiction is when you are addicted to very few things or one, and that thing might be able to do you bad in the end.
If you are addicted to DO whatever will bring you good, like reach for sugar, fruits, other good foods and act in a way that brings you smiles, hug, thanks, the happy voice of your partner or children, alert on RP forum, make your dog happy, or your rat, go out to see sunset, prepare a present for a friend birhtday, and add much more, then you are addicted to so many goodness of life that you forget that you are addicted, you even feel you are free and you are not, you are addicted!
So now, my addiction to bed is calling me....
Then some kind of acid reflux took me out of bed... In behaviour terms, this is working as R-, as I decided to ACT, in order to remove an unpleasant feeling. And it worked, because I have learned before that I can do something to modify what touches me. If we can enter into details about our physiology, even the invisible to the eye part, then we can also enter into details about the invisible that makes us act!

Blinkyrocket

Sugar's reinforcing effects are induced only by the sweet taste. Same with the neuroadaptations to the reinforcing effects (downregulation of D1/2 receptors with opioid-like withdrawal symptoms).

tara

Perhaps there is some truth to the notion that not only protein should be taken with carbs, but also viceversa.
+1

Most humans before the past century or so wouldn't be eating anywhere near the 300+ grams of carbs we are peating.
I would be surprised if it weren't more than that for quite a lot of people for quite a lot of the time, when available. Scarcity has been an important limiter for most of history.
Not representative, but Chris Kresser has this to say about working class Briton 1850-1880:
"Another advantage they had is that due to their physically demanding lifestyle, men and women during that time period ate twice as many calories as we do today. Men could consume upwards of 5,000 calories on a workday, and women over 3,000. The sheer quantity of food they ate, combined with its superior quality, resulted in average micronutrient levels 10 times higher than those of modern diets."
https://chriskresser.com/what-mid-victorians-can-teach-us-about-nutrition-and-health/

based on this paper:

How the Mid-Victorians Worked, Ate and Died
"Analysis of the mid-Victorian period in the U.K. reveals that life expectancy at age 5 was as good or better than exists today, and the incidence of degenerative disease was 10% of ours. Their levels of physical activity and hence calorific intakes were approximately twice ours. They had relatively little access to alcohol and tobacco; and due to their correspondingly high intake of fruits, whole grains, oily fish and vegetables, they consumed levels of micro- and phytonutrients at approximately ten times the levels considered normal today. This paper relates the nutritional status of the mid-Victorians to their freedom from degenerative disease; and extrapolates recommendations for the cost-effective improvement of public health today."
How the Mid-Victorians Worked, Ate and Died

OP is eating too damn much and is looking for something to blame other than the need for behavior modification.
Less than 1000 cals a day?

The level of fear-mongering in threads related to sugar, masturbation, drugs, or anything that is both pleasurable and healthy is out of control.

beachbum

Ray Peat explains how much sugar and starch a day in this clip below:

Awesome clip, it made it clear for.lol

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals