Everything Wormwood/Artemisinin/Artemisia

TreasureVibe

I'm seeking to use Wormwood (artemisia Absinthium) for abdominal bloating. I got the advice from a herbalist his website. He says he gets the raw herb and then lets a local company encapsulate it.

It is unclear to me what he means. Does he means the fresh herb, dried or undried, and does the company process the herb too?

Here is the webpage he refers to it in under Wormwood:
Richard Whelan ~ Medical Herbalist

I want to use it for low grade gut infection like he recommends. Taking 400mg capsules x4 every night for 6 weeks, to get rid of abdominal bloating.

Does anyone here know what he exactly means? Thank you!

Lejeboca

I'm seeking to use Wormwood (artemisia Absinthium) for abdominal bloating. I got the advice from a herbalist his website. He says he gets the raw herb and then lets a local company encapsulate it.

It is unclear to me what he means. Does he means the fresh herb, dried or undried, and does the company process the herb too?

Here is the webpage he refers to it in under Wormwood:
Richard Whelan ~ Medical Herbalist

I want to use it for low grade gut infection like he recommends. Taking 400mg capsules x4 every night for 6 weeks, to get rid of abdominal bloating.

Does anyone here know what he exactly means? Thank you!

I don't know what he means exactly , but I reckon he means that he gets raw dry herb (or dries fresh himself) and puts it into capsules by another company. I've never seen fresh herb to be used in capsule form (!)
On the other hand, I have and use wormwood in a tincture form and don't find it particularly bitter, i.e., I've known more bitter herbs. I typically prefer tinctured herbs because this way they are "processed" already and may cause fewer absorption/digestion/etc problems.

N.B. I haven't used wormwood for your specific issue, so cannot comment.

For abdominal bloating, I'd use sage or yellow dock myself.

morgan#1

I have a cat who was diagnosed, via cell biopsy, with squamous cell carcinoma. Vet told me max he’d have to live would be 3 months. And their was a secondary supperative osteomyelitis (took him in for dental cleaning). Got back Ivan with most of his teeth gone, and being told the worst thing ever. I asked what could be done. They said nothing, just keep him comfortable. And when he loses his appetite I had to have him euthanized.

This does have a happy ending, don’t worry. I searched on the internet for alternatives, and there you go, “everything wormwood...”. I got a kitten right before this happened, and now he’s playing 8 hrs a day with the other cat, and I feed him tons. It’s been close to 9 months, and he’s going strong.

So I guess this does work, I’m so glad I see through things that I would never have questioned before. For me that is what Ray Peat has given me. That was think, perceive, action...

TreasureVibe

I don't know what he means exactly , but I reckon he means that he gets raw dry herb (or dries fresh himself) and puts it into capsules by another company. I've never seen fresh herb to be used in capsule form (!)
On the other hand, I have and use wormwood in a tincture form and don't find it particularly bitter, i.e., I've known more bitter herbs. I typically prefer tinctured herbs because this way they are "processed" already and may cause fewer absorption/digestion/etc problems.

I emailed them and got a reply back! They said that they receive the dried herb which they have ground and then put into capsules.

Does anyone know a good and reputable product containing only organic Artemisia Absinthium? I placed an order for a product of it on ebay but then found out that the seller has a very sketchy fake company backing it so I cancelled the order..

Inaut

Just my preference but I think wormwood or any bitter substance should hit the taste buds first as it will affect the vagus nerve unlike swallowing capsules.

TreasureVibe

I found this German company which shipped to my country Holland real quick with almost no shipping costs. Their whole product range is certified organic. They sell capsules, powders and raw herbs. I've received the Wormwood product I ordered from them without any problems. Their products or atleast some of them are also on the German Amazon.com, Amazon.de.

They're called Biotiva.

Here's the product that I got from them, ordered it directly from their website. It is certified organic:

Wermutkraut Bio (150 Kapseln) - Biotiva

Capsules also fitted the 400mg per capsule dosis that i was looking for. Trying the supplement now, hopefully it'll have some effects. Will post back here on updates.

What type Sage is it that you recommend? Could you give me the botanical name? Thanks!

Lejeboca

What type Sage is it that you recommend? Could you give me the botanical name? Thanks!

I use Salvia officinalis (garden sage used for cooking) in a tincture form but tea would be OK too, and I've used powder, when on the road.

TreasureVibe

I use Salvia officinalis (garden sage used for cooking) in a tincture form but tea would be OK too, and I've used powder, when on the road.
Thanks!

I've been taking the Wormwood for 4 days now but I've started noticing psychoactive symptoms, especially during sleep. Suffering from mild mental restlessness now since stopping it too.

I've read about 2 haunting case studies of Rhabdomyolysis induced kidney failure caused by supposed Artemisia Absinthium (Wormwood) consumption but it wasn't mentioned how much was taken and for how long.

Does anyone here know if rhabdomyolysis is a serious issue that wormwood can cause? Because one other scientific review article said it wasn't that likely the Wormwood was responsible for the rhabdomyolysis in those cases but something else. I think the case studies said they bought the Wormwood on a market.

yerrag

@Tarmander I just listened to your Quax podcast on artemisinin. Thank you. Without you mentioning that the artemisia was extracted using a cold process using alcohol or ether, I would have bought the dry herb and made a hot brew of it. Instead, I'd have to make an extract of it with molasses and gin.

It would be nice if I didn't have to make my own extract, but I'm using another artemisia species, called artemisia apiacea, instead of artemesia annua. I'm hoping to be able to get a coumarin from it called lacinartin as it's got strong anti-bacterial properties against the periodontal bacteria p. gingivalis (what's causing my tough battle with hypertension). Lacinartin is also available from citrus fruits, which I suspect to be from the peel, just like naringenin. But a search of it will yield only one source, and it's very expensive. It costs 200 british pounds for 25mg from a British company called Herboreal.

I'd rather buy a lb. of artemisia apiacea from here and then make my own extract. I hope it will be another good use of the artemisia family, and that it will be instrumental in solving my periodontal bacteria-based hypertension.

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

@Tarmander I just listened to your Quax podcast on artemisinin. Thank you. Without you mentioning that the artemisia was extracted using a cold process using alcohol or ether, I would have bought the dry herb and made a hot brew of it. Instead, I'd have to make an extract of it with molasses and gin.

It would be nice if I didn't have to make my own extract, but I'm using another artemisia species, called artemisia apiacea, instead of artemesia annua. I'm hoping to be able to get a coumarin from it called lacinartin as it's got strong anti-bacterial properties against the periodontal bacteria p. gingivalis (what's causing my tough battle with hypertension). Lacinartin is also available from citrus fruits, which I suspect to be from the peel, just like naringenin. But a search of it will yield only one source, and it's very expensive. It costs 200 british pounds for 25mg from a British company called Herboreal.

I'd rather buy a lb. of artemisia apiacea from here and then make my own extract. I hope it will be another good use of the artemisia family, and that it will be instrumental in solving my periodontal bacteria-based hypertension.

No problem man, thanks for listening

Interesting extract you are working with there. Let me know how that works

If it doesn't work, perhaps the next step could be trying to crowd out the bacteria with Miyarisan: https://www.amazon.com/90-Tablets-S..._1_1?keywords=miyarisan&qid=1581082037&sr=8-1

You can chew those

J

jb116

If it doesn't work, perhaps the next step could be trying to crowd out the bacteria with Miyarisan: https://www.amazon.com/90-Tablets-S..._1_1?keywords=miyarisan&qid=1581082037&sr=8-1

You can chew those
That Miyarisan seems it could be helpful and even Peat seems to think it safe. But I can't believe that one company is the only company creating such a product and it contains poor fillers including the carcinogenic talc.

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

That Miyarisan seems it could be helpful and even Peat seems to think it safe. But I can't believe that one company is the only company creating such a product and it contains poor fillers including the carcinogenic talc.
Yeah it’s a Japanese thing. I know talc doesn’t necessarily have to have asbestos but it would make me uncomfortable.

Maybe worth trying once.

yerrag

You can chew those
Isn't Miyarisan directed at the gut microbiome or does it also help with vascular biofilm microbiome?

I should probably get a thread going about Lacinartin, a coumarin that's very useful against p. gingivalis. As I research more about it, it's not only found in citrus fruits, but also in the stem of sichuan pepper, as well as from artemisia apiacea. What makes artemisia apiacea intersting is that it's often confused with artemisia annua, from which artemisinin is extracted from. I was hoping I could get my hand on apiacea from the link in my previous post, but now I have my doubts about whether that it is genuine apiacea. Even if it were the real thing, the fact that it's sold as a dried herb already makes it hard for me to extract lacinartin out of it. It should be extracted from a fresh specimen soaked in water. Here's a good read on the origins of the use of artemisia apiacea, which precedes that of artemisia annua:

Attachments

• The History of Qing Hao in Chinese Materia Medica.pdf
    118.3 KB · Views: 5

yerrag

I think that the use of artemisia annua for malaria is just the tip of the iceberg from what can be derived from the other artemisia species around.

Btw, given how involved it would be for me to extract my own lacinartin (going to China to find fresh specimens of a. apiacea, or to Canada or Russia for a. laciniata), I may just have to pony up the 200 british pounds to get a 10 ml vial of lacinartin. Ouch!

Last edited:

Peatogenic

Could Artemesinin reactivate infections or virus of some kind? Started taking it and got a couple round ringworm-looking rashes pop up that I had a year ago. Also had two boils pop up near my waste, which I had a year ago as well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals