Everything Wormwood/Artemisinin/Artemisia

D

danishispsychic

I really like an herbal mix called " Brenda Dewormer ". It is a great recipe of herbs you mix yourself . I make it with and without black walnut as it contains too much iodine for me to handle and I think I allergic in general to it. In my experience, Wormwood works great in blends. Here is a link: Brenda’s Herbal Dewormer

Ogilvie

Dani, thanks for the mention of acid dreams. I've been taking Art (I found the Zazzee brand on Amazon in capsules, as well as Herb Pharm tincture) for about 4 days so far and my dreams have been very intense, weird, and realistic. Almost like lucid dreaming, but also sort of... cinematic would be a good word.

Broken man

Yes, it's very simple: absinthium is the species used for digestive problems ( as well as one of the main ingredients in the fabrication of absinthe) but has no activity against malaria or cancer, contrary to annua.
Hello, I really love artemisia absinthium, please do you know about some side effects that are important to know? Thujone? Thank you so much.

Amazoniac

I have stopped taking all Vit E. Context, I have prostate cancer and want ROS...subjects without cancer would want to lower ROS with antioxidants
Probucol dramatically enhances dihydroartemisinin effect in murine malaria

"Artemisinin and its derivatives have potent anti-malarial activity, but two drawbacks. First, their elimination half-life is short, about 45 min [28, 33]. Second, unlike other oxidant drugs, artemisinin cannot be cyclically oxidized and reduced [29, 30]. Therefore, one drug molecule can generate only one free radical [34]. In vitro [25] and in vivo [35] studies showed that this anti-malarial effect of artemisinin was reduced by vitamin E treatment."​

@bzmazu

Obi-wan

Probucol dramatically enhances dihydroartemisinin effect in murine malaria

"Artemisinin and its derivatives have potent anti-malarial activity, but two drawbacks. First, their elimination half-life is short, about 45 min [28, 33]. Second, unlike other oxidant drugs, artemisinin cannot be cyclically oxidized and reduced [29, 30]. Therefore, one drug molecule can generate only one free radical [34]. In vitro [25] and in vivo [35] studies showed that this anti-malarial effect of artemisinin was reduced by vitamin E treatment."​

@bzmazu

Also by Vit C

B

Braveheart

Sweet annie (Artemisia annua) is also known as Chinese wormwood or sweet wormwood. Although it is in the same genus as both wormwood (absinthe, Artemisia absinthium) and mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris), each of these herbs has different uses and should not be confused.

Amazoniac

Ancient Chinese Methods Are Remarkably Effective for the Preparation of Artemisinin-Rich Extracts of Qing Hao with Potent Antimalarial Activity

"Extraction of artemisinin by traditional methods

A. annua herb was harvested from 4-month old high-artemisinin yielding plants (Anamed) grown in the UK. Leaves and small stems were soaked in water and briefly drained before ‘wringing by hand’ and collecting the juice expressed. No juice could be obtained from the herb by wringing before soaking in water. The ‘wrung juice’ was kept separate from the water used to soak the herb and the artemisinin concentration of each was determined using gas-liquid chromatography. The results (Table 1) showed that the ‘wrung juice’ method was surprisingly effective in extracting artemisinin from fresh A. annua herb. Herb soaked in water (sufficient to cover the herb), for 12 h before wringing yielded wrung juice containing more artemisinin (72.6 mg/L) than that soaked for only 2 h (45.9 mg/L). The artemisinin concentrations achieved were nearly five and three times higher, respectively, than that achieved by preparing an infusion from dried herb prepared from the same plants (14.5 mg/L)."

"The solubility of artemisinin in water is poor on account of its non-polar nature and a concentration of only 10.6 mg/L was reported when boiling water was added to pure artemisinin [8]. In the plant, artemisinin is stored in 10-celled biseriate glandular trichomes present on the epidermis of the aerial parts [9]. The effectiveness of the ‘wrung’ method may be due, in part, to ‘mechanical’ effects resulting in the crushing and/or removal of the glandular trichomes. Another factor may be the presence of essential oil in the glandular trichomes that is composed of a mixture of monoterpenes and sesquiterpenes [10] and these may possibly aid solubilisation. Herb soaked for 12 h before wringing as compared to 2 h produced wrung juice containing almost 50% more artemisinin, an effect that may be related to the absorption of water by the herb during soaking, perhaps resulting in swollen and more fragile glandular trichomes. It is possible that 12 h is not the optimal time for soaking and further experiments to determine this would be worthwhile. Unfortunately, the Chinese texts do not give any details in this respect."

"Although the ‘wrung’ method provides a product with greater artemisinin concentration, the efficiency of the process in terms of the proportion of the total
amount of artemisinin present in the plant material is relatively poor (4.51 and 7.27% for the 2 h and 12 h ‘wrung’ juice respectively) compared to the dried leaf infusion (53.8%). However, in addition to the artemisinin present in the ‘wrung’ juice, an amount is also present in the water in which the herb
was soaked (6.55 and 13.2 mg/L for the 2 h and 12 h samples respectively) resulting in total efficiencies of 9.08 and 14.1% respectively. It is likely that traditionally, the liquid remaining after soaking as well as the wrung juice would have been consumed, thus obtaining maximum benefit from the preparation."

"Pounded juice (prepared by pounding the herb with a mortar and pestle followed by squeezing the resulting pulp by hand) was found to have the highest artemisinin concentration (293 mg/L), and this was more than 20-fold that of the dried herb infusion and 4-fold higher than that in the 12 h wrung juice. Again, the extraction efficiency was relatively low (14.9%) but it is likely that this could be improved considerably by mechanically squeezing the pulp after pounding as with hand-squeezing the yield of juice was only 0.18 mL/g fresh herb. However, it was not possible to produce juice by mechanically crushing the non-pounded herb in a mangle. The ‘pounding’ method thus provides a product with a remarkably high artemisinin content compared to the other methods but the effort required to produce it is high by comparison and as the resulting juice is dark green and viscous it may not be as palatable as the almost colourless ‘wrung’ juice."

"These results clearly demonstrate that the wrung juice and the pounded juice methods described in ancient Chinese medical texts are effective in extracting artemisinin from the herb. However, the results described here were obtained using a selected variety of A. annua (Anamed) with a relatively high artemisinin content (0.033% in the fresh herb) that is not representative of wild-type A. annua. In order to compare the latter with a non-selected variety, wrung juice (2 h) was prepared from fresh herb containing 0.009% artemisinin (Chiltern Seeds). This juice contained 24.6 mg/L artemisinin which, although half that of the 2 h Anamed plant wrung juice is similar to that of the Anamed dried leaf infusion (Table 1). The dried herb (Chiltern Seeds) was found to contain 0.072% artemisinin (data not shown) which is within the range of 0.02–1.07% reported in the literature for non-hybrid samples grown in different parts of the world [11] while the dried herb from the Anamed plants contained 0.273%. The above results show that, as might be expected, herb containing higher amounts of artemisinin yields juices with higher artemisinin content although the efficiency of extraction with the lower-yielding (Chiltern Seeds) herb was slightly higher (6.24%) for the 2 h wrung juice compared to that for the 2 h Anamed wrung juice (4.51%)."

"Despite the lower artemisinin content of the Chiltern herb, the artemisinin content of the 2 h wrung juice was comparable to the Anamed dried herb infusion clearly demonstrating that the ancient Chinese method of soaking and then hand wringing the herb has the potential to yield juice with a surprisingly high artemisinin content even from plants containing a modest content of artemisinin that occur in the wild. In this study, 12 h wrung juice or pounded juice from the Chiltern herb were not prepared but by analogy with the Anamed herb, these may be expected to yield juices containing higher artemisinin levels compared to the 2 h wrung juice. It should also be noted that young (4 month old) plants were used for this study but maximum artemisinin yields are obtained at or near the flowering stage so that there may be potential for even higher yields of artemisinin."

@bzmazu @LifeGivingStore @Tarmander

Mauritio

I was getting brain fog after lunch. Just started taking Artemisinin after lunch. No brain fog...
which one do you take ?

Mauritio

Last edited:

Mauritio

Good find....thanks. Don't know, but I would guess yes...the body gets used to Art very quickly.
Yes think so too. Do you still take it ?

Mauritio

Lejeboca

Steroid-sparing effect of wormwood (Artemisia absinthium) in Crohn's disease: A double-blind placebo-controlled study

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0944711307000025

I wondered why they used wormwood instead of sweet annie (Artemisia annua), with its artemisin. So I've looked further into this article:
1) No mention of artemisin at all.
2) Rather curious: "In vitro studies done by Karim et al., from the Department of Biology, University of Minnesota at
Duluth showed that water extracts of Artemisia absinthium were capable of protecting African green
monkey kidney cells (Vero-Cells) and human epithelial type two (HEp-2) cells against herpes viruses at non-cytotoxic concentrations levels. In descending order of susceptibility, the virii against which wormwood extract exhibited anti-viral activity in vitro were HSV I, VZV,
EBV, human herpes virus 6 (HHV6), CMV and HSV 2 virus. " and

"Kojima et al. have described a substance isolated from Artemisia absinthium and other
plants belonging to artemisia family which induces the production of interferon and is at the same time not
toxic to animal cells (German Patent Office 30 00 521; Patent Japan P 1540-79, 1979)"

Nice to learn of wormwood's anti-viral properties.

Mauritio

I wondered why they used wormwood instead of sweet annie (Artemisia annua), with its artemisin. So I've looked further into this article:
1) No mention of artemisin at all.
2) Rather curious: "In vitro studies done by Karim et al., from the Department of Biology, University of Minnesota at
Duluth showed that water extracts of Artemisia absinthium were capable of protecting African green
monkey kidney cells (Vero-Cells) and human epithelial type two (HEp-2) cells against herpes viruses at non-cytotoxic concentrations levels. In descending order of susceptibility, the virii against which wormwood extract exhibited anti-viral activity in vitro were HSV I, VZV,
EBV, human herpes virus 6 (HHV6), CMV and HSV 2 virus. " and

"Kojima et al. have described a substance isolated from Artemisia absinthium and other
plants belonging to artemisia family which induces the production of interferon and is at the same time not
toxic to animal cells (German Patent Office 30 00 521; Patent Japan P 1540-79, 1979)"

Nice to learn of wormwood's anti-viral properties.
Remember that its artemisia absinthium so dont know if the same would apply to the annua form...And I think they did not menton artemisnin becuase this is about the absinthium form.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals