Environment (diet), Not Genetics, Mainly Shapes Gut Bacteria Composition

Mito

There are maybe 2-3 brands of yogurt in WholeFoods that do not use any gums/pectin. I will find out the exact names and share. But yes, most brands (organic or not) use pectin/starch and/or at least one of the gums.
Fage & Siggi’s are two of them and Wallaby’s Organic plain is another.

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Fage & Siggi’s are two of them and Wallaby’s Organic plain is another.

So, I just checked and there are currently 3 brands in my local WholeFoods without any additives listed on the label.

Snowville Creamery 1% Yogurt (plain, vanilla, etc)
Organic Valley Whole Yogurt (plain, vanilla, etc).
Trimona Bulgarian Yogurt - I know, I know, I am partial to this one :): But I actually like the Snowville Creamery vanilla product just as much, as I am a vanilla nut.

oldmanthunder

Update: my experiment ended badly. Eating a lot of Buckwheat and Dark chocolate for their magnesium content backfired.
The fiber irritated my intestines badly. I got stomach cramps and anxiety from it. I'm back to eating a low-fiber diet again,
White rice, Meat, Milk, Coffee and Coke.
How long did you experiment with buckwheat and cacao? are you sure that it was these specific foods that caused your symptoms? if so, how certain are you that it was the fiber content, and not other factors such as the quality of the foods or specific phytonutrients that caused these symptoms?

Vinero

How long did you experiment with buckwheat and cacao? are you sure that it was these specific foods that caused your symptoms? if so, how certain are you that it was the fiber content, and not other factors such as the quality of the foods or specific phytonutrients that caused these symptoms?
About a week I was eating buckwheat and dark chocolate daily, but I was also taking other things such as vitamins so I'm not sure if it was the fiber.
Maybe I'll try eating buckwheat and dark chocolate again in some time but then without any other supplements.

raypeatclips

About a week I was eating buckwheat and dark chocolate daily, but I was also taking other things such as vitamins so I'm not sure if it was the fiber.
Maybe I'll try eating buckwheat and dark chocolate again in some time but then without any other supplements.

Why not just eat one of them at a time, not both, to determine if its one or the other? I think I recall someone on here saying theobromine in chocolate caused them anxiety so they didn't eat it. Not sure that would explain your gut issues though.

Sobieski

It wasn't until I was about 24-25 that I started trying to consciously eat lots of fiber. Up til that point I'd hardly eaten any on a daily basis. The only time I can manage to eat any significant amount of fiber is if I eat it in the morning before physical activity.

Amazoniac

- Effects of modified bioactive pectins on colon cancer cells in vitro

upload_2019-9-17_10-52-22.png

- Orange juice - Wikipedia

Amazoniac

- Cooking shapes the structure and function of the gut microbiome
Abstract said:
Diet is a critical determinant of variation in gut microbial structure and function, outweighing even host genetics[1,2,3]. Numerous microbiome studies have compared diets with divergent ingredients[1,2,3,4,5], but the everyday practice of cooking remains understudied. Here, we show that a plant diet served raw versus cooked reshapes the murine gut microbiome, with effects attributable to improvements in starch digestibility and degradation of plant-derived compounds. Shifts in the gut microbiota modulated host energy status, applied across multiple starch-rich plants, and were detectable in humans. Thus, diet-driven host–microbial interactions depend on the food as well as its form. Because cooking is human-specific, ubiquitous and ancient[6,7], our results prompt the hypothesis that humans and our microbiomes co-evolved under unique cooking-related pressures.

Dr. B

Cacao is way too acidic to be eaten. Even mixed with milk its still acidic. I think it needs to be cocoa, and preferably even alkalized cocoa.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals