effect of salt intake on free fatty acids

paymanz

i dont know if its ok to post this on this part of forum or not.
DR peat says low salt diet increases free fatty acid in blood , but whenever i search all studies suggest a high salt intake increases free fatty acid, opposite to peat's opinion.
but peat recommends salt to taste , so i dont know if it is a high intake or not?!
maybe peat salt recommendation is somewhere between low and high salt intake,maybe they uses excess salt in their studies.
here is one of them
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2045176

natedawggh

Dr. Peat says a lot of things contradicted by published studies. The point is that the authors of such studies draw conclusions that are either not really logical or are based on previous but flawed ideas of physiology to which Dr. Peat disagrees. I have always been so much more impressed by his scientific understanding and logic than I ever was by reading these kinds of studies, and am more likely to believe what he says. Also, most of these kinds of studies are done by paid researchers that may have conflicts of interest to an alternate conclusion, such as if they work for a center with ties to a big Pharma company with lucrative blood pressure medications.

From personal experience, I intake a lot of salt, especially at bedtime to sleep, and every time I go to the doctor I have perfect blood pressure, even though I have elevated triglycerides and thyroid problems, so if it were to have a deleterious effect one would think it would do that to someone with an impaired metabolism such as myself. Salt is also easily expelled from the body, so excess is not really an issue. Contemporary medical thinking on the subject correlates high blood sodium with cardiovascular issues, but the flaw in this theory is that when the body's metabolism is compromised and too low sodium is ingested, the body actually looses sodium to the blood stream, so tests indicate a high level of sodium even though there is actually a deficiency.

OP
P

paymanz

thanks for replay nate. i posted this which looks opposite to peat's view but i believe in peat so much.he is a wise man more than 50 years research in biology and a lot of experiments and viewing things from a lot of angles not just one.i cant believe his ideas are wrong.when he says something he says for a real reason.but by looking at opposite views i want gain more understanding.its just that.
anyway for this case(salt) i think the balance is important.just because something is good it doesnt mean the more is the better.everything should be in balance.i think that is why he says eat salt to taste.

tara

natedawggh said:
Contemporary medical thinking on the subject correlates high blood sodium with cardiovascular issues, ...
I have not read the study linked, so I can't comment on it.
But I had thought the flaw the 'high sodium correlates with high cardiovascular disease therefore reducing sodium intake will reduce cardiovascular disease' theory was that causal direction is falsely assumed rather than established.
I thought Peat's line was that people whose metabolism is deficient are more likely to get cardiovascular disease. Higher sodium intake is supportive in situations of low metabolism, and people who have reduced metabolism frequently crave and eat more salt (their bodies' rightly assessing it as helpful). Ie low metabolism causes both cardiovascular disease and higher sodium levels, explaining the correlation.

BingDing

I suspect there is no linear relationship between salt intake, free fatty acids in the blood, and cardiovascular disease. It is more complicated than that, and RPs ideas are about as good as anyone knows at this time. Salt is one of the elements of the positive pole, with thyroid, pregnenolone, progesterone, testosterone, aspirin, niacinimide, caffeine promoting oxidative respiration and health.

Sodium, potassium, magnesium, and calcium are definitely nonlinear. AFAIK, there is no reason to restrict intake of any of them, up to the point of diarrhea. They are all necessary for health.

Salt restriction is known to increase serotonin, see here.

Serotonin and estrogen are the main elements of the negative pole, inhibiting oxidative respiration and health.

My use of "poles" reflects RP comments in one of his interviews, that there are "polar" groups of chemicals in opposite positions, whether they are promote health or not.

natedawggh

tara said:
natedawggh said:
Contemporary medical thinking on the subject correlates high blood sodium with cardiovascular issues, ...
But I had thought the flaw the 'high sodium correlates with high cardiovascular disease therefore reducing sodium intake will reduce cardiovascular disease' theory was that causal direction is falsely assumed rather than established.
I thought Peat's line was that people whose metabolism is deficient are more likely to get cardiovascular disease. Higher sodium intake is supportive in situations of low metabolism, and people who have reduced metabolism frequently crave and eat more salt (their bodies' rightly assessing it as helpful). Ie low metabolism causes both cardiovascular disease and higher sodium levels, explaining the correlation.

It sounds like you're disagreeing with me in tone but my words are exactly the same as you are saying. I used the word correlates, not causes, because high blood sodium absent high dietary sodium does correlate with cardiovascular diseases, which is different than saying it causes because it does not. It only correlates.

tara

natedawggh said:
tara said:
natedawggh said:

It sounds like you're disagreeing with me in tone but my words are exactly the same as you are saying. I used the word correlates, not causes, because high blood sodium absent high dietary sodium does correlate with cardiovascular diseases, which is different than saying it causes because it does not. It only correlates.

I was not intending to disagree with what you said, but to add another possible partial explanation for the correlation, which I think I have read from Peat. I don't see my comment as either the same as your explanation, or contradictory to it. I was not familiar with your explanation, but as far as my limited understanding goes, it may be compatible with the one I reported.

natedawggh

tara said:
natedawggh said:
tara said:
natedawggh said:

I was not intending to disagree with what you said, but to add another possible partial explanation for the correlation, which I think I have read from Peat. I don't see my comment as either the same as your explanation, or contradictory to it. I was not familiar with your explanation, but as far as my limited understanding goes, it may be compatible with the one I reported.

I wrote: "when the body's metabolism is compromised and too low sodium is ingested, the body looses sodium to the blood stream, so tests indicate a high level of sodium even though there is actually a deficiency." I didn't at all recommend a reduction of dietary sodium, but the opposite. In that you wrote the same thing as I did.

tara

natedawggh said:
I wrote: "when the body's metabolism is compromised and too low sodium is ingested, the body looses sodium to the blood stream, so tests indicate a high level of sodium even though there is actually a deficiency." I didn't at all recommend a reduction of dietary sodium, but the opposite. In that you wrote the same thing as I did.
I did not write the same thing as you did.
I agree that neither of us recommended reducing salt intake.
I have not said I disagreed with anything you said in your original post.
I did not remember previously coming across the exact explanation you gave, and neither agreed nor disagreed with it.
As I reread it now, I agree with you about the first part, that low metabolism tends to result in loss of salt, as Peat has said. I am not sure if you are taking about urine or blood tests showing high sodium under conditions of low metabolism and insufficient sodium intake, and I don't recall seeing either reported before. That doesn't mean I think you are wrong about it possibly happening, just that I don't know. The only experience I have with someone suffering severe hyponatremia (and from other symptoms too, likely low metabolism) was also showing significantly low sodium in blood tests.
As I said, I was providing another possible explanation, which may be compatible with yours, but I don't see it as exactly the same.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals