Estrogen-mediated Brain Protection Directly Linked To Intake Of Fatty Acids Found In Oils

Mossy

Once I saw the title of this "scientific" study I had to post this, considering it is so polar opposite to the Peat perspective.

I am new to Peating, but have reaped good benefits from it so far. I'm not 100% healed/fully recovered yet, but so far what I've put to the test has been helpful and encouraging me to continue. I mention this to show that I'm pro-Peat, but am always curious when I see these studies that claim to have positive results using approaches so opposite Peat.

Something to add, which must've been talked about many times before on this forum, is the longevity of the Asian cultures with pro estrogen, pro PUFA diets. I mention this because this is a Japanese study.

I stumbled upon this study via a promotion to sell fish oil by an online retailer. I'd like to think there is more to the intent and motive of the researchers of the study than to just sell supplements -- but, maybe this is the case.

Estrogen-mediated brain protection directly linked to intake of fatty acids found in oils
"Scientists are increasingly appreciating estrogen's role in brain health. Now for the first time, production of estrogen in the brain has been directly linked to the presence of docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)."

This looks to be the original study referenced in the above article: Potentiation of 17β-estradiol synthesis in the brain and elongation of seizure latency through dietary supplementation with docosahexaenoic acid

EDIT: I've updated this post to include link to the more in-depth study.

Last edited:

rei

DHA supplementation made estrogen levels rise significantly. I don't find it surprising that estrogen delays the onset of the seizures, when you think about the effects estrogen has in the body it is only logical that a cell in a high estrogen environment takes longer to react to this poison.

DHA is known to increase antioxidative action (maybe the body trying to counteract the damage caused by spontaneously oxidizing DHA)(another possibility is indirectly via the antioxidant effect of estrogen). The poison they used to induce seizures causes them at least partly via oxidative stress. Then it seems natural that the DHA upregulated antioxidative action was able to help counteract the poison for some time, delaying seizure onset. No significant effect was seen on seizure severity.

I may just be too tired, but i would almost say that this study seems to be engineered to show what someone wanted to publish.

Last edited:

Elephanto

DHA supplementation made estrogen levels rise significantly. I don't find it surprising that estrogen delays the onset of the seizures, when you think about the effects estrogen has in the body it is only logical that a cell in a high estrogen environment takes longer to react to this poison.

DHA is known to increase antioxidative action (maybe the body trying to counteract the damage caused by spontaneously oxidizing DHA)(another possibility is indirectly via the antioxidant effect of estrogen). The poison they used to induce seizures causes them at least partly via oxidative stress. Then it seems natural that the DHA upregulated antioxidative action was able to help counteract the poison for some time, delaying seizure onset. No significant effect was seen on seizure severity.

I may just be too tired, but i would almost say that this study seems to be engineered to show what someone wanted to publish.

Turns out to be a great find for us, I didn't know that Omega-3s directly synthesize estrogen. I often learn valuable stuff from studies whose attempt at leading the reader is the opposite of what I'm led to (if that makes sense). Now if OP thinks estrogen is good for you, well good for him.

OP
Mossy

Mossy

...i would almost say that this study seems to be engineered to show what someone wanted to publish.

I would have to agree with you, something is probably fishy about this study :lolno:. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Seriously, I do agree with you. In this make a profit at all cost society we live in, skepticism seems to be the necessary position.

OP
Mossy

Mossy

Now if OP thinks estrogen is good for you, well good for him.
As my original post shows, I clearly don't hold that view. Currently, I've bought into the anti-estrogen perspective of Peat, but as I mentioned, I am "curious" as to the seeming success and longevity of cultures with pro-estrogen diets. As an example, I had a doctor of TCM, who is about 82, has a full head of dark hair, and has no health ailments apart from old age. I tried the Asian diet, and I did not thrive on it. It did not pull me out of my hypothyroid state, like following Peat's advice did. But, it works for this Asian doctor, who obviously has a diet high in estrogen and is thriving. No doubt, there are many variables to his success, and the Asian diet in general, but it's these successes that keep me curious and asking questions -- at least of bringing it up for discussion.

bdawg

As my original post shows, I clearly don't hold that view. Currently, I've bought into the anti-estrogen perspective of Peat, but as I mentioned, I am "curious" as to the seeming success and longevity of cultures with pro-estrogen diets. As an example, I had a doctor of TCM, who is about 82, has a full head of dark hair, and has no health ailments apart from old age. I tried the Asian diet, and I did not thrive on it. It did not pull me out of my hypothyroid state, like following Peat's advice did. But, it works for this Asian doctor, who obviously has a diet high in estrogen and is thriving. No doubt, there are many variables to his success, and the Asian diet in general, but it's these successes that keep me curious and asking questions -- at least of bringing it up for discussion.

Something I've wondered myself.... back in my early 20s I was pumping myself with fish oil and eating soy in widely available Eastern cuisine take-outs. I had constant histamine issues almost daily and barely any body hair, feminization, erection problems, confidence issues etc. Used to get sick from the common cold sometimes 3 times in a year... but then I see the long lifespans of Hong Kong and Japan residents and read about the Okinawan diet, so I'm still confused

Dante

Something I've wondered myself.... back in my early 20s I was pumping myself with fish oil and eating soy in widely available Eastern cuisine take-outs. I had constant histamine issues almost daily and barely any body hair, feminization, erection problems, confidence issues etc. Used to get sick from the common cold sometimes 3 times in a year... but then I see the long lifespans of Hong Kong and Japan residents and read about the Okinawan diet, so I'm still confused
May be ethnicity plays a role. I posted a study of hair steroid levels of east asians vs caucasians(which can be surrogate for tissue related enzymatic activities) , there were some differences in the downstream steroids and enzyme ( 5βR metabolite was higher in east asians compared to caucasians).
As far body hair is concerned, you can get hirsutism with Cushing's Syndrome and have erection/fertility problems at the same time .

OP
Mossy

Mossy

When I was on the TCM recommended diet, I did feel emaciated and stressed. In addition, that was a point where my hair-loss went to the next level. Funny enough though, there were a few times, after eating tofu, that I felt very good. I wonder if there is a temporary high/hormone effect from the estrogen in soy. Or, maybe the estrogen was balancing my skewed hormones somehow, albeit temporarily and superficially.

May be ethnicity plays a role. I posted a study of hair steroid levels of east asians vs caucasians(which can be surrogate for tissue related enzymatic activities) , there were some differences in the downstream steroids and enzyme ( 5βR metabolite was higher in east asians compared to caucasians).
As far body hair is concerned, you can get hirsutism with Cushing's Syndrome and have erection/fertility problems at the same time .
There would seem to be something to this, of genetic make-up based on ethnicity affecting metabolism. Years back, I followed the book The Metabolic Typing Diet, and if I recall correctly, the author's perspective was along those lines, that certain cultures could handle certain foods better than others. I don't think this necessarily contradicts or negates Peat, either. I think it could be argued that Peating would optimize the health of any person, regardless of ethnicity; but, those cultures that don't do Peating may have a genetic predisposition to handle the stresses their diet puts on their body, and in the case of a healthy body, they can prevail against the stresses. If there is one factor I find consistent to those of us Peating, it's that we were or are in a state of stress or illness. I wonder if to the degree we get better, we would be able to handle more variation to our diet.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals