CoQ10 may prevent the negative effects of endotoxin on mitochondria

haidut

Forum Supporter
The stud was in rats and the dosage of CoQ10 was 20mg/kg 12 hours before endotoxin administration. This means the human dosage is 2.5mg/kg-3mg/kg. The interesting thing is that AFAIK Peat has said that he does not routinely recommend CoQ10 since it increases fatty acid oxidation, and elevated free fatty acid (FFA) are symptoms of stress. This is confirmed by the fact that endotin increased FFA. However, in this study CoQ10 actually lowered free fatty acids increased by endotoxin.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02713885

"...The administration of endotoxin significantly increased the levels of FFA, and significantly reduced the specific activity of NADPH-cytochromec reductase. Premedication with either CoQ10 or CPZ largely prevented the increase in FFA and the deleterious effect of endotoxin on microsomal electron transport activity.(3) In Vitro Studies. The in vitro effect of phospholipase A2 (PLase A2) on the levels of FFA in isolated lung microsomes and the specific activity of microsomal NADPH-cytochromec reductase were determined. The addition of PLase A2 significantly increased the levels of FFA and reduced microsomal electron transport activity. The simultaneous addition of either CoQ10 or CPZ protected against these changes caused by PLase A2. These results suggest that the lung microsomal dysfunction caused by endotoxin is a consequence of the degradation of microsomal membranes induced by the activation of PLase A2."

jyb

haidut said:
The interesting thing is that AFAIK Peat has said that he does not routinely recommend CoQ10 since it increases fatty acid oxidation, and elevated free fatty acid (FFA) are symptoms of stress.

Hum yeah, but that could simply be a protection measure against an acute problem. It's like fever, it's the lesser of two evils but the body doesn't intend to have those high temp hormones to run forever. When there is an acute problem or danger of running out fuel, it's normal that many things happen. Now, if you take something like CoQ10 or other protection and it prevents the endotoxin injury, the body might not need to shake things up. But I think that would be different from saying that it's a malfunctioning inflammation, when the inflammation response itself is problematic, for example have the stress hormones persisting for long when there is pufa instead of disappearing once it accomplished its normal function. In particular, if you kill the body's acute protection without preventing the original injury, then I would worry.

sm1693

haidut said:
The interesting thing is that AFAIK Peat has said that he does not routinely recommend CoQ10 since it increases fatty acid oxidation, and elevated free fatty acid (FFA) are symptoms of stress.

I have seen him mention CoQ10 quite a few times in a positive way, but I haven't seen him talk about supplementation. Are you referring to supplements here?

narouz

sm1693 said:
haidut said:

I have seen him mention CoQ10 quite a few times in a positive way, but I haven't seen him talk about supplementation. Are you referring to supplements here?

This is interesting
because I've been considering taking CoQ10/ubiquinone--
mainly because it is one of those quinones Peat talks about
that share a general range of good effects.
-ubiquinone
-pau d'arco
-methylene blue
-tetracyclines
-vitamin K2
-what am I forgetting...?

But if CoQ10 increases PUFA oxidation...?
Maybe it is a little different.

narouz

dd99 said:
Cascara sagrada?

Yeah, right!
Thanks.
So:

-ubiquinone
-pau d'arco
-methylene blue
-tetracyclines
-vitamin K2
-cascara sagrada

What else?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
narouz said:
dd99 said:
Cascara sagrada?

Yeah, right!
Thanks.
So:

-ubiquinone
-pau d'arco
-methylene blue
-tetracyclines
-vitamin K2
-cascara sagrada

What else?

Rhubarb also contains Peat-approved quinones. Senna contains anthraqiunones but I think Peat is not fond of them for some reason.

narouz

haidut said:
Rhubarb also contains Peat-approved quinones. Senna contains anthraqiunones but I think Peat is not fond of them for some reason.

Thanks, haidut.
Rhubarb.
I haven't heard Peat talk about that.

On a completely unrelated note:
Quinine.
Sounds like quinone.
MB is a quinone and was used to treat malaria....

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
narouz said:
haidut said:

Thanks, haidut.
Rhubarb.
I haven't heard Peat talk about that.

On a completely unrelated note:
Quinine.
Sounds like quinone.
MB is a quinone and was used to treat malaria....

Yeah, I used to think they are related but as far as I know they are not even thought the names sound very similar. Quinine is potassium channel blocker and some people use it nowadays for muscle cramps.

Parsifal

haidut said:
post 70786 The stud was in rats and the dosage of CoQ10 was 20mg/kg 12 hours before endotoxin administration. This means the human dosage is 2.5mg/kg-3mg/kg. The interesting thing is that AFAIK Peat has said that he does not routinely recommend CoQ10 since it increases fatty acid oxidation, and elevated free fatty acid (FFA) are symptoms of stress. This is confirmed by the fact that endotin increased FFA. However, in this study CoQ10 actually lowered free fatty acids increased by endotoxin.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02713885

"...The administration of endotoxin significantly increased the levels of FFA, and significantly reduced the specific activity of NADPH-cytochromec reductase. Premedication with either CoQ10 or CPZ largely prevented the increase in FFA and the deleterious effect of endotoxin on microsomal electron transport activity.(3) In Vitro Studies. The in vitro effect of phospholipase A2 (PLase A2) on the levels of FFA in isolated lung microsomes and the specific activity of microsomal NADPH-cytochromec reductase were determined. The addition of PLase A2 significantly increased the levels of FFA and reduced microsomal electron transport activity. The simultaneous addition of either CoQ10 or CPZ protected against these changes caused by PLase A2. These results suggest that the lung microsomal dysfunction caused by endotoxin is a consequence of the degradation of microsomal membranes induced by the activation of PLase A2."
Some people say that ubiquinol is better than ubiquinone because anti-oxydants are not good according to them as the cell must be slightly oxidized (if I understood well why they say that). Do you know if that's true haidut?

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Parsifal said:
post 107191 Some people say that ubiquinol is better than ubiquinone because anti-oxydants are not good according to them as the cell must be slightly oxidized (if I understood well why they say that).
This is from the "Peatarian Email Exchanges"
CoQ10

I think it's safe.

[What do you think of ubiquinol supplementation? Is it dangerous?] I would prefer to use ubiquinone; the reduced form is more likely to be interactive with iron, etc.
http://wiki.raypeatforum.com/index.php/ ... nges#CoQ10

Last edited:

FredSonoma

narouz said:
post 70902
dd99 said:
Cascara sagrada?

Yeah, right!
Thanks.
So:

-ubiquinone
-pau d'arco
-methylene blue
-tetracyclines
-vitamin K2
-cascara sagrada

What else?

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious but what is this list? Is it all stuff that helps reduce / protect from endotoxin?

narouz

FredSonoma said:
post 107205
narouz said:
post 70902
dd99 said:
Cascara sagrada?

Yeah, right!
Thanks.
So:

-ubiquinone
-pau d'arco
-methylene blue
-tetracyclines
-vitamin K2
-cascara sagrada

What else?

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious but what is this list? Is it all stuff that helps reduce / protect from endotoxin?

I would note, too, that I was mistaken about methylene blue.
It is not a quinone.
It is structurally similar,
and has some similar action/effects,
but...not a quinone.

They may indeed have some good effect against endotoxin, Fred,
but that is not usually the way their effects are primarily described.
They have a very broad range of properties, effects.
I guess Peat mainly talks about them as restorers of mitochondrial respiration.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals