Does raw milk Spoil

tommyg130

After 5-6 days my raw milk develops a slight smell.. a little more sour or cheesey. Is it still safe to drink? Commercial milk once it smells funky id never drink. But raw milk from the farm?

As long as if you drink it and your body doesn't reject it you should be fine. The lady I get mine from says that everyone just has their line where they stop drinking it. Her daughter will keep drinking it a week after everyone else. It should be safe though at pretty much all times. It is better to go by taste as well because it can smell a little funky but taste just fine. I normally drink until about two weeks. That being said if you drink from the gallon your mouth bacteria will start to grow in it and that will have an effect. I finish each gallon within a few days of opening. Aajonus said that raw milk doesn't rot, it just turns into various forms of cheese. So you should be safe, definitely within a week don't worry about it.

OP
T

tommyg130

As long as if you drink it and your body doesn't reject it you should be fine. The lady I get mine from says that everyone just has their line where they stop drinking it. Her daughter will keep drinking it a week after everyone else. It should be safe though at pretty much all times. It is better to go by taste as well because it can smell a little funky but taste just fine. I normally drink until about two weeks. That being said if you drink from the gallon your mouth bacteria will start to grow in it and that will have an effect. I finish each gallon within a few days of opening. Aajonus said that raw milk doesn't rot, it just turns into various forms of cheese. So you should be safe, definitely within a week don't worry about it.
I have some left that’s opened and it will take me to the two week mark. Usually I warm it w milk too so I should be fine. Thanks!

spanner

I used to drink a half gallon/day of raw milk. I’d take the day’s bottle out of the fridge and leave it out all day, and I drank straight from the bottle. If I didn’t finish it that day, I had to finish it the next, even after leaving it out all night. It would start separating into curds and whey on the second day. Only rarely did I discard milk.

I don’t recall ever getting sick from the milk.

I think homemade yoghurt is a better choice than “naturally sour milk”, but I don’t consume much of either these days.

schmolch

I absolutely love sour raw milk.
At room temperature (not in the summer) it will become progressively more sour and thicker for 4-5 days until the whey seperates and all taste disappears.
Often i will keep some sour milk in the bottle to jump-start the next filling, it's a great reason to not clean your milk bottles.
It's also easier to digest.

Last edited:

AlaskaJono

When we did get fresh raw milk, it would start to smell after about 5-6 days in the fridge. Often the cream or fatty bits stuck to the bottle above the milk level are the culprits, but the milk still tastes ok to me for another day. My wife can drink it another day or two. For me it is getting off. We would just make yogurt with it.
We did get some "cold pressed raw milk " that is commercial recently, and same it starts to smell a little after 5 days. So we drink it up. :): As stated above if it 'agrees' with your system, then go for it. (tastes sh*te in coffee).

akgrrrl

My grandfather kept a silver dollar in his pocket. Each night he would take a glass of raw or buttermilk and leave it on the counter with the silver in it. (Oklahoma, very hot summers) in the morning, he would crumble leftover cornbread in the glass with heaping spoons of sugar. His favorite breakfast, then take his coffee afterwards. He was an ironworker/shipbuilder 1930s 40s 50s.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals