Do You Opt Out Of The Scanners When You Go To The Airport?

Do you opt out of the scanners when you go to the airport?

• Yes

Votes: 32 48.5%
  • No

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • I haven't yet but I plan to next time.

Votes: 13 19.7%

• Total voters
They give you a hit of radiation.

The TSA worker will roll his/her eyes at you when you say "I opt out." But I say it every time. I don't care. You work for me. I pay my taxes.

always opt out. Who knows what those machines are doing. They have begun an even more molesty patdown but I don't care.

L

lollipop

I opt out as well. Need to plan an extra 30 min or so, sometimes they get behind...

No lol, it's always the microwave version. To be honest I always get weapons detected (my ponytail) so I get patted anyway :ss2

zztr

Flying is already a health nightmare in the first place. The air is lousy and diseased and the radiation exposure while airborne is not good. The scanners seem like a minor additional insult. Opting out as a matter of principal is one thing, but if you're doing it for health reasons I have to wonder why you are at an airport.

Mito

TSA’s website says they use radio frequencies not x-rays.

Safety: Advanced imaging technology is safe and meets national health and safety standards. This technology uses non-ionizing radio-frequency energy in the millimeter spectrum with no known adverse health effects. It does not use X-ray technology.

raypeatclips

TSA’s website says they use radio frequencies not x-rays.

Safety: Advanced imaging technology is safe and meets national health and safety standards. This technology uses non-ionizing radio-frequency energy in the millimeter spectrum with no known adverse health effects. It does not use X-ray technology.

X rays aren't the only dangerous things out there.

x-ray peat

Flying is already a health nightmare in the first place. The air is lousy and diseased and the radiation exposure while airborne is not good. The scanners seem like a minor additional insult. Opting out as a matter of principal is one thing, but if you're doing it for health reasons I have to wonder why you are at an airport.
The serenity prayer comes to mind.

Tarmander

The extra 10 minutes it takes to get a pat down is a small price to pay to opt out of a relatively untested technology. Just as a general philosophy, new tech these days has cost and efficiency as its highest value. Long term health is way way down on the list. Think of drugs, basically if it doesn't kill you within a couple years, it's a go as all else can be obfuscated, delayed, and argued in court.

dfspcc20

I paid the ~$90 to get TSA pre-check. With it, I don't even need to ask to opt-out of the scanner; I just get directed to the metal detector instead. I travel alone often enough (2-3x/year) for it to be worth it.
I hardly ever travel internationally so I didn't bother with the Global Entry or whatever it's called.
When I'm traveling with my family (with young children), they've never asked us to go through the scanner; not sure if that's policy or what.

L

lollipop

I paid the ~$90 to get TSA pre-check. With it, I don't even need to ask to opt-out of the scanner; I just get directed to the metal detector instead. I travel alone often enough (2-3x/year) for it to be worth it.
I hardly ever travel internationally so I didn't bother with the Global Entry or whatever it's called.
When I'm traveling with my family (with young children), they've never asked us to go through the scanner; not sure if that's policy or what.
I did the same. Works great - fast easy.

dfspcc20

I've also been told that if you tell them that you're unable to lift your arms upright, then they have to let you go through the metal detector.
Having your arm in a makeshift sling might help.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
If I ever have to go to another airport, I will definitely opt opt. I would rather drive. :D

grabster

Cars with adaptive cruise control and collision avoidance emit mm waves. Self driving cars may end up using mm wave radar.... Not sure how the power levels compare.

dd99

Just flying out of Heathrow. Wasn't allowed to opt out. Either get a scan or leave the airport.

Just flying out of Heathrow. Wasn't allowed to opt out. Either get a scan or leave the airport.
Wow. That sucks! Is that even legal? I thought you had the right to opt out and still make it into the airplane.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals