Unexpected things that can maybe raise your serotonin (IME --short post, not crazy one)

Since I am known for making crazy, super long posts here I will make this one shorter and sweeter with things I have experienced can alter my (and maybe your) serotonin levels.

I am not saying any of this is necessarily bad but just a heads up/IME:

1. Listening to too much music

I have noticed too much repetitive music can raise stress and/or serotonin, often times in a way you may misinterpret due to how you mentally view your state or current music preferences. Most instances I have seen with people listening to loud, repetitive ans ongoing music tend to show signs of elevated serotonin, however relevant to said specific person/their expression of such.

2. Reading too much or writing too much

Indoor book worms may use this as an intelligence coping mechanism but I get the sense some may stay indoors and read/write more as some expression of their serotonergic state. Just look at so many glued to their devices and stuff inside usually/not even balancing out some screen time with sun and nature. There is obviously an overlap with a serotonergic society and endless reading and writing (I only am keeping my serotonin lower as I write this due to being outdoors and having energy drinks).

3. Staying up too late or just having a too messy schedule

The night is for sleep -- biorhythms do not lie. If you keep yourself up too late steadily you can pay the price, especially with too much drinking and partying and etc. non-stop with no protective/remedial effects added (like aspirin, thyroid, caffeine or etc.)

4. Eating too much at once

After some unwanted splurging out of stress many notice the "after effects" -- that in part is at least going to be serotonin increase, although may be subtle depending on the person.

5. Over exercising or moving too much

In the incel community the guy whp dedicates his whole purpose in life to moving heavy objects blindly as his purpose in life is the "gymcel." Both men and women can use exercise to fill voids in an otherwise sense of unfulfilled livelihood or lack thereof, so it is important to draw the line between desirable exercise and hopefulness that never is to be fulfilled. Also look to some "healthy" people who do a lot of exercise (if they still have not had a heart attack before I finish writing this up).

6. Being around other people who have high serotonin

I can personally attest to this. The reason some feel terrible some days and better others can simply boil down to who they interacted with. An egomaniac or psychopath can either anger you or increase your serotonin, or put you under their control AKA manipulate you (which can have a similar effect anyways). The low serotonin people typically go "live and let live" while higher serotonin people want to enforce or manipulate others to their sense of "right" or such.

7. A steady job

Yeah this is one of those things everyone can't just opt out of, but it is a fact that the 9-5 bore of daily exhaustion to pay bills will almost always have a significant effect on serotonin down the road at least (unless you are one of the few lucky ones who can find a great work/life balance or combine them to work best and fulfill you).

8. Reading this post ... Just kidding (or maybe not). If you can think of more to add then go ahead and continue from 7 or 8 onwards and share our experiences with the hormone of happiness.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Reading this post ... Just kidding (or maybe not). If you can think of more to add then go ahead and continue from 7 or 8 onwards and share our experiences with the hormone of happiness.
Good post, Social media seems to raise it for me but I suppose that falls into the screen time you mentioned above.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Too much sunlight. Hit it just right though, and serotonin is crushed, dopamine flourishes.

pushkin

This is a great post, thanks. I was doing a search on heavy exercise and exhaustion and this came up. Yesterday I had (an intense) cleaning job to do for three hours and I was so exhausted afterwards I could not lift a glass to get a drink. I wonder why this happens to me, intense exercise has always left me completely drained for days afterwards. I think this is a different topic than the OP but I agree with you on all of these points.

I was only thinking the other day how repetitive music really is not good for me. I was listening to an interview with Sting who said that music nowadays does not follow the tradition pattern of having a bridge (a slight change in the melody three quarters of the way through) so that the song cannot have a natural conclusion and just keeps going and going, which I think is so indicative of modern life (scrolling on endless feeds). I really do get troubled when a song I have heard is still playing in my head literally three weeks later. I also read that singing the mnaa mnaa muppet song can cancel any other repetitive music you have stuck in your head - that tends to work. Also singing Bohemian Rhapsody all the way through to the end has the same effect for me.

I also at times hide within writing, which keeps me indoors. I think at some low points in my life, I was addicted to the security of mulling over everything by writing a journal and that was not a good thing. Drawing is much better for me, as I guess it uses a different part of the brain and can be liberating rather than again getting stuck on that endless page scroll/scrawl. Maybe it has something to do with abstract rather than linear thought.

This is a good thread about overthinking/over-verbalisation: "Too Much Verbalisation Can Damage The Brain" I think it is really important for me to stop writing and talking sometimes. Just as it is really important to have no music and just silence.

pushkin

I also just found this quote, I wonder if it fits in here:

"Exercise physiologists, without mentioning functional systems, have recently discovered some principles that extend the discoveries of Meerson and Anokhin. They found that "concentric" contraction, that is, causing the muscle to contract against resistance, improves the muscle's function, without injuring it. (Walking up a mountain causes concentric contractions to dominate in the leg muscles. Walking down the mountain injures the muscles, by stretching them, forcing them to elongate while bearing a load; they call that eccentric contraction.) Old people, who had extensively damaged mitochondrial DNA, were given a program of concentric exercise, and as their muscles adapted to the new activity, their mitochondrial DNA was found to have become normal.

There are probably the equivalents of constructive "concentric" activity and destructively stressful "eccentric" activity in the brain. For example, "rote learning" is analogous to eccentric muscle contraction, and learning by asking questions is "concentric." "No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings." Any activity that seems "programmed" probably stifles cellular energy and cellular intelligence.

When activity is meaningful, and is seen to be meeting a felt need, the catabolic and anabolic systems support and strengthen the components of the functional system that has been activated.
Everything we do has an influence on the streaming renewal of the adaptive living substance." - RP

cupofcoffee

Your crazy posts are always appreciated BTW, you're one of the best posters here

Peatful

With my monthly cycle- for me- high estrogen equals high serotonin.

Also 1, 2, 5, 6, 7. From your OP.
Especially overexersize.

Rafe

Everything on that list, especially the reading/writing, & having a job where you carry out directives or instructions.

Add: being around compulsive talkers.

Herbie

Yeah I agree, when I was a taxi driver I could handle 100 hours a week 7 days a week because it was spontaneous destinations, meeting new people, freedom to choose music or not and self employed, freedom to go home for lunch or anything, early and late sunlight.

My full time job only 5 days a week, I can barely hold down, manager controlling radio, blasted with covid fear, now Ukraine fear, working next to insane people, manager is horrible, routine of it, same place, don’t meet any new people, heaps of pressure, it’s just death.

How can people enjoy listening to the same songs for 40 years with fear mongering news in between?

Last edited:

johnwester130

Since I am known for making crazy, super long posts here I will make this one shorter and sweeter with things I have experienced can alter my (and maybe your) serotonin levels.

I am not saying any of this is necessarily bad but just a heads up/IME:

1. Listening to too much music

I have noticed too much repetitive music can raise stress and/or serotonin, often times in a way you may misinterpret due to how you mentally view your state or current music preferences. Most instances I have seen with people listening to loud, repetitive ans ongoing music tend to show signs of elevated serotonin, however relevant to said specific person/their expression of such.

2. Reading too much or writing too much

Indoor book worms may use this as an intelligence coping mechanism but I get the sense some may stay indoors and read/write more as some expression of their serotonergic state. Just look at so many glued to their devices and stuff inside usually/not even balancing out some screen time with sun and nature. There is obviously an overlap with a serotonergic society and endless reading and writing (I only am keeping my serotonin lower as I write this due to being outdoors and having energy drinks).

3. Staying up too late or just having a too messy schedule

The night is for sleep -- biorhythms do not lie. If you keep yourself up too late steadily you can pay the price, especially with too much drinking and partying and etc. non-stop with no protective/remedial effects added (like aspirin, thyroid, caffeine or etc.)

4. Eating too much at once

After some unwanted splurging out of stress many notice the "after effects" -- that in part is at least going to be serotonin increase, although may be subtle depending on the person.

5. Over exercising or moving too much

In the incel community the guy whp dedicates his whole purpose in life to moving heavy objects blindly as his purpose in life is the "gymcel." Both men and women can use exercise to fill voids in an otherwise sense of unfulfilled livelihood or lack thereof, so it is important to draw the line between desirable exercise and hopefulness that never is to be fulfilled. Also look to some "healthy" people who do a lot of exercise (if they still have not had a heart attack before I finish writing this up).

6. Being around other people who have high serotonin

I can personally attest to this. The reason some feel terrible some days and better others can simply boil down to who they interacted with. An egomaniac or psychopath can either anger you or increase your serotonin, or put you under their control AKA manipulate you (which can have a similar effect anyways). The low serotonin people typically go "live and let live" while higher serotonin people want to enforce or manipulate others to their sense of "right" or such.

7. A steady job

Yeah this is one of those things everyone can't just opt out of, but it is a fact that the 9-5 bore of daily exhaustion to pay bills will almost always have a significant effect on serotonin down the road at least (unless you are one of the few lucky ones who can find a great work/life balance or combine them to work best and fulfill you).

8. Reading this post ... Just kidding (or maybe not). If you can think of more to add then go ahead and continue from 7 or 8 onwards and share our experiences with the hormone of happiness.

Do you think living at low altitude causes a stress reaction and serotonin too?

-Luke-

Isn't 2) just lack of natural sunlight and spending too much time indoors (with artificial light)? Regardless of what you do inside? I'm just surprised to see reading and writing here.

@Herbie:
I can relate to your experience. When I was still studying, I once had a job for 3 months where I could do more or less what I wanted. I was often surprised when I looked at the clock how much time had passed and 10 hours of work didn't feel stressful. And this was in an office (not perfect conditions) and the job was a typical low paying student job.

Then, when I started working permanently in a large company, with annoying and narcissistic supervisors, a lot completely pointless rules, little independence etc. I sometimes felt extremely stressed when not even two hours of the working day had passed.

Taxi drivers in general seem to be very nice people, at least in my experience.

Herbie

Isn't 2) just lack of natural sunlight and spending too much time indoors (with artificial light)? Regardless of what you do inside? I'm just surprised to see reading and writing here.

@Herbie:
I can relate to your experience. When I was still studying, I once had a job for 3 months where I could do more or less what I wanted. I was often surprised when I looked at the clock how much time had passed and 10 hours of work didn't feel stressful. And this was in an office (not perfect conditions) and the job was a typical low paying student job.

Then, when I started working permanently in a large company, with annoying and narcissistic supervisors, a lot completely pointless rules, little independence etc. I sometimes felt extremely stressed when not even two hours of the working day had passed.

Taxi drivers in general seem to be very nic people, at least in my experience.
Yeah amazing the difference. next time I start a new job I’m not going to stay long if it sucks and will keep job hoping to find a good one. It’s difficult because people act different at first then after a few months the reality sets in.

Yeah when I would go to the international airport to line up with hundreds of taxis I got to know heaps of old Greek and Italian and some old white taxi drivers and they were great people. And n. I would do that job forever but covid, Uber and the government ruined it.

pushkin

I think there is a difference between reading and writing for enquiry and stimulation and doing the same thing to 'fill a void', like if one is reading for some information or a particular 'experience', writing a letter to someone or writing a book or blog post etc. that has real meaning, which would come under the umbrella of Peat's 'stimulating the mind' theory. On the other hand, reading endless crime fiction (I know many people who do this and cant even recall a single detail of the book at a later date), scrolling facebook posts or writing a journal obsessively mulling over minutiae of one's life - those things fall into the latter category.

Like Charlie said, too much sun might not be good but balancing it properly is transformational - 'working' per se, is not bad for you, the type of work could be however.

-Luke-

I think there is a difference between reading and writing for enquiry and stimulation and doing the same thing to 'fill a void', like if one is reading for some information or a particular 'experience', writing a letter to someone or writing a book or blog post etc. that has real meaning, which would come under the umbrella of Peat's 'stimulating the mind' theory. On the other hand, reading endless crime fiction (I know many people who do this and cant even recall a single detail of the book at a later date), scrolling facebook posts or writing a journal obsessively mulling over minutiae of one's life - those things fall into the latter category.

Like Charlie said, too much sun might not be good but balancing it properly is transformational - 'working' per se, is not bad for you, the type of work could be however.
Yes, those are some good points. I certainly notice a difference between doing something because I want it to on the one side or doing something to distract myself and kill time, or because I tell myself I have to do it even though I feel an aversion to it. When I was still using social media and often browsing the internet for hours just to kill time, I noticed that I often felt completely drained of energy at the end of the day.

pushkin

Yes, those are some good points. I certainly notice a difference between doing something because I want it to on the one side or doing something to distract myself and kill time, or because I tell myself I have to do it even though I feel an aversion to it. When I was still using social media and often browsing the internet for hours just to kill time, I noticed that I often felt completely drained of energy at the end of the day.
yes, social media does that to me too, I get completely listless and somehow more jealous of those people I have seen on feeds living 'glamorous' lives. I think the danger is that it can creep up on you unawares - so that you only realise it has affected you when you stop and return to the real world. Some books and films do that to me too. I follow a handful of 'meaningful' accounts on instagram that I feel good about and never really got on with facebook.

Rafe

This exactly.

Gbriel

Too much sunlight. Hit it just right though, and serotonin is crushed, dopamine flourishes.
Hmm I wonder if this explains my short temperedness towards the end of the day. I live in AZ and am a pool guy so me and the sun are very intimate lol. I definitely experts some fatigue from the sun but never related it to seratonin. Any suggestions to prevent excess serotonin?

LadyRae

Everything on that list, especially the reading/writing, & having a job where you carry out directives or instructions.

Add: being around compulsive talkers.
Yes!- compulsive talkers... I feel myself glazing over?

parallax

#6 is particularly interesting to me. I withhold judgement as to the multitude of factors or exact etiology, but I have certain people in my life who appear to effect my health by their physical presence. Certainly my own psychology is a prime suspect, and psychoneuroimmunology may have something to say about it. I do believe I can overcome these effects by my mind (or spirit) by thoughts (or meditation).

JamesGatz

Something to add about music:

I believe calming music with little to no words keeps serotonin low

Music like rap, where there is WAY TOO MUCH talking raises serotonin I believe