Expensive Peat Practitioners

dietf***ed

A distorted idea of human nature is sold when people are treated as "the market."

So I set out to try and locate a Peat practitioner. Here is what I found (sorted by personal preference):
1. Rob Turner @ Functional Performance Systems: 12 sessions for 850 or pay as you go at 120. Phone consultations last 30 or 60 minute for $50 or $100 respectively. Also, very helpful on his FB page.
2. Danny Roddy: $3.33/min. The Peat Whisperer book at $47 (10% of sales donated to RP).
3. East West Healing: 8 hours, $1200.. The Metabolic blueprint cookbook is $37. Also offers a silver/gold/platinum metabolic blueprint package on huge sales :roll:

Now, lets look at Matt Stone's business model. He puts out a book at 99 cents and announces it on his blog and his followers soon flood Amazon with amazing reviews. After some time he raises the price to $9.99. His followers get his work for practically nothing and they then help him sell more at an increased price with their positive reviews - a mutually beneficial model.

I just hope Peat 'trains' people who can carry on his work with a philosophy of spreading his knowledge. I have nothing against people making money but some of the prices in the Peatarian world leave me a bit stumped.

Isadora

OMG, I didn't have the slightest idea about those price ranges! 3.33/min??? I take back mentioning as a "value added proposition" Danny Roddy's offer, all I knew was that he charged $47 for a "translation" of Peat's work. That still seemed to me, personally, as too much money to spend for stuff I can study on my own, so I preferred to order all Ray Peat's books and subscribe to his newsletter instead. Buying Roddy's book meant sending $4.7 Peat's way, I preferred to have my money go to the author of that research and knowledge, not to a mere translator/interpreter of his vision. But I recognized that for those who preferred a "whisperer", it might be a good idea.

And I didn't know Stone's "book" was ever 99c... I did pay $10 for not a lot of info...

Pretty amazing, bearing in mind that much of the science behind Peat's work is still under debate by the scientific community and needs serious studies behind it. We are all "Peat practitioners" here, we use his theories on our own bodies. Do we deserve $3.33/min when we share what we learned? Maybe even more, because we write about it, so hey, Charlie, consider paying us $6.66/paragraph... But then we'd have to pay you back the same amount and you wrote all those messages, so we're even. How about the readers who don't ever share stories? They are getting all this value for free! Including the above mentioned practitioners, who I am sure come here often and use our experience to further their knowledge base on what can happen when you follow Dr.Peat's advice. Hello, guys! Profitable lurking to y'all! :rofl

Which brings me to yet another point I wanted to make: one would think that after 15000 messages debating his doctrine, Dr. Peat himself would descend from his scientific height and say hello. Hello, Dr. Peat, if you're reading this! Were you aware how much your "practitioners" are charging? Down here, we are pretty sure you had no idea.

dietf***ed said:
I just hope Peat 'trains' people who can carry on his work with a philosophy of spreading his knowledge. I have nothing against people making money but some of the prices in the Peatarian world leave me a bit stumped.

I am sure all those "practitioners" did was to buy the books and subscribe to the newsletters. They may have also done something I didn't do (yet), but many others here did, namely have some email exchanges and phone conversations with Dr. Peat.

OP
D

dietf***ed

Isadora said:
And I didn't know Stone's "book" was ever 99c... I did pay $10 for not a lot of info...
Well, if you ignore the content for a while, you'd have to agree that Mr. Stone knows marketing better than most! Check this out:
http://180degreehealth.com/2013/02/diet ... althy-food
His strategy helped propel him to the top of the best seller list on Diets & Weight Loss on Amazon. Even if Danny's book is better written that's not going to happen given that he has priced himself out.

Isadora said:
We are all "Peat practitioners" here, we use his theories on our own bodies.
Very true. I'm thinking of taking all the quotes from the advisory thread and putting together a " top 10 quotes from RP" for just $6.66 :twisted: But seriously, the "Peat Practitioner" market is ripe for disruption by someone who brings down these absurd prices. I guess once Stone gets tired of putting on weight on his current regimen, he might just swing back to a Peat approach and provide that much needed jolt with his creativity and mass pricing models. Or who knows, we could motivate Charlie to jump into the fray ;)

Isadora said:
... who I am sure come here often and use our experience to further their knowledge base on what can happen when you follow Dr.Peat's advice. Hello, guys! Profitable lurking to y'all! :rofl
:lol:

Isadora said:
Which brings me to yet another point I wanted to make: one would think that after 15000 messages debating his doctrine, Dr. Peat himself would descend from his scientific height and say hello.
He is of course extremely accessible over email and interviews and such. He admiration for JC Bose who famously was not a big fan of patents also speaks about his philosophy of sharing ideas freely. His pricing of his newsletter at 2$ looks really funny in the context of the prices above. So i doubt if he'd approve! This forum with its exchange of ideas and experiences is more Peatarian than anything else out there.

Isadora

dietf***ed said:
Isadora said:
Well, if you ignore the content for a while, you'd have to agree that Mr. Stone knows marketing better than most! Check this out:
http://180degreehealth.com/2013/02/diet ... althy-food
His strategy helped propel him to the top of the best seller list on Diets & Weight Loss on Amazon. Even if Danny's book is better written that's not going to happen given that he has priced himself out.

Yes, he is brilliant at this game. To have me buy 99c worth of contents for ten times that... Will this happen again? Not bloody likely.

dietf***ed said:
Isadora said:
We are all "Peat practitioners" here, we use his theories on our own bodies.
Very true. I'm thinking of taking all the quotes from the advisory thread and putting together a " top 10 quotes from RP" for just $6.66 :twisted: But seriously, the "Peat Practitioner" market is ripe for disruption by someone who brings down these absurd prices. I guess once Stone gets tired of putting on weight on his current regimen, he might just swing back to a Peat approach and provide that much needed jolt with his creativity and mass pricing models. Or who knows, we could motivate Charlie to jump into the fray ;)
I'm not sure what Charlie can do on his own as a writer, perhaps you know him better... But maybe if several of us put our heads and experiences together, something of value could be written and might find its way out there. It is needed to counteract the Lustig/Paleo momentum and to help out the folks who will end their Paleo experiences with low thyroid numbers.

Speaking of marketing and Lustig, check out Andrew Kim getting an echo of the Colbert bump, unbelievable! Someone (I'm not saying it was himself) found fit to post a link to his blog post right under Colbert's Lustig interview on the Comedy Central site... Then someone else posted two Ray Peat links, so I expect new curious minds heading in his direction. It would be nice to see Dr. Peat on the Daily Show or the Colbert Report one day -- but from what I heard his plans for the future were, no popular science or diet book was in the making... :)

dietf***ed said:
This forum with its exchange of ideas and experiences is more Peatarian than anything else out there.

I thought so too..:)

gabriel79

Isadora said:
Including the above mentioned practitioners, who I am sure come here often and use our experience to further their knowledge base on what can happen when you follow Dr.Peat's advice. Hello, guys! Profitable lurking to y'all! :rofl
Jaja... ¿Remember Isadora a couple of days ago I shared my father's experience healing wounds with white sugar (3/27 in the morning)? I was surprised at the "coincidence" that the following articles on wounds and sugar came out the same day from FPS (27/3 late afternoon):
http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2013/0 ... as-healer/

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Isadora said:
I'm not sure what Charlie can do on his own as a writer, perhaps you know him better...

Is you trying to tale me that my wrighting skillz are the suckz? :lol: I agree. ;) But I do good enough to get my point across most of the time.

But maybe if several of us put our heads and experiences together, something of value could be written and might find its way out there. It is needed to counteract the Lustig/Paleo momentum and to help out the folks who will end their Paleo experiences with low thyroid numbers.

And I think you are correct. We just have not had anyone who was able to coordinate an effort like this yet. I am doing all I can. Help from the community on this effort would really take this movement up a few levels. I think its really needed. Just imagine the bigger impact we could make if this was done. And how much easier it would be for people to dive into Ray's work if they had some kind of summary to start off with.

OP
D

dietf***ed

Charlie said:
Is you trying to tale me that my wrighting skillz are the suckz? :lol: I agree. ;) But I do good enough to get my point across most of the time.

:lol:

Charlie said:
But maybe if several of us put our heads and experiences together, something of value could be written and might find its way out there. It is needed to counteract the Lustig/Paleo momentum and to help out the folks who will end their Paleo experiences with low thyroid numbers.

I think the definition of Paleo will keep 'evolving'. I think some of the Paleo High priests have already spoken about the dangers of over consumption of muscle meat. Now that white rice has been admitted into the paleosphere, I think it only a matter of time that sugar (fruit first) will also slowly make its way in. Or perhaps it might be a new diet which convinces the fruitarians to consume a lil animal food ;)

But my original post here was not directed at the Paleo crowd and was more directed at Peatarians themselves. In terms of distilling this information and championing this diet, we currently only have what seems to be 'exclusive' luxury services (at least in terms of pricing). But, there will always be a market for both Ferrari's and Honda's. And we lack the latter at the moment. Or to use another idiotic analogy, the open source alternative to a Microsoft/Oracle etc. :ugeek:

Isadora

Yes, you did convince me... I will embark on the open source project with a few people I might feel comfortable collaborating with. For instance, yourself, especially if you are the author of the blog formerly known as "dietf***ed" which had the best summary of Peat's diet I have ever read..:)

OP
D

dietf***ed

Isadora said:
if you are the author of the blog formerly known as "dietf***ed" which had the best summary of Peat's diet I have ever read

This is the second time someone has asked me about the above blog and to be very honest I had no clue about the same when I signed up here. I'd love to chat with that blog author though as its seems our great minds think alike :drinkingbuddies Unfortunately, I can't seem to access that blog.

Isadora

Never mind that person, then. I take it you are not interested in the project? Too bad, I'll find somebody else or just do it on my own, it may be even easier.

T

tobieagle

Charlie said:
Isadora said:
I'm not sure what Charlie can do on his own as a writer, perhaps you know him better...

And I think you are correct. We just have not had anyone who was able to coordinate an effort like this yet. I am doing all I can. Help from the community on this effort would really take this movement up a few levels. I think its really needed. Just imagine the bigger impact we could make if this was done. And how much easier it would be for people to dive into Ray's work if they had some kind of summary to start off with.

Would be great to have a kind of ebook with a summary of his approach. Put that thing on amazon for 50c xD

Dan W

In defense of those high prices, I know that Rob and Danny (and probably Josh) are busy people who give a ton of their work away for free. I think of those offerings as paying them big bucks to stop what they're doing and solve problems for you ;)

As far as finding a Peat-practitioner, I think Key was offering some affordable consultations.

Swandattur

I haven't read much of what these people who interpret RayPeat write. If Matt Stone put out an ebook for 90 cents and then later raised the price to ten dollars, that isn't bad if the book was actually worth ten dollars. That just means he offered the book at a reduced price to get people to buy it and to hopefully like it and write good reviews. So, then if he raised the price and it's worth it, what's wrong with that? If the book is a helpful interpretation of Peat's work, then ten dollars seems pretty inexpensive next to the others. I'm not so sure about those people around Ray Peat. Do they know what they're talking about? What are their credentials? They appear a little greedy and unPeat like to charge such high fees. Excuse the religious reference here, but it seems sort of apropos, but what if Jesus's disciples went forth and charged big bucks to spread His word? I mean Jesus was a reformer and wanted to help people have better lives. There are similarities, as well, with other reformers, well known and not so well known. Not getting weird, here.

4peatssake

Swandattur said:
Excuse the religious reference here, but it seems sort of apropos, but what if Jesus's disciples went forth and charged big bucks to spread His word? I mean Jesus was a reformer and wanted to help people have better lives. There are similarities, as well, with other reformers, well known and not so well known. Not getting weird, here.

Well, if you're going to bring Jesus into the conversation perhaps His words may be apropos. ;)

"Judge not lest ye be judged"

Oh how I hope I've not opened Pandora's Box! :lol:

4peatssake

4peatssake said:
Swandattur said:
Excuse the religious reference here, but it seems sort of apropos, but what if Jesus's disciples went forth and charged big bucks to spread His word? I mean Jesus was a reformer and wanted to help people have better lives. There are similarities, as well, with other reformers, well known and not so well known. Not getting weird, here.

Well, if you're going to bring Jesus into the conversation perhaps His words may be apropos. ;)

"Judge not lest ye be judged"

Oh how I hope I've not opened Pandora's Box! :lol:

I should clarify my comment.

I am not being specific here nor calling any individual out. I am simply cautioning against making judgements about a particular individual without having all the necessary information to draw an accurate conclusion.

peace.gif

Swandattur

As I said I don't know much about any of them, but I haven't seen anything on their sites that say what their qualifications are, except Lita Lee. I also am saying that some of the rates seem rather high. If you know something about some of these people, I would be interested to know. It just seems like Ray Peat himself is not that money oriented. So, for these Peat interpreters to charge so much seems not quite right. I do like all the Peat articles on one of them, can't think of the name. You write as though I spoke rabidly against somebody, which I did not.

Swandattur

Actually, I was saying something good about Matt Stone. I didn't think ten dollars sounded that bad. The religious reference was due to the fact that Ray Peat seems to be a reformer and a humanitarian, and we people who are trying to find help for our afflictions do tend to get a tad religious about it. It just naturally came to mind for those reasons, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom