Diamox-no Longer Available In USA

Jackrabbit

Hello, so I’m thinking there really is a conspiracy against people actually getting well in this country. Diamox, aka acetazolamide, is one of the few drugs that is promising for people with certain health conditions. To name a few which I currently struggle with: migraine, pmdd (severe pms), sleep apnea and depression (mdd). Well, actually I don’t believe it has been directly studied on mdd but it has in schizophrenia and been successful and brains of people with mdd have been found to have higher levels of carbonic anhydrase, so it’s worth a shot for that along with all the others.

Long story short I have decided it’s high time I give it a go, especially on days 14-28 of my cycle. However most doctors I have met with have NEVER EVEN HEARD OF IT! Then upon checking one of the doctors announced the drug diamox is no longer approved in the US, which I think is just appalling. Of course none of them have ever mentioned it to me as a possible treatment despite my particular list of issues. I’m hoping there’s still a generic because I’m really sick of feeling like I’m dying. My blood pressure has also skyrocketed over the past few months which is alarming to say the least, but when I took acetazolamide temporarily a few months back it actually went back to a normal range in a matter of about three days.

I’d appreciate any words of advice about obtaining it. I’m giving docs the story that I’m going to be vacationing in high altitude and it helped in the past, which should give me enough to last until I get some from Mexico. But more importantly does anyone else think this is absurd and reveals a true lack of awareness on the part of the medical community ? I hate having to lie to get a medication but I’m willing to do it because I know it’s right for me. Again, I’ve tried it before and had major relief in sleep and blood pressure although I never took it long enough to see results in the migraines and pmdd/depression. My plan is to take 125 mg.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
There was someone receiving it at my work within the last month and I work in the US. I’m pretty certain it is at least available in extended release.
You can legally order enough for your personal use online. I’ve ordered it from in-house chemist in the past and it worked as expected.
This is the link to the product I bought.
InhouseChemist.vu

OP
J

Jackrabbit

There was someone receiving it at my work within the last month and I work in the US. I’m pretty certain it is at least available in extended release.
You can legally order enough for your personal use online. I’ve ordered it from in-house chemist in the past and it worked as expected.
This is the link to the product I bought.
InhouseChemist.vu
Thank you Blossom!

aguilaroja

Hello, so I’m thinking there really is a conspiracy against people actually getting well in this country. Diamox, aka acetazolamide,
However most doctors I have met with have NEVER EVEN HEARD OF IT! Then upon checking one of the doctors announced the drug diamox is no longer approved in the US...
My blood pressure has also skyrocketed over the past few months which is alarming to say the least, but when I took acetazolamide temporarily a few months back it actually went back to a normal range in a matter of about three days.

Diamox (Acetazolamide) has been around for 70 plus years. It is certainly still used for altitude sickness, and other things. Any doctor should have heard of it (by generic name, at least), though they may not remember it from their study.

It is listed on websites (like GoodRx.com) as being available at the major pharmacy chains. The diuretic action of Diamox is well known. If it worked well previously in lowering blood pressure, it might be good to mention that to a prescribing doctor.

Diamox pricing is many times higher in North America than some other parts of the world. It may reflect escalation of prices as with other generic pharmaceuticals.

It would be surprising in a bad way if a basic drug like this was entirely unavailable in a large nation.

Acetazolamide - Wikipedia
"Acetazolamide...is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the most effective and safe medicines needed in a health system. "

OP
J

Jackrabbit

Diamox (Acetazolamide) has been around for 70 plus years. It is certainly still used for altitude sickness, and other things. Any doctor should have heard of it (by generic name, at least), though they may not remember it from their study.

It is listed on websites (like GoodRx.com) as being available at the major pharmacy chains. The diuretic action of Diamox is well known. If it worked well previously in lowering blood pressure, it might be good to mention that to a prescribing doctor.

Diamox pricing is many times higher in North America than some other parts of the world. It may reflect escalation of prices as with other generic pharmaceuticals.

It would be surprising in a bad way if a basic drug like this was entirely unavailable in a large nation.

Acetazolamide - Wikipedia
"Acetazolamide...is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the most effective and safe medicines needed in a health system. "
Yeah she basically looked it up on her cell phone right in front of me and said it was no longer approved in the us. But I don’t doubt that she is wrong! She said she had no idea there was a such thing as altitude sickness medication and she grew up in Colorado and never heard of anyone ever needing it. Occasionally I’ll read in the news about someone who died on a hike at high altitude so obviously she has no idea what she’s talking about. But it annoys me because people like her think it’s just something you have to deal with, her words. So does that mean you should just wait out the cerebral and pulmonary edema?! Lol

whit

It is not recommended to be taken with asprin.
I wonder why?

michael94

Yeah she basically looked it up on her cell phone right in front of me and said it was no longer approved in the us. But I don’t doubt that she is wrong! She said she had no idea there was a such thing as altitude sickness medication and she grew up in Colorado and never heard of anyone ever needing it. Occasionally I’ll read in the news about someone who died on a hike at high altitude so obviously she has no idea what she’s talking about. But it annoys me because people like her think it’s just something you have to deal with, her words. So does that mean you should just wait out the cerebral and pulmonary edema?! Lol
and make sure to take lots of fluids

aquaman

Peat mentions in the December KMUD interview that various drug companies are researching enzymes similar to Acetazolamide for cancer treatments. Maybe they’re pressuring the industry to stop prescribing Acetazolamide?

OP
J

Jackrabbit

Peat mentions in the December KMUD interview that various drug companies are researching enzymes similar to Acetazolamide for cancer treatments. Maybe they’re pressuring the industry to stop prescribing Acetazolamide?
I was able to get a prescription after all, I’m pretty sure that doctor didn’t know what she was talking about.

Beastmode

I just received my Acetazolamide.

How many mg does everyone take?
Do you go by bodyweight to determine your usage?
Does anyone break it up throughout the day?

Thank you

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals