Sleep Suffering - Protein Cut Off Time? Meals into the night if overweight?

MountainMouse

My nervous system is extremely sensitive as im recovering from CFSME which lead to dysautonomia and I’m just starting to heal on 10mcg T3 with breakfast, 10mcg with lunch + b vitamins and 1 grain with dinner. Im starting to have a good week at a time :) then a setback for a few days. My setbacks always revolve around doing too much but whatever I do, I can’t kick this 4am adrenaline rush even if I wakeup to eat at 2am. I’m not sleeping soundly either, waking up a lot. My nervous system is still so sensitive that the adrenaline really f’s me up.

I’m eating too much protein into the afternoon and night (steak/rice at 6pm then 20g protein cheese before bed with apple juice and salt. Would steak be at say 4pm cut off be ok? What would be some good meals to try into the night if I have an extra layer of fat on me (6’6 245 - like to be 225), so ice cream prob not ideal.

Anyone that had success with limiting protein into the afternoon and night, please share.

Last edited:
My nervous system is extremely sensitive as im recovering from CFSME and I’m just starting to heal on 10mcg T3 with breakfast, 10mcg with lunch + b vitamins and 1 grain with dinner. Im starting to have a good week at a time :) then a setback for a few days. My setbacks always revolve around doing too much but whatever I do, I can’t kick this 4am adrenaline rush even if I wakeup to eat at 2am. I’m not sleeping soundly either, waking up a lot. My nervous system is still so sensitive that the adrenaline really f’s me up.

I’m eating too much protein into the afternoon and night (steak/rice at 6pm then 20g protein cheese before bed with apple juice and salt. Would steak be at say 4pm cut off be ok? What would be some good meals to try into the night if I have an extra layer of fat on me (6’6 245 - like to be 225), so ice cream prob not ideal.

Anyone that had success with limiting protein into the afternoon and night, please share.
Ray Peat has said to have your proteins during the day and carbs at night, so it was my fault for not heeding that advice long ago. I started the “Sleep” thread, linked below, in an attempt to get to the bottom of why I have always had sleep trouble and meat at night was a big culprit. For dinner now I have potato, rice or cheese dishes mostly, maybe a soup with shellfish, eggs or generally breakfast for dinner. Shellfish seems to help me sleep, unlike fish or other muscle meats. Here are some of my meatless dinner suggestions….

Attachments

• DBDFFDDF-C055-48D6-BBC8-7A28A6577199.jpeg
    DBDFFDDF-C055-48D6-BBC8-7A28A6577199.jpeg
    851 KB · Views: 39
  • E9F21E46-74A4-41E4-AE9A-BA3DA94369AC.jpeg
    E9F21E46-74A4-41E4-AE9A-BA3DA94369AC.jpeg
    422.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 03627BB9-9DBE-43DB-8B2F-F6BC3E1532F9.jpeg
    03627BB9-9DBE-43DB-8B2F-F6BC3E1532F9.jpeg
    983.4 KB · Views: 34
  • D6E57399-DE77-457C-88C0-89F596E2BA01.jpeg
    D6E57399-DE77-457C-88C0-89F596E2BA01.jpeg
    285.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 3F16E819-EA1A-4001-BD2A-BE1A73EEA704.jpeg
    3F16E819-EA1A-4001-BD2A-BE1A73EEA704.jpeg
    526.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 6070E4C5-7638-4AFD-B1E9-0322487D97E5.jpeg
    6070E4C5-7638-4AFD-B1E9-0322487D97E5.jpeg
    508.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 550E521A-DB85-4B2F-9BE0-7D2FC112B37E.jpeg
    550E521A-DB85-4B2F-9BE0-7D2FC112B37E.jpeg
    635 KB · Views: 34
  • F439A16F-4ECA-4E08-A78A-2F001696AE00.jpeg
    F439A16F-4ECA-4E08-A78A-2F001696AE00.jpeg
    398.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 4F30B18C-5A43-4FFB-98CF-763D34E02B6B.jpeg
    4F30B18C-5A43-4FFB-98CF-763D34E02B6B.jpeg
    462.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 64089649-9BB6-4BCA-9C45-727ABD2B19D7.jpeg
    64089649-9BB6-4BCA-9C45-727ABD2B19D7.jpeg
    407.7 KB · Views: 37
OP
M

MountainMouse

Ray Peat has said to have your proteins during the day and carbs at night, so it was my fault for not heeding that advice long ago. I started the “Sleep” thread, linked below, in an attempt to get to the bottom of why I have always had sleep trouble and meat at night was a big culprit. For dinner now I have potato, rice or cheese dishes mostly, maybe a soup with shellfish, eggs or generally breakfast for dinner. Shellfish seems to help me sleep, unlike fish or other muscle meats. Here are some of my meatless dinner suggestions….

Can I rent a house next door to where you live and pay you to cook amazing meals? ;) (just kidding). You are awesome, thank you for sending me that 🙏. I’m going to make some of those meals.

So what time do you stop eating meat? And you have one of those for your like 5-7pm meal? Then anything before bed?

Can I rent a house next door to where you live and pay you to cook amazing meals? ;) (just kidding). You are awesome, thank you for sending me that 🙏. I’m going to make some of those meals.

So what time do you stop eating meat? And you have one of those for your like 5-7pm meal? Then anything before bed?
Yes!! We need to start a Ray Peat commune, with a fresh stream running through it, and I will be the cook!

I eat my meats until probably 3:00 because my bedtime is around 10:30. If it were my boil and bake prayed chicken wings of fish I can push those to 5:00. I drink the majority of my milk throughout the day, which Ray Peat recommended too. I try to have my evening meatless meal about 3 hours before bedtime, and have snacks if I get hungry after that, like maybe an egg yolk or a few macadamias with a couple of oranges, juiced and strained, a spoonful of raw honey with a half cup of milk, or a spoonful of my homemade coconut oil peanut butter with some jelly, sometimes I put it on a torn corner of soft potato bread, but don’t tell anybody I did that 🤭

Attachments

• 5C375FB3-7A89-46E4-8A2D-E2DFCD301A78.jpeg
    5C375FB3-7A89-46E4-8A2D-E2DFCD301A78.jpeg
    344.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 33635447-D580-4500-9EF9-57536D960932.jpeg
    33635447-D580-4500-9EF9-57536D960932.jpeg
    418.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 2361B42D-9369-4727-A339-6E39DD6EE695.jpeg
    2361B42D-9369-4727-A339-6E39DD6EE695.jpeg
    726.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 6D12CE31-40D1-4829-9915-988DAD0A6A3E.jpeg
    6D12CE31-40D1-4829-9915-988DAD0A6A3E.jpeg
    458.1 KB · Views: 18
OP
M

MountainMouse

Lol. Your cooking looks so delicious! Thank you again for breaking that down.

I’m going to try that this week. Will have last meat meal around 330ish then I’m going to make a potato soup with a little bone broth and eat that around 630-7. I’ll report back on how it goes.

For the potato soup single portion’ish - what do you think about 60g carbs with 20g fat?

Lol. Your cooking looks so delicious! Thank you again for breaking that down.

I’m going to try that this week. Will have last meat meal around 330ish then I’m going to make a potato soup with a little bone broth and eat that around 630-7. I’ll report back on how it goes.

For the potato soup single portion’ish - what do you think about 60g carbs with 20g fat?
I don’t micro manage my carbs and calories, just fat to some degree. I don’t like being full when I sleep, and hungry is about the same. I would only worry about the portion control if you are wanting to lose weight. Eat enough of your dinner to satisfy you without feeling uncomfortable. If you have some, have a spoonful of raw honey right before sleep, it works wonders. If I wake up in the night, I have another one and I zonk right back out. I look forward to hearing back from you, how things go.

OP
M

MountainMouse

I don’t micro manage my carbs and calories, just fat to some degree. I don’t like being full when I sleep, and hungry is about the same. I would only worry about the portion control if you are wanting to lose weight. Eat enough of your dinner to satisfy you without feeling uncomfortable. If you have some, have a spoonful of raw honey right before sleep, it works wonders. If I wake up in the night, I have another one and I zonk right back out. I look forward to hearing back from you, how things go.
IMG_2592.jpeg

Made potato soup (broth, onions, celery, carrot, garlic) with 2 pieces of bacon. Added sour cream, salt and a little parm reg. Was unreal. Made enough for a few nights. Will let you know if adrenaline subsides. Last protein meal at 3:30.

OLLNX

My nervous system is extremely sensitive as im recovering from CFSME which lead to dysautonomia and I’m just starting to heal on 10mcg T3 with breakfast, 10mcg with lunch + b vitamins and 1 grain with dinner. Im starting to have a good week at a time :) then a setback for a few days. My setbacks always revolve around doing too much but whatever I do, I can’t kick this 4am adrenaline rush even if I wakeup to eat at 2am. I’m not sleeping soundly either, waking up a lot. My nervous system is still so sensitive that the adrenaline really f’s me up.

How often do you have steak? I would not do it more than once a week if that. Replace muscle meat with crustaceans if possible. Almost all store bought ice cream contain carrageenan (awful stuff).
Before bed I have orange juice with parmesan or 2% fat milk with some white sugar. Knocks me out in no time.

Also, is there a place where you list your recipes?
Here are some of my other recipe threads …

OP
M

MountainMouse

I love it, “unreal”! It really is worthwhile to coow
How often do you have steak? I would not do it more than once a week if that. Replace muscle meat with crustaceans if possible. Almost all store bought ice cream contain carrageenan (awful stuff).
Before bed I have orange juice with parmesan or 2% fat milk with some white sugar. Knocks me out in no time.

It’s hard because I weigh 245 and am pretty active so I typically have steak daily. Can you give me an example of what your day looks like eating and the type of crustaceans?

Last edited:
OP
M

MountainMouse

I love it, “unreal”! It really is worthwhile to cook.
Woke up once and spoonful of honey. Made it to 5:15 with only a light adrenaline wakeup. I think it will get better as time goes on.

Thank you for the recipes!!

Last edited:

OLLNX

I am 6'2/225. Somewhere around 12-13% body fat. Walk 3 miles a day + 3 times a week boxing training sessions + weekend sparrings. Once a week short/ heavy lifting sessions. Generally, no more than 30 mins. Is that active? Not sure.

1.5 cups of 2%milk with 3 heaping teaspoon of white sugar first thing in the morning. Morning 3 miles walk. First coffee with milk and sugar (same amount). Lunch at noon. Raw carrot + 2 whole eggs + 100g of wild shrimp, all fried in generous amount of hydrogenated coconut oil + 2 cups of orange juice. 2 PM second coffee with milk and sugar. 4 PM A cup of orange juice + some sort of hard cheese. Usually parmesan. 5:30 PM Coffee with milk and sugar. Training session. 7 PM 100g shrimp fried in coconut oil + 1 cup of orange juice. 9 PM 2 cups of milk with sugar. 11 PM 1 - 2 cups of milk with sugar or cheese with orange juice. Something like that...
I alternate wild shrimp with steamed warm water lobster tails. Beef liver once a week. Not much muscle meat, if at all. Boiled chicken drumsticks once in a blue moon. I remove skin and skim fat. Oysters or mussels once or twice a week.

I know, not much variety, but I am happy with what I have.

hierundjetzt

I think the honey is a real good idea if you wake up at night. But I wonder how do you manage not to get cavities? Do you quickly bruch your teeth afterwards? But I guess that would really wake you up for good then...

I think the honey is a real good idea if you wake up at night. But I wonder how do you manage not to get cavities? Do you quickly bruch your teeth afterwards? But I guess that would really wake you up for good then...
Cavities are more from the internal diet, lack of minerals from grains, and their anti-nutrient activity, lack of calcium and lack of vitamin D which is necessary for mineralization. Truely raw honey helps to fight cavities. I take my first spoonful of raw honey AFTER I brush my teeth. I have no morning breath with my nighttime honey routine….

“Honey can help treat gum diseases, including gingivitis, bleeding, and receding gums. 95% of adults have periodontal disease at least once in their lives. If it becomes severe, your teeth will begin moving out of place. The bacteria inhabiting an oral cavity causes inflammation, so the best way to prevent gingivitis is to kick out that bacteria!

When you mix honey with water, an enzyme in honey called glucose oxidase produces hydrogen peroxide. The production of hydrogen peroxide is the primary reason for its antimicrobial activity. Research from Dr. Peter C. Molan of the University of Waikato in New Zealand showed that certain types of honey help prevent cavities because of their antimicrobial potency. You can even place honey directly on the site of inflammation or infection in the mouth. Honey’s antibacterial properties flush out harmful bacteria.

By fighting the bacteria, honey reduces the amount of acid your mouth produces. Without that acid, bacteria can no longer produce dextran, which is essentially the “glue” that helps bacteria attach to the tooth surface. Bacteria become plaque, which eventually can harden into what leads to gum disease and tooth decay.“

Woke up once and spoonful of honey. Made it to 5:15 with only a light adrenaline wakeup. I think it will get better as time goes on.

Thank you for the recipes!!
An extra hour is a good start! That is how my sleep got better, little at a time. Skip the bacon in your soup next time and see what happens?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom