Weather, Migraines, Depression

Frankdee20

The weather in NYC is sub tropical and disgusting. It has rained for 7 ******* days and I’m at my wits end. Is there a link between changes in barometric pressure, headaches, and depression related to this ? If I don’t have a migraine, then my mood will tank. It’s one or the other when it’s overcast like this. The sun hasn’t come out in 7 days and I’m miserable. I’m moving back to Florida in ten months, at least it only rains for a bit, then the sun shines again. I hate NY

zewe

I'm very sensitive to barometric pressure. We've had hot muggy rainy weather all summer in Pittsburgh area and I hate it too. AC running constantly with me staring out through the cracks in the blinds!

I just adapt and go out early in morning and evening.....not much sun with all the rain. Can't wait 4 winter.....watch we'll get pummeled with snow and freezing temps.

alywest

The weather in NYC is sub tropical and disgusting. It has rained for 7 ******* days and I’m at my wits end. Is there a link between changes in barometric pressure, headaches, and depression related to this ? If I don’t have a migraine, then my mood will tank. It’s one or the other when it’s overcast like this. The sun hasn’t come out in 7 days and I’m miserable. I’m moving back to Florida in ten months, at least it only rains for a bit, then the sun shines again. I hate NY

Interesting you should ask, I just came across this awesome resource:

New York Migraine Headache Weather - AccuWeather for NY 10007

It will give you a migraine forecast based on weather conditions. The question is whether the weather triggers your migraines or something else. It's definitely proven. I don't understand how or why, though, I'm pretty sure no one really does.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

Interesting you should ask, I just came across this awesome resource:

New York Migraine Headache Weather - AccuWeather for NY 10007

It will give you a migraine forecast based on weather conditions. The question is whether the weather triggers your migraines or something else. It's definitely proven. I don't understand how or why, though, I'm pretty sure no one really does.

Lol, wow. It’s something for sure related to it, but likely happens during overcast days. Interestingly they have it as beneficial today, but I feel like ***t. Even my eyes change, they feel funny and look spacey

alywest

Lol, wow. It’s something for sure related to it, but likely happens during overcast days. Interestingly they have it as beneficial today, but I feel like ***t. Even my eyes change, they feel funny and look spacey
Actually it says Migraine headache weather today then tomorrow it's beneficial, if you're in nyc. I have been using lisuride with caffeine to prevent migraines, then using a beta blocker if I feel one coming on. If you have enough warning you can usually nip it in the bud, but if it goes too long it's hard to stop the pain. If you know you get weather related migraines that's half the battle, you can track it with the weather and be on the alert.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

Anyone have feedback on Feverfew or Ginger regarding headache relief ? They have anti Serotonin activity, especially Feverfew. Today is really bad I can’t take it. I’m not saying Serotonin could be causing this, clearly the overcast clouds set in today, and it hit me.

Peat Tong

Zewe, I'm in Pittsburgh, too! The humidity takes the energy out of me. Can't wait for Fall. Ray has talked about humidity being a stressor. I never thought about barometric pressure.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

Zewe, I'm in Pittsburgh, too! The humidity takes the energy out of me. Can't wait for Fall. Ray has talked about humidity being a stressor. I never thought about barometric pressure.

What works for you ?

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

Air condition. A whole-home dehumidifier would be nice. I'd make it like Arizona in here.

Oh for sure, but what about headaches, and that strange feeling behind your eyes, when sinus pressure is effected ?

Elephanto

Rain improves my mood, gives a sense of calm that corresponds to low Serotonin. This is supported by the fact that it creates negative ions which inhibit Serotonin, the same as home air ionizer do. Personally it has been years since I've last had an headache and higher atmospheric pressure don't cause it, when I used to get them I also used to breath shallowly and were pseudo-hyperventilating when stressed.

Also, a short protocol of Methylene Blue which stimulates mitochondrial respiration could have long-lasting benefits.

Last edited:

Elephanto

I have another idea that could help since I made the link with hyperventilating (decreasing CO2) and my past headaches occurence. Haidut made a post on Reddit 3 years ago, and I quote :
Another good method to reduce adenosine and increase cell oxygenation would be to increase CO2 levels in the blood. You know what increases CO2 levels in the blood? Among other things, good old baking soda. Take 20g daily in divided doses of 5g each and watch your blood oxygenation levels climb from the "normal" 95%-96% for a middle-aged decrepit citizen/zombie to the 99% of a 20-year old athlete.

Proper breathing method, bag breathing, Vitamin B1, switching from fat oxidation to glucose oxidation (decreasing total fat intake and pufas, Niacinamide and 1-2tsps of Palmitic Acid) will also help achieve higher CO2 levels.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

Rain improves my mood, gives a sense of calm that corresponds to low Serotonin. This is supported by the fact that it creates negative ions which inhibit Serotonin, the same as home air ionizer do. Personally it has been years since I've last had an headache and higher atmospheric pressure don't cause it, when I used to get them I also used to breath shallowly and were pseudo-hyperventilating when stressed.

Also, a short protocol of Methylene Blue which stimulates mitochondrial respiration could have long-lasting benefits.

Look, all I know is thick air, like before it rains, or humid air ***** me up.

Elephanto

Look, all I know is thick air, like before it rains, or humid air ***** me up.

Thick air is harder to breath, what I'm implying is that if the atmospheric condition gives you headaches then perhaps your brain oxygenation capacity is unoptimal from low CO2. I think that's generally what headaches are, a lack of brain oxygenation. Also CO2 is a determinant factor in lowering Serotonin, I've read a couple times that you are trying to lower it so here is a systemic, chronic way that substances which temporarily inhibit Serotonin (and often cause rebounds) can't compete with.

zewe

@Peat Tong Hey there! I live in the northern part of the county in one of the little river towns. I can stroll over to the Allegheny any time I want....A green Mecca nestled in between an industrial wasteland!

Humidity certainly is a stressor for me. I'm waiting out the weather for cool nights and campfires.

@Frankdee20 feverfew never worked 4 my migraines. Plus it's an herb you have to take all the time for it to work. My migraines are histamine related. So, unless you have that problem....don't know if I can offer advice.

On thing though; are you well hydrated?

yomama

Oh for sure, but what about headaches, and that strange feeling behind your eyes, when sinus pressure is effected ?

I always suffered of headaches because changes in barometric pressure and only thing which worked for me was aspirin but cannot take it anymore so now I take Ginger and Ginkgo every day no matter the weather and a big amount of vit. B2 (300mg or more) just when the symptoms appear. Not so effective as taking aspirin but better than nothing.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

I always suffered of headaches because changes in barometric pressure and only thing which worked for me was aspirin but cannot take it anymore so now I take Ginger and Ginkgo every day no matter the weather and a big amount of vit. B2 (300mg or more) just when the symptoms appear. Not so effective as taking aspirin but better than nothing.

Yes I’ve read Ginger can be helpful and Ginko perhaps via its blood flow enhancement

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

Aspirin doesn’t really help

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom